Are there non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just curious. I'm wondering if I already have NFTs (for example, I'm wondering if my breedable Fawns are NFTs because they are assigned a code for the server to keep track of them.)

As you can probably tell I'm still in the process of understanding NFTs, blockchains, and whatever.

Gawd I hope not. NFTs are just another form of cash grab and a waste of resources. IMHO.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Those Zenescope and Universe V2 NFTs exist outside of SL. Still no actual NFTs in Second Life.

Zenescope seems to have abandoned their SL project. I did phase I of their quest months ago. At the end, there's a portal, and a "Phase II coming soon" sign. But Phase II never came.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, animats said:

Zenescope seems to have abandoned their SL project. I did phase I of their quest months ago. At the end, there's a portal, and a "Phase II coming soon" sign. But Phase II never came.

I think Brett Linden mentioned in a recent interview they're going to be starting work on phase 2 soon.

I don't get it, though.

Most of these collabs have turned out to be nothing but setting up regions to showcase obscure creators' portfolios as you almost never see people visit the regions after the first few days.

Do these guys even pay LL anything?

• Like 2

hopefully people soon wake up from all the NFT and crypto stuff and realize they are being bamboozled (thankfully the "value on this stuff is starting to fall and with Kosovo  outright banning funny money mining causing a huge dip in the hash rate will make it drop faster. 

https://slashdot.org/story/22/01/17/0518247/after-kosovo-suspends-cryptocurrency-mining-miners-scramble-to-sell-off-their-equipment

14 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

as you almost never see people visit the regions after the first few days.

As a quest, it's pretty disappointing. You get to visit the gift shop, which has rather uninteresting merch.There's a mansion, but nothing happens there. There's a miniature golf course. Not a good one. There's a fast food place, where nothing happens. There's a maze - just follow the left wall. And then you're at the closed portal to Phase II and done.

Zenescope just isn't trying. They have good content. But not in SL.

GFTSteampunk_TPB_Cover_1024x1024.jpg?v=1

Now this is what Zenescope should have put into SL.

That outfit should be available at their gift shop. And at a store in New Babbage. They could encourage Zenescope roleplay. Make machinima. Put videos on YouTube. But no. They did the minimum, and nobody cares.

• Like 3

Currency (issued by governments or by private companies such as LL) is all about consent value, a group of people agrees that a specific object has certain value that can be used to trading goods and favors amount themselves. The same object has little or no value to people outside of the group. Linden is a perfect example, we all agree the value of Linden so we can buy stuff inworld. But Linden is worthless outside of SL. Same applies to all cryptos and their NFTs, except the two major crypto (Bitcoin and Eth) have tens of million of people agree their value.

As for SL NFTs, I think there is an opportunity for LL to starts its own blockchain for inworld NFT, not for minting Lindens. Currently copybots can copy any objects which renders "rare" non-copy items meaningless. If a LL blockchain tokenized (minting NFT) a non-copy item, then in theory, LL could make SL to automatically delete pirated items that aren't tokenized. Then the item would truly be a one of kind in SL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oct Oyen said:

As for SL NFTs, I think there is an opportunity for LL to starts its own blockchain for inworld NFT, not for minting Lindens. Currently copybots can copy any objects which renders "rare" non-copy items meaningless. If a LL blockchain tokenized (minting NFT) a non-copy item, then in theory, LL could make SL to automatically delete pirated items that aren't tokenized. Then the item would truly be a one of kind in SL.

I don't think the market for rarities and collectibles is the kind of market we need in Second Life. We just have to look at NFTs to see what an absolute s--t show that became

• Like 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

As a quest, it's pretty disappointing. You get to visit the gift shop, which has rather uninteresting merch.There's a mansion, but nothing happens there. There's a miniature golf course. Not a good one. There's a fast food place, where nothing happens. There's a maze - just follow the left wall. And then you're at the closed portal to Phase II and done.

Zenescope just isn't trying. They have good content. But not in SL.

GFTSteampunk_TPB_Cover_1024x1024.jpg?v=1

Now this is what Zenescope should have put into SL.

That outfit should be available at their gift shop. And at a store in New Babbage. They could encourage Zenescope roleplay. Make machinima. Put videos on YouTube. But no. They did the minimum, and nobody cares.

Did you forget who built all the content? Do you think Zenescope instructed LL to build crappy gift shops and miniature golf courses? I don't think Zenescope is fully to blame. I think it was more of the same old half-a$$ery LL is known for. Then again, the sentiment could have been, "Nobody is really going to care about this obscure IP so why should we put much work into it?" and sadly, part of me sympathizes with that. 😕

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't think the market for rarities and collectibles is the kind of market we need in Second Life. We just have to look at NFTs to see what an absolute s--t show that became

Like any new markets, it's always messy at the beginning. Also the cost of minting NFT filters out a lot of junks.

The current NFT market now has a unique factor, there is a lot of crypto-rich people who bought crypto coins at the beginning when $100 of ETH is worth $1 million now. So, spending a few thousand dollars of ETH on NFTs for them is like a few bucks of their original cost.

I recently had my first fair share with NFTs around my job. The company I work for included in it's 2022 roadmap the inclusion of NFT products and services in it's portfolio. 

Although I don't see any logic behind owning something that you don't actually have in your possession, the market is pushing a lot towards them in hopes for new breakthroughs in sales and revenue growth as we're slowly going towards the metaverse and digital reality.

On a side note, the company Steam have developed a very interesting approach towards NFTs on their platform.

nftsss.JPG

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.