How do I turn off that $#@$# radio station on my new Linden Home?

Daz Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Do I have to get into Developer mode, or similar, to find an object that's playing a radio station every time I go to my home, a Linden home?

By the way, can I set up my own music, streamed from a website, for any visitor that visits?

Thank you for your help.

• Confused 2

5 answers to this question

37 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can hear music in SL from any of four sources.
1. The parcel music stream. […]
2. The parcel media stream. […]
3. An object […]
4. The Voice channel […]

For completeness, I'd squeeze in a #2.5 for Media on a Prim (MoaP) aka "Shared Media" which can be on any side of any object, either scripted or manually edited directly in the Build Tool's "Texture" tab. Off the top of my head I'm not sure muting object sounds will work to stop this, but you can definitely disable it, per stream, in the viewer's media and audio controls (far upper right of the viewer window) and scanning that list is how I'd check to see if it's even the thing I'm hearing. (This is distinct from simple object sounds played by llLoopSound or llTriggerSound which is what I think #3 was discussing. It's also not parcel media described in #2 because it's associated with an object not the parcel.)

• Like 1

You can hear music in SL from any of four sources.

1. The parcel music stream. As the owner of the parcel, you can set this. The most convenient way is by means of any of the many SL "radios" available for sale. I like the one from Trigitec, but there are many options. But you don't need a device at all. Go into About Land and click the Sound tab. Delete the Music URL you see there, or paste a streaming URL of your choice.

image.png.8924e193d19ca142cdac0d5e373b0cd6.png

Note: there is no need to remove the stream, if it's one you like but don't choose to listen to at the moment. Just go into Preferences. In the Sound & Media tab, Music sub-tab (this example is from the Firestorm viewer, but other viewers will have a similar setting) UN-check the first box, "Allow audio streams to auto-play".

image.png.55da0c6d284f033b9e1712eaf13c1bda.png

2. The parcel media stream. This is used for playing video, but as we all know, movies are no longer silent, and have an audio stream. Even if you aren't watching SL TV, you can still hear the audio stream of media that's playing. Click the Media tab in About Land and delete the URL you find there, similar to the Music URL.

3. An object on your land, or on the land of your inconsiderate neighbor, who forgot to restrict object sounds to their own parcel. If it's your own object you can remove it. If it's your neighbor's, you can speak to them, or you can simply right click it and choose Block, to mute both the object and its owner.

4. The Voice channel of inconsiderate avatars who use it to inflict their choice of music on anyone in chat distance.  Solution: move further away from the offender, or Block them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Daz Karas said:

Hello,

Do I have to get into Developer mode, or similar, to find an object that's playing a radio station every time I go to my home, a Linden home?

By the way, can I set up my own music, streamed from a website, for any visitor that visits?

Thank you for your help.

could be media instead of music

You can't force others to listen to your stream / media, they always have the choice to disable that function and listen to their own music ( not parcel bound and out of SL )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.