Need help installing a script.

BlackShyne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently had a script created for a jewelry box. The person sent over a perfectly good working version along with the scripts. I have been trying for days now to recreate the working box with the same box i sent for him to work with but it seems to not work when I try to recreate it. The person who helped me with the script sent over a non mod script so I can't show any Code with a detailed notecard i followed. i have even sent him over the non working version and he sent me back a fully mod working version just the scripts are no mod. i have tried resetting scripts, setting them to running, using the same scripts that came from the working version, every keyword is the exact same i have even tried on the beta grid and nothing worked. im using the latest version of firestorm at this time FIRESTORM 6.5.3.65658. i welcome any suggestions and thank you for taken the time out to read my post. 

We can't help with no-mod scripts, that's something the scripter has to figure out. That's also one of the reasons I always sell custom commissions as full-perm.

Only thing you can do is ask for a careful side-by side comparison, your scripter passes you the script, you both do the same steps one at a time, and see if/where you get different results.

Tangent, but isn't the latest viewer version 6.5.5 now?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

We can't help with no-mod scripts, that's something the scripter has to figure out. That's also one of the reasons I always sell custom commissions as full-perm.

Only thing you can do is ask for a careful side-by side comparison, your scripter passes you the script, you both do the same steps one at a time, and see if/where you get different results.

Tangent, but isn't the latest viewer version 6.5.5 now?

the firestorm website says Firestorm Release 6.5.3.65658 but it can be a beta out somewhere idk lol :) but is there any way i can get in contact with you inworld and see if i can get the scripts done by you? 

There's not much we can do without seeing the script, as Tessa says. If you commissioned the script, though, why didn't you ask for a full perm copy? Especially for something as small as a script for a jewelry box, I can't believe that the scripter stands to gain very much by selling you only a no-mod copy and hoping to sell a zillion more like it.  If you are confident that the script does what you asked for -- because the one he installed in your box works -- then you might at least ask if he would sell you the full perm version for a slight extra fee.  Maybe.

Now, if you get a full perm version, do the scripter the courtesy of not posting it here. Once you have it, we can at least have a dialog about what you say is "not working" and can suggest things for you to look for.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There's not much we can do without seeing the script, as Tessa says. If you commissioned the script, though, why didn't you ask for a full perm copy? Especially for something as small as a script for a jewelry box, I can't believe that the scripter stands to gain very much by selling you only a no-mod copy and hoping to sell a zillion more like it.  If you are confident that the script does what you asked for -- because the one he installed in your box works -- then you might at least ask if he would sell you the full perm version for a slight extra fee.  Maybe.

Now, if you get a full perm version, do the scripter the courtesy of not posting it here. Once you have it, we can at least have a dialog about what you say is "not working" and can suggest things for you to look for.

thanks. i will ask now.

unfortunately they do no sale full perm scripts. 

Edited by BlackShyne

20 minutes ago, BlackShyne said:

unfortunately they do no sale full perm scripts. 

Well, then, that's one scripter I would probably not go back to, if I were you. I can't speak for others, but for something as small as scripting a jewelry box, though, I see no point in offering less than a full perm script. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, then, that's one scripter I would probably not go back to, if I were you. I can't speak for others, but for something as small as scripting a jewelry box, though, I see no point in offering less than a full perm script. 

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Hopefully i can find someone i can work with. thank you for your suggestions and taken the time to reply. 

3 hours ago, BlackShyne said:

I recently had a script created for a jewelry box. The person sent over a perfectly good working version along with the scripts. I have been trying for days now to recreate the working box with the same box i sent for him to work with but it seems to not work when I try to recreate it. 

It's puzzling what can even make this happen. I'm with @Quistess Alpha in wanting "a careful side-by side comparison", and you already have a working version with these scripts, and your unworking version with the same scripts and the same box, right? So couldn't you make that comparison? Indeed you've tried, "every keyword is the exact same", and still can't identify the difference.

One could dream up some wildly complex ways this could fail, but first I'd look at the simplest explanation: different link orders. But maybe you've already established that's identical between working and non-working copies. (Or, could it be even sillier, with the script depending on how the object is oriented?)

It just really seems you didn't get what you paid for, and the exercise is to prove it by identifying the bug without seeing the script. That's a forensic puzzle of some intrigue.

If you make a copy of the working object, the copy also works, right? If so, maybe start torturing those copies until they confess:

1. Remove and reinstall scrips. Still working?
  2. Remove scripts, make shift-drag copy of unscripted box, reinstall scripts into copy. Still working?
  3. Take Copy of rezzed working object, then rez the copy just taken into Inventory. Working?
  4. (time consuming) Unlink and relink entire assembly, preserving link order. Still?
  5. (much more time consuming) Unlink and relink entire assembly, except replace one link with one from an unworking copy, and test, over and over, until every link has been replaced. When did it stop working? (Maybe get luckier if start testing sequence by replacing just Root link.)
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

(Is there any utility in listing such a process? Or what's missing? what's next? what would be a better sequence?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's puzzling what can even make this happen. I'm with @Quistess Alpha in wanting "a careful side-by side comparison", and you already have a working version with these scripts, and your unworking version with the same scripts and the same box, right? So couldn't you make that comparison? Indeed you've tried, "every keyword is the exact same", and still can't identify the difference.

One could dream up some wildly complex ways this could fail, but first I'd look at the simplest explanation: different link orders. But maybe you've already established that's identical between working and non-working copies. (Or, could it be even sillier, with the script depending on how the object is oriented?)

It just really seems you didn't get what you paid for, and the exercise is to prove it by identifying the bug without seeing the script. That's a forensic puzzle of some intrigue.

If you make a copy of the working object, the copy also works, right? If so, maybe start torturing those copies until they confess:

2. Remove scripts, make shift-drag copy of unscripted box, reinstall scripts into copy. Still working?
  3. Take Copy of rezzed working object, then rez the copy just taken into Inventory. Working?
  4. (time consuming) Unlink and relink entire assembly, preserving link order. Still?
  5. (much more time consuming) Unlink and relink entire assembly, except replace one link with one from an unworking copy, and test, over and over, until every link has been replaced. When did it stop working? (Maybe get luckier if start testing sequence by replacing just Root link.)
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

(Is there any utility in listing such a process? Or what's missing? what's next? what would be a better sequence?)

Yes, all this. But you shouldn't have to figure it out, the scripter should be able to help you understand. If not..then you were not given a fair deal.

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, all this. But you shouldn't have to figure it out, the scripter should be able to help you understand. If not..then you were not given a fair deal.

Yeah, but where's the serialized podcast in that?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

6. ???
  7. Profit!

thanks for the suggestions i will give them a try.

• Like 2

Given that most scripters know how commonly scripts fail when they change ownership,  it's surprising how often they forget to provide some easy way to reset a script. Even a simple reset on rez can make life easier for the end user. It's especially important if you're writing no-mod scripts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Given that most scripters know how commonly scripts fail when they change ownership,  it's surprising how often they forget to provide some easy way to reset a script. Even a simple reset on rez can make life easier for the end user. It's especially important if you're writing no-mod scripts.

Yeah, my thoughts were that it was probably something related t not resetting on owner change, or not resetting when the links are changed/renamed. Both of which are fairly simple to add to a script.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.