I am looking for an alternative method to derender objects (because my current viewer doesn't have that feature).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for an alternative way to derender objects.  In Firestorm, all I have to do is right-click an object > select More > select More again > click Derender > and then select Temporary or Blacklist.

But I am trying a new viewer called Alchemy which loads textures way faster than the Firestorm and SL viewers, and Alchemy doesn't have that feature.

I like to derender objects when taking snapshots, because they might take away from the immersion and beauty of the scenery.  For instance, the other day I was in a forest in front of an old plane that had crashed decades ago.  I wanted to take a snapshot, but there were half a dozen ugly green arrows painted on the dirt path that I was standing next to.  So I derendered them.  Also, sometimes my neighbors rezz stuff that are an eye sore and don't blend in well with the environment.  So I like to derender those types of objects too.

So I'm hoping that there is an alternative method to derendering objects, maybe by using the Advanced or Develop menus.  Or by adding information to a viewer file.

In Alchemy, I can go to Advanced > Highlighting and Visibility > and then select 'Hide Selected'.  Then if I edit an object, that object will be hidden.  The problem with this is that Alchemy does not allow you to hide object highlights when you have them selected in the Edit / Building Tools menu.  And also, this method only allows you to hide one object a a time when I often have to hide dozens of objects at the same time before taking a snapshot.

I found out that in Alchemy, I can right click an object and select 'Copy ID'.  I did that on a random object just now and the ID was "26c5d736-0d5f-dd6a-f2eb-95dd29041ed4".  So can I do something with this ID?  Like click on an Advanced or Develop option and use this ID to derender the object?  Or is there a viewer file that I can edit where I can manually paste this ID in to derender the object?

I'm just trying to learn all of the possibilities and options that might exist, instead of just giving up and switching viewers every time that I want to take a picture.  I really like Alchemy's speed so I want to figure out a way to stay in Alchemy without having to log out and then log in on a different, slower viewer.

Edited by SonofaNoob

22 hours ago, SonofaNoob said:

But I am trying a new viewer called Alchemy

New?
The most recent update dates back to 19 September 2020. 
Looking at their source code there has not much activity at all since then. A few minor a changes to the code and that's it.

Don't hold your breath on any significant updates, the viewer is just as dead as Singularity (it's predecessor) is.

12 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

New?
The most recent update dates back to 19 September 2020. 
Looking at their source code there has not much activity at all since then. A few minor a changes to the code and that's it.

Don't hold your breath on any significant updates, the viewer is just as dead as Singularity (it's predecessor) is.

I only installed it a few days ago.  When I went to the website, I also saw that the latest update was September 2020.  And I questioned them on this.  But they told me that it was still being updated and that there are newer versions.  They directed me to their Discord, which is listed on their website.  In one of the Discord channels are links to each new release.  Which in turn sends you to their GitLab.  And I don't know how to download stuff from GitLab, but a SL group person send me a direct download link in an instant message.  I am not holding my breath on updates.  I just like their viewer because it is 400-500% faster.  And I'm just trying to figure out "workarounds" for the features that they are missing.  Oh, going back to their website.  I didn't understand the secrecy of it all.  Of them not just putting the newer releases on their website.  They said something about that being the latest stable version.  But two years is a long time for a latest stable version.  But once again, I am THRILLED to be using Alchemy, because anywhere I go, no matter how laggy the sim is, and no matter how long textures usually take to load, load almost instantly in Alchemy.  How can I not be happy with that?  It's just little things like not being able to derender objects, not being able to remove object highlights when editing, and stuff like that... that gives me a little grief.  But yeah, it's getting regular updates.  I forgot how often, but I think it's every month, or maybe even more frequent than that.

Edited by SonofaNoob

A few days ago, I downloaded Alchemy Project AgileAkita 6.5.3.1468 and after reading this thread, checked to see if there was an option to derender objects.  Unfortunately, I did not see any.. I could block objects, but it had no effect as the objects were still visible. 

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

A few days ago, I downloaded Alchemy Project AgileAkita 6.5.3.1468 and after reading this thread, checked to see if there was an option to derender objects.  Unfortunately, I did not see any.. I could block objects, but it had no effect as the objects were still visible. 

Yeah, there definitely isn't  an option to derender objects in the latest Alchemy.  I'm just looking for "workarounds".  No one seems to know of any though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a beautiful parcel of land, where the sunset is viewable from one limited angle. The parcel owner next to me decided to put up a billboard, at the max height, the screams eye sore RIGHT at the VERY TIPPY edge of my parcel, blocking my view. It has flags on it from different levels; all "flap" over my boundary, basically encroaching on my parcel. What are the options other than moving? And, what would prevent someone from putting their land for sale, putting up a bunch of litter on the parcel, just to basically force the owner of an adjacent parcel to buy it to not have to deal with all the crap next door. Like IRL, there has to be some type of land use covenants, right? Can someone link me to where I find these in a TOS or similar? thanks

I guess I could put up a huge wall to block it, but I imagine that would trigger some type of neighbor spat.

Edited by Halo Fatale
adding

10 hours ago, Halo Fatale said:

I have a beautiful parcel of land, where the sunset is viewable from one limited angle. The parcel owner next to me decided to put up a billboard, at the max height, the screams eye sore RIGHT at the VERY TIPPY edge of my parcel, blocking my view. It has flags on it from different levels; all "flap" over my boundary, basically encroaching on my parcel. What are the options other than moving? […]

A bit Mountain v Mohammed, but with EEP you could move the sunset as viewed from your parcel.

• Like 1

@Qie Niangao's solution to the sunset direction is brilliant! Read up about using EEP and make good use of it.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Environmental_Enhancement_Project#How_To_EEP

Any part of a neighbour's object that protrudes across your parcel boundary can be RETURNED by you. Right-click it and choose "Return". The entire object will be sent back to its owner's inventory. This includes the Bounding Box of an object protruding, which isn't normally visible.

Use Ctrl+Alt+T to make invisible objects show up.

Use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P to show parcel boundary lines.

Sadly, as already stated, there is nothing you can do about the billboard if it's entirely on your neighbour's parcel unless you change to a different viewer that offers the Derender function.

Edited by Odaks
Slight correction

I can't return it because the base of it is not on my parcel. The flag just flaps into my parcel, unfortunately.

I am returning after 15 years, so re-learning everything has been a curve. I have figured out how to tweek the environment at the minimum level, but will check into learning how to move the sun.

Edited by Halo Fatale

1 hour ago, Halo Fatale said:

I can't return it because the base of it is not on my parcel. The flag just flaps into my parcel, unfortunately.

when the flags are mounted parallel to the parcel boundary then yes we can't return them as the flapping is a client side effect. However you should be able to Abuse Report them, as an encroachment onto your parcel.  Category: Land > Encroachment > Objects or Textures. As the effect on your parcel is the same as particles drifting over a neighbouring parcel

the neighbour should at the very least move the flags back from the boundary so that flags don't flap (drift) over your parcel. Just moving them back tho, may or may not be your preference, but is their choice to make 

Edited by Mollymews
encroach
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Halo Fatale said:

I'm fairly sure that the base (root) doesn't have to be on your parcel for you to be able to return it. If any part of the actual object overhangs the boundary, you should be able to return it. But, as @Mollymewspoints out, the flapping is just an effect and not part of the object itself.

I can't test this at the moment but someone will soon correct me if I'm wrong!

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.