Are there non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiyas Coffee:

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

blockchain is a distributed system

only a tiny percentage of distributed systems involve blockchains

AI and blockchain have nothing in common, that's buzzword bingo.

I am not sure why you think this, but I work in AI. In Chaos Theory, Complexity Theory and Emergence. That is not buzzword bingo. AI makes use of Distributed Systems and in Blockchain especially in non-linear systems (which lay at the heart of real AI). Indeed, my data scientists must know these technologies to get a position. Not sure where you are getting your info from. Additionally, Banks, Health companies and Insurance companies are all experimenting with Distributed systems and Blockchain - especially in regard to their customers funds and in Predictive Analytics (which is based today on AI.) So NO this is not buzzword bingo.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Crypto is an environmental disaster and a speculative ponzi scheme at best.

I have no idea, honestly, what you mean by this, The stock market is a legitimate tool. People make and lose money every minute of every day. Why would you think BitCoin etc. is a Ponzi scheme? It is, I will grant you, a new method of currency, but it certainly does not work in the Ponzi rule of law. I am confused by this statement and have no clue what you mean by an "environmental disaster"?

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's not what motivates any of the parties involved. 

My whole point. It had better motivate them if they want to survive.

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We have already lost. We are not part of the metaverse future, that market will be dominated by players with astronomical budgets to burn capturing a market they get to define.

If we become more than an annoyance or novelty, then you can expect us to get bought and retired. 

you may be correct. I do not think LL has already lost, though if they do not improve and innovate swiftly, they certainly will. 10 Billion dollars is a lot to go up against. But LL is already positioned in certain areas and can use that positioning to disrupt the disruptor. But that is a whole diff.discussion. 

I do agree there are limited options here, most of which may lead to the demise of SL. Being bought out to be killed off, being ignored, becoming an old-age novelty (remember Palace Chat..in which a great deal of the roots of SL rest?) But I do not think the fight is over unless Rosedale et..al. think they are going to beat Zuckerberg at his own game. That would be disastrous. 

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So why would LL allow crypto .. why would actual govts allow crypto .. You might think they have no choice, but they do and can change the rules to suit their goals.

Thought I was clear, perhaps not. LL will never allow crypto according to its current way of working. Governments and Banks will be forced to allow crypto, sooner or later. Most look upon it as a currency stock-market where price fluctuates wildly. Since Govts. realize they cannot control it, and it does exist BIG TIME,  then the only way to deal with it is to legitimize it so it can be taxed and regulated as all currencies are. 

In the part of the world where I live, Crypto is already being tested within R&D departments at Banks and so in BlockChain.

I am again not sure why you think this is a Ponzi scheme, or has anything to do with the environment, but to each their own perspective. 

Have an awesome day :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TaraSimone Sixpence said:

Sorry, these "news" stories just do not hold any "water." Probably could make the same exact argument for using your computer, cell, and iPad in a much better manner.

Um, Rowan's link is to a work published by an adjunct institution at Columbia University. You know, one of the most prestigious universities in the US?

It's not just a "news" story -- we're not talking Fox or CNN here.

And my cell phone isn't consuming enough energy to power a town, unlike some of the server farms being used to produce crypto-currency.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6

On 1/25/2022 at 10:19 AM, TaraSimone Sixpence said:

Hiyas Rowan:

This is where i bow out. Sorry, these "news" stories just do not hold any "water." Probably could make the same exact argument for using your computer, cell, and iPad in a much better manner. 

Nope. Not getting into this debate. To me it is ludicrous.

Have an awesome day :)

:Enjoy!

Ummmm our iPads, cells, and home computers are not ANT farms running hundreds and hundreds of ASIC computers 24/7 @ 2630w each to solve the chain just to add a block...  This is the issue with the environment and crypto

• Like 3

the day that SL touches NFTs (and I really hope to god that they don't) is the day I cut my two premium memberships using actual money and retire after 16 years.

i've already dropped arizona tea and pepsi products for dabbling in it.

I have seen countless times where artists are having their content stolen and resold in the ponzi scheme, websites like opensea stop accepting DMCA claims, people having several thousand 3080's in warehouses consuming MW of power to mine cryptocrap crippling the power grid and making the global chip shortage worse than it needs to be. people running things like CAD and stuff stuck on cards 4 generations old because if by chance you CAN find anything in stock, it's 10x over MSRP.

NFTs and crypto are a legitimate harmful cancer for everyone.

FCLZejJXEAIxNPu.thumb.jpg.4cc575b1e9dc1096c8d81fb7a0c5be0d.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swedishfox Ghost said:

the day that SL touches NFTs (and I really hope to god that they don't) is the day I cut my two premium memberships using actual money and retire after 16 years.

i've already dropped arizona tea and pepsi products for dabbling in it.

I have seen countless times where artists are having their content stolen and resold in the ponzi scheme, websites like opensea stop accepting DMCA claims, people having several thousand 3080's in warehouses consuming MW of power to mine cryptocrap crippling the power grid and making the global chip shortage worse than it needs to be. people running things like CAD and stuff stuck on cards 4 generations old because if by chance you CAN find anything in stock, it's 10x over MSRP.

NFTs and crypto are a legitimate harmful cancer for everyone.

FCLZejJXEAIxNPu.thumb.jpg.4cc575b1e9dc1096c8d81fb7a0c5be0d.jpg

Not a bad explanation, except it leaves out the part where the person selling the NFT tries to torch the actual Mona Lisa because that will increase the market "value" of the NFT.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.