A question about reviews in SL Marketplace.

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw this issue at the product review of another merchant.

So that merchant offers DEMO for a clothing and its same as the original product including the same HUD except the demo is nocopy+nomodify and it has hovering demo sign. (I know it as I bought both demo and then product too and I'm happy with it).

Same day when I went to review it, saw an "one star" review for the product by saying "not good - I don't like it".

I think the following two arguments are possible.

Argument 1. Though the demo and the product similar, that customer might get different experience later. So the customers are entitled to put whatever their opinion and give stars accordingly. Besides LL don't have capacity and its not wroth it for LL to test individual products (when complained) to find out if the demo and product same, so LL can't do anything about it.

Argument 2. But in other hand that review damages to the product's good-will and search visibility even though another customer gives good rating. Also based on LL-MP terms, the merchant can't re-list it. As the merchant offer same demo, its customers responsibility to test it enough time before buy. Therefore LL should remove that review.

What do you think about it?

11 hours ago, MeshPromo said:

I saw this issue at the product review of another merchant.

So that merchant offers DEMO for a clothing and its same as the original product including the same HUD except the demo is nocopy+nomodify and it has hovering demo sign. (I know it as I bought both demo and then product too and I'm happy with it).

Same day when I went to review it, saw an "one star" review for the product by saying "not good - I don't like it".

I think the following two arguments are possible.

Argument 1. Though the demo and the product similar, that customer might get different experience later. So the customers are entitled to put whatever their opinion and give stars accordingly. Besides LL don't have capacity and its not wroth it for LL to test individual products (when complained) to find out if the demo and product same, so LL can't do anything about it.

Argument 2. But in other hand that review damages to the product's good-will and search visibility even though another customer gives good rating. Also based on LL-MP terms, the merchant can't re-list it. As the merchant offer same demo, its customers responsibility to test it enough time before buy. Therefore LL should remove that review.

What do you think about it?

The particular review that you mentioned is not really helpful, but pretty much no websites require the reviews to actually be helpful.

Even with a workable HUD for a clothing demo item, when I demo the item, if there are lots of options on the HUD (ability to color 6 different areas of said item different ways), I likely will not go through them all.  I'll probably check a few colors/patterns of each thing that can be changed, but mostly my demo is concentrating on fit as I stand, walk, sit, and use various poses.  Thus it is possible that after I get the item and start trying out more of the colors/patterns, I might decide that the majority suck IMO because maybe I think the patterns are not made well and do not line up well, etc....   In those cases, even though I did try the demo, and may even continue to use the product, my opinion of the quality of the product may drop quite a bit and thus I should be entitled to leave a 'lower than stellar' review.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Go read the one-star reviews for your favourite book. It's perfectly normal for items to get a range of reviews. It's much more harmful for something with a lot of reviews to have zero bad reviews, because that doesn't usually happen unless the reviews are fake. You need the bad to make it clear the good are the real deal.

As this is as a customer, not your own product, make sure your review sticks to the point. Talk about why you like the product. Don't mention the other reviews. That's all the merchant needs from you.

• Like 1

In my experience the one star reviews  -- especially with no actual complaint -- are made by competitors.  The same when there are 10 ish five star reviews on a new product.  Some of my top selling products have NO reviews at all and I have sold thousands of them. So reviews that aren't chatty and give a lot of relevant info don't count at all in my book.

On the plus side LL seems to be removing bogus reviews more than in the past. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.