Blackdragon: Items Missing in Viewer

iDaisyRay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I've never had this issue before and I'm not sure what's wrong. On my account only, furniture I put down aren't loading in. I can tell it's there because I walk on it, but it's invisible. I've logged in with my alt and I see it. It's on firestorm too. Though when I log into my main account on blackdragon it just doesn't show up. I have no idea what is going on, has anyone else had this problem?

13 answers to this question

It's not a Black Dragon issue. It's happening for people who use other viewers too, including the standard LL viewer. The objects have rezzed properly, but are not rendering visually.  Sometimes you can fix things by relogging, but not always.  Sometimes right clicking on an object will make it render but, again, not always. I have heard that some people have been able to cure the problem by clearing cache and then clicking on things that ought to be there.  Frankly, I do not know whether there is a solution that works for everyone.  This sort of behavior has occurred many times in the past in SL.  Years ago, it was called "ghosting", and there were many folk-remedies that seemed to work until LL finally made the problem go away with a software upgrade. We may be seeing the same sort of thing today.

• Thanks 1

This has happened to me off & on in the past, but definitely seems to be more frequent over the past 3-4 weeks.  First thing I do is TP out and back and waiting a few extra seconds for things to rez.  For some reason that almost always fixes the issue.  Some people find that switching to Wireframe mode (Advanced or Developer menu) and back works, but that almost never works for me.  As Rolig said, sometimes right clicking will work -- for me that one always works when one of my attachments doesn't show after a TP, but almost never for non-attached objects inworld.  I'd probably try a relog as a last resort -- and probably only after I had TP'd away and back a few times (then again, my inventory is huge so a relog is a big deal to me).

Side note:  It isn't just the Blackdragon viewer, as I use Firestorm almost exclusively.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Just as a follow-up .... I just had the ghosting experience myself, using the standard LL viewer (Second Life Release 6.5.2.566879 (64bit)). It was especially disconcerting because I had been working on a scripted object and had absent-mindedly logged off for lunch without saving my work (I know ... dumb newbie mistake). The ghosted object would not appear with CTRL+Alt+T, or with a wireframe view or by making physics shape visible, and no amount of clicking (right or left) on the spot where I knew I had left it made a difference.  Fortunately, teleporting away from the region and back again did cure it, as Lil suggested.  I've talked with a couple of other people today who had the same experience.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just as a follow-up .... I just had the ghosting experience myself, using the standard LL viewer (Second Life Release 6.5.2.566879 (64bit)). It was especially disconcerting because I had been working on a scripted object and had absent-mindedly logged off for lunch without saving my work (I know ... dumb newbie mistake). The ghosted object would not appear with CTRL+Alt+T, or with a wireframe view or by making physics shape visible, and no amount of clicking (right or left) on the spot where I knew I had left it made a difference.  Fortunately, teleporting away from the region and back again did cure it, as Lil suggested.  I've talked with a couple of other people today who had the same experience.

Yeah, that is what has always seemed really strange to me.  The item is there -- I can right click and edit the object, seeing the contents even and interact with it (walk into it, buy, touch, etc..) -- but it just doesn't show up.  

Just TPing to another spot on the region is not good enough - I actually have to TP out of the region and back in.

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, things are really bad today.  Everywhere I go, it seems there are items there that just won't rez unless I TP out and back - sometimes a couple of times.

Could it have anything to do with this in the Preferences/Firestorm/Protection...

• Texture Lag Protection:
    • Automatically hide large objects with high texture area: Enabling this will cause objects with large texture area to not be rendered. This can be used to combat griefing done via specific objects.
    • Threshold: Sets the threshold area to use; prims over this value will not be rendered. This may cause some normal objects to not display either.

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Could it have anything to do with this in the Preferences/Firestorm/Protection...

If that's a Firestorm feature, it wouldn't explain why people with the standard viewer, Black Dragon, and others are seeing the same thing.  Also, I can't say what sorts of objects are failing to render for other people, but I've had simple garden-variety plywood cubes go missing.  So it's not just large objects with large texture area. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

• Texture Lag Protection:
    • Automatically hide large objects with high texture area: Enabling this will cause objects with large texture area to not be rendered. This can be used to combat griefing done via specific objects.
    • Threshold: Sets the threshold area to use; prims over this value will not be rendered. This may cause some normal objects to not display either.

As Rolig mentions, it is happening in multiple viewers and happening with simple boxes that have no texture or only a single 512 texture.

One of the places I pick up Advent gifts - the building rezzes, the counter in the lobby and many/most of the items, but random boxes in the gift area do not rez.  They do rez when I TP out and back.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.