How long is a day in Second Life?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question.
I don't think it is even too important since many of us are connected from different parts of the world and that many are connected in the most disparate hours.
I always tend to optimize the viewer at midday so that I can see everything better.
But on some occasions I prefer to share the official world time.
But is a day in SL officially 24 hours?

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you could try google, as for most very common questions is the fastest way.

It's just that I love to create a relationship of pleasant exchange of views with the nicest and most gracious people on the forum.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

If you're referring to the length of an SL day/night cycle that would depend on the current day cycle setting for the region/parcel you're on.  You can find the length in seconds of the currently set day cycle using the llGetDayLength and llGetRegionDayLength LSL functions.

Thanks Fluffy.
I often read answers that contain what I understand is the computational language of Second Life.
But I haven't the faintest idea how I could use those strings and extrapolate reactive functions.
Should I cast them in the local chat? Do I need to create a script in an object and insert that function somehow?

Edit:

Sorry, now that I have clicked on the interactive text everything is clear to me. Thank you.

Edited by Tama Suki

Pretty sure that's just whatever time is on the wall clock at the Lab's San Francisco offices, so Pacific Standard Time now, Pacific Daylight Time in summer. The in-world time can vary arbitrarily from that, depending on "day" duration and offset. (I've never cared how SL's default 4-hour days are offset from that clock, but it should be observable in-world.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I don't think it is even too important since many of us are connected from different parts of the world and that many are connected in the most disparate hours.
I always tend to optimize the viewer at midday so that I can see everything better.

This is not the BEST place to have posted this question. But, neither is it a big thing to post something in the wrong place. If it really annoys someone they will ask the forum moderators to move it to a more appropriate place.

There is an Answers section in the forum. If you ask your tech and 'how to' questions there the forum software will prompt you to ask the question and search for an answer. This can save you waiting for an answer. Most questions have already been asked... numerous times.

A few places in SL actually do set their local day to a 24 hour day related to the RL location they reference.

You figured out the scripting/programming nature of the control functions Fluffy gave you. It is with those that we program and work with environments in a region. We divide the vertical space in a region into 4 zones. You can see that in Qie's post where Qie shows you the controls land owners use to establish the environment they want.

When you change your environment via viewer control you have lots of options. You can use the Shared Environment aka local region settings and then change the time of day in your viewer, which is part of the environment settings in your viewer. This will use the settings from the land owner for the various times of day. Depending on the region and your viewer settings clicking the simple buttons for morning, noon, night, or whatever the viewer will use the land owner's settings for that time. BUT... depending... it may not.

If you change your viewer's environment settings, that generally overrides the land owners settings. The only time your viewer's settings get over ridden is when the region uses an Experience and you OK the experience to control your viewer.

All this is a long way to say when looking at places experiment to see what the land owner has set for the environment. Some builders have created awesome environments to show off the world they have built in their region. Also, I hope that you pickup on the idea that while there are defaults in this SL world, they are just default settings not standards. Meaning there are many ways for region builders and visitors to experience the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

All this is a long way to say when looking at places experiment to see what the land owner has set for the environment. Some builders have created awesome environments to show off the world they have built in their region. Also, I hope that you pickup on the idea that while there are defaults in this SL world, they are just default settings not standards. Meaning there are many ways for region builders and visitors to experience the world.

When it comes to artistic inspiration, priority must be given to the author's vision of the environment.
Thank you all, all your answers were thorough.

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:41 AM, Tama Suki said:

By default, SL days last 4 hours, on a cycle of 3 hours day, and 1 one hour night, though this can be over-ridden, as others have noted.    If you switch your viewer setting from Midday to Use Shared Environment, then you'll see whatever the settings are for the parcel you're on.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.