Deploy Plan for the Week of 2022-01-31

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Hello everyone! This week we'll be restarting Second Life Server and all RCs at their usual times of 6 AM Pacific on Tuesday and 7 AM Pacific on Wednesday respectively. We had hoped to get a new DRTSIM out but ran into an issue with the dataserver event firing when it should not under some circumstances.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

About an hour until the Main Channel restarts begin. It's good to hear something, but I admit I am worried. It was a while before I realised some of the old Second-Life-specific info sources have changed. I think I know why I missed the introduction of the Second Life on Google Calendar because of some local problems I had. That's better than the old wiki-based info pages on the user-group meeting, and it might be worth adding rolling restarts.

I hope things to work OK this week, For the user groups, the locations used on Tuesdays maybe ought to be on the RC Channel, and the various Wednesday user groups should use an MC Channel region. Though I see we have UG meetings, both days, held in Denby region.

Was anyone ever able to look into how easy it would be to change the restart process to give more than 5 minutes notice?  Changing it to 10 minutes would really go a long way to avoid work disruption when people need to take a bathroom break, feed a pet, etc.  During group activities it would give a more reasonable amount of time to find another place for the group to go.  Having 10 minutes notice would create a much more stable environment in general compared to only having 5 minutes notice, with no real impact on the rollout time frame.  With an additional 5 minutes for the warning, nearly all regions would still complete the rollout within the current stated time window.

1 hour ago, Sayrah Parx said:

Was anyone ever able to look into how easy it would be to change the restart process to give more than 5 minutes notice?  Changing it to 10 minutes would really go a long way to avoid work disruption when people need to take a bathroom break, feed a pet, etc.  During group activities it would give a more reasonable amount of time to find another place for the group to go.  Having 10 minutes notice would create a much more stable environment in general compared to only having 5 minutes notice, with no real impact on the rollout time frame.  With an additional 5 minutes for the warning, nearly all regions would still complete the rollout within the current stated time window.

Maybe file a feature request? https://jira.secondlife.com/

23 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Hello everyone! This week we'll be restarting Second Life Server and all RCs at their usual times of 6 AM Pacific on Tuesday and 7 AM Pacific on Wednesday respectively. We had hoped to get a new DRTSIM out but ran into an issue with the dataserver event firing when it should not under some circumstances.

Are the maintenance restarts for the Main Server Channel still going? According to the GSP, they are but... look at the time. And the GSP never gained much trust, at least from me.

However, my home sim (Nuggy) has been on the Main Channel for years, and hasn't been restarted yet. Is there some issue?

[EDIT] Never mind. (but Nuggy wasn't restarted)

Completed
The scheduled maintenance has been completed.
Posted 17 minutes ago. Feb 01, 2022 - 14:00 PST
Edited by MBeatrix
adding info

1 hour ago, MBeatrix said:

Are the maintenance restarts for the Main Server Channel still going? According to the GSP, they are but... look at the time. And the GSP never gained much trust, at least from me.

However, my home sim (Nuggy) has been on the Main Channel for years, and hasn't been restarted yet. Is there some issue?

[EDIT] Never mind. (but Nuggy wasn't restarted)

Completed
The scheduled maintenance has been completed.
Posted 17 minutes ago. Feb 01, 2022 - 14:00 PST

ya seems like they forgot to restart the main channels today, Cavanaugh on the mainland never got restarted

7 minutes ago, VenKellie said:

ya seems like they forgot to restart the main channels today, Cavanaugh on the mainland never got restarted

Some did, some didnt. I manage 2 different regions both on Main, one restarted, the other didnt... and yet... both restarted yesterday without scheduling, one of which 2 times. Both had under 10 days uptime, so I can't figure out this randomness.

Reading the above I am perhaps fortunate that Woods of Heaven DID get a restart today!  The pity of it is that having been nice and stable, it looks as though the restart put us on a poorly performing simulator, and the script performance is nothing like as good, sometime dropping to 85%, though the TD seems stable.

While I have no proof of issues, the fact that several regions have been missed (AGAIN) and the Roll took 8 hours all point to things not having gone smoothly.

Edited by Aishagain

Again, today both sims I manage restarted, after 6AM SL time, even though the restart is scheduled only for tomorrow, and I'm sure it will happen tomorrow too. This is at least the 3rd week I'm observing this behavior. I am sure other sims have restarted aswell. *shrugs*

Going by what Mazidox said last week it seems highly unlikely that there will be any restarts to Main Server regions tomorrow, despite the Status Page announcement which appears to be automatic.

The restarts that Hyperplexed mentions give me some cause for concern, but we cannot expect any revelations from LL, it's just not their style.

SL used to be reasonably predictable but that phase is now past.

• Lindens

To indirectly address some of the concerns raised here:

• We've been experimenting with rolling slightly slower (at the scale of our main grid, this in practice means fewer simhosts [the machines that hold multiple simulators] being updated at once). This has led to better outcomes for both Residents (more options on where to go when the screen starts shaking) and our backend systems (fewer regions stopping and starting at once means less pressure on those systems).
  • We had some connectivity issues last week (xenomorph in the vents, oh dear 😰) which led to a portion of simhosts restart commands not being received by our servers. We determined that it would be more disruptive to do an additional rolling restart than to just let them continue running until this week when they'll be restarted as normal.
  • Confused 1

Yep, restarted yesterday, and also again today, just now, as predicted. I'm all up for doing more than one restart per week, as long as it is scheduled and predictable and I dont see any benefits of making 2 restarts, one day after another. Don't understand either how 2 restarts will help with either performance or reduce the stress. If the plan is for example, restart the simulators in different days to reduce the stress, then someone might have forgotten to remove them from the list restarting on Tuesdays too.

Something just doesn't add up.

Estate owners and managers can restart regions automatically via a button on the Region/Estate floater's Debug tab and will often do so in response to a tenant's (or other residents) complaint about the region's performance.

Residents can report misbehaving regions via a support ticket or live chat (if premium), and this will, in my experience, prompt a restart pretty quickly if necessary.

That's two ways unscheduled restarts can happen.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Estate owners and managers can restart regions automatically via a button on the Region/Estate floater's Debug tab and will often do so in response to a tenant's (or other residents) complaint about the region's performance.

Residents can report misbehaving regions via a support ticket or live chat (if premium), and this will, in my experience, prompt a restart pretty quickly if necessary.

That's two ways unscheduled restarts can happen.

Yes and for the past 3-4 weeks someone other than me, the owner or the other manager, somoen asked to restart the sim on Monday after 6AM SLT? I doubt, and if any resident could ask a restart just when it feels like, it would be pretty silly, if there is no problem with the region. I spend almost all my online time in said region, and I would know about any problem, and could restart if a problem was indeed  happening. 

Regardless, the region owner already made a ticket last week to understand what is happening, because as I said this is like the 3rd or 4th week in a row this happens. Restarts on Mondays after 6AM, no one with the ability to restart the region, other than Linden Labs as done so.

It can be hard telling whether a region is on the Tuesday or Wednesday sets. I am pretty sure my Home region has switched, but as long as they're running the same Server version I can't be sure. Depends on which regions are on the same hardware server, but "Expect the unexpected" almost has to be the rule.

31 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

It can be hard telling whether a region is on the Tuesday or Wednesday sets. I am pretty sure my Home region has switched, but as long as they're running the same Server version I can't be sure. Depends on which regions are on the same hardware server, but "Expect the unexpected" almost has to be the rule.

That is actually easy to figure out. go to a region that you are certain that restarts on Tuesdays (Main Channel). If you see the warning that you have entered in a different simulator version, then it means that the channel of the region you left, is on a RC Channel (restarts on wednesdays). I have a "list" of regions I know that they are on RC, so I always go there while I wait for restart on Tuesdays. So far, has never failed me.

11 hours ago, Hyperplexed said:

That is actually easy to figure out. go to a region that you are certain that restarts on Tuesdays (Main Channel). If you see the warning that you have entered in a different simulator version, then it means that the channel of the region you left, is on a RC Channel (restarts on wednesdays). 

That method is only true if the RC channels are actually on a different simulator version.  Recently on several occasions the entire grid has been running the same simulator version and your method is of no use, as Arabella notes.

The only really foolproof method is to have restart monitors on several regions and to then note the day on which the region rolls.  Even this method is rendered less useful when, as has happened to a few regions this year already, either the region is "missed out" of a roll, or is rolled/restarted on a non-standard day, such as Monday.

Edited by Aishagain

On 2/9/2022 at 3:29 AM, Aishagain said:

That method is only true if the RC channels are actually on a different simulator version.  Recently on several occasions the entire grid has been running the same simulator version and your method is of no use, as Arabella notes.

The only really foolproof method is to have restart monitors on several regions and to then note the day on which the region rolls.  Even this method is rendered less useful when, as has happened to a few regions this year already, either the region is "missed out" of a roll, or is rolled/restarted on a non-standard day, such as Monday.

I don't recall saying it was foolproof or not, maybe you have misread the post? I mentioned a way to know for certain, if it is a different channel, when you get the message saying "different version". As your own message implies, it may not always get that, in which case, it is inconclusive. *shrugs*

And on that I added:

On 2/8/2022 at 4:07 PM, Hyperplexed said:

I have a "list" of regions I know that they are on RC

which means, using your own words, I have monitored them.

I'm sorry if my english is not clear enough, not a native speaker =(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.