Inworld employment rules

Zopper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! Had some questions about inworld employment, let’s say you are wanting to get employed maybe for an custom meshing job inworld, how should the payment go by? Ive seen alot of people use tipjars? Just wondering how to go by this the right way

48 minutes ago, Zopper said:

Hello! Had some questions about inworld employment, let’s say you are wanting to get employed maybe for an custom meshing job inworld, how should the payment go by? Ive seen alot of people use tipjars? Just wondering how to go by this the right way

However you and the person who employed you want to do it. There is no right way. Why not just a direct payment of Lindens to you? I don't get why they are using a tipjar for things like this but as long as you get the L's then I don't see an issue with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zopper said:

Just post as "Mesher looking for commission" for the topic and as for you info you can add samples of your previous work. You can also mention what kind of meshing it is, as in for clothing, or is it for objects. For your payment like Sam said, ask direct Ls. Don't use tip jars, this is not hosting or DJ'ng. You're using your skills, hard work and time for this, so tip jars payment should be out of the question.

Lastly, you can add your contact info, inworld, discord or email. Well email is optional, people prefer inworld or discord more. And as for the samples, if you put some pictures or a mp link, or even a flickr for your previous work [portfolio], if people like what you doing [can be objects or clothing or anything else], they'll contact you directly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

However you and the person who employed you want to do it. There is no right way. Why not just a direct payment of Lindens to you? I don't get why they are using a tipjar for things like this but as long as you get the L's then I don't see an issue with it.

Okay great well what if the meshing is for clothing or jewelery for example, maybe they sent the Ls but then regret it and for some later are trying to issue an refund? Or maybe they put it up as fraud? What can somebody new like me do about this?

10 hours ago, karenx0 said:

Just post as "Mesher looking for commission" for the topic and as for you info you can add samples of your previous work. You can also mention what kind of meshing it is, as in for clothing, or is it for objects. For your payment like Sam said, ask direct Ls. Don't use tip jars, this is not hosting or DJ'ng. You're using your skills, hard work and time for this, so tip jars payment should be out of the question.

Lastly, you can add your contact info, inworld, discord or email. Well email is optional, people prefer inworld or discord more. And as for the samples, if you put some pictures or a mp link, or even a flickr for your previous work [portfolio], if people like what you doing [can be objects or clothing or anything else], they'll contact you directly.

That sounds great, but alot of people now days want to get an mesh job for clothing for example done, just to regret it and ask for money back? What can you do in situations like this. To not look like you are scamming people, lets say they saw my ad contacted me inworld payed first and got their mesh/ jewelry made, what if they dont like it regret it etc? What if someone wants their money back for example theres alot of ways this can play out and im just making sure i know everything, what would i have to do then? Or how can i go by this?

3 hours ago, Zopper said:

That sounds great, but alot of people now days want to get an mesh job for clothing for example done, just to regret it and ask for money back? What can you do in situations like this. To not look like you are scamming people, lets say they saw my ad contacted me inworld payed first and got their mesh/ jewelry made, what if they dont like it regret it etc? What if someone wants their money back for example theres alot of ways this can play out and im just making sure i know everything, what would i have to do then? Or how can i go by this?

Don't take the full amount before hand, take half first, and tell them that it's a no refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Maybe it's easier to dispute money paid to a tipjar .. there is no reasons for this practice, which implies there is a reason.

besides settling disputes, I suppose it would make oversight and automatic revenue arrangements easier.

9 hours ago, Zopper said:

As someone else suggested, you could always take half the payment upfront, then the other half after they receive the item! This is a pretty common practice for art commissions.

You could also create a demo version of the item (slap a giant tag on the back, or make big floating text over the avatar saying "DEMO") and give that to them before accepting the final payment. That way they can see if they like the item or not, but they can't really run off with it unless they wanna look stupid. xD Then when they send their payment, you send the real product, and boom! There we go. Non-refundable. They can't scam you, you can't scam them, it protects you both!

In the event that you give someone a demo version of their item and they decide not to pay for it? That's okay too! You can put the item up for sale on the marketplace for anyone to buy, or hang onto it in case another client comes along wanting something similar, or just have it around for your portfolio as an example of something you can make. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

As someone else suggested, you could always take half the payment upfront, then the other half after they receive the item! This is a pretty common practice for art commissions.

You could also create a demo version of the item (slap a giant tag on the back, or make big floating text over the avatar saying "DEMO") and give that to them before accepting the final payment. That way they can see if they like the item or not, but they can't really run off with it unless they wanna look stupid. xD Then when they send their payment, you send the real product, and boom! There we go. Non-refundable. They can't scam you, you can't scam them, it protects you both!

In the event that you give someone a demo version of their item and they decide not to pay for it? That's okay too! You can put the item up for sale on the marketplace for anyone to buy, or hang onto it in case another client comes along wanting something similar, or just have it around for your portfolio as an example of something you can make. :) 

Thankyou so much this explained it great, yes i know i had an person hit me up inworld and not here from the forums thats why i was wondering well i suppose its the same if their from the forums or not

Edited by Zopper

6 hours ago, Zopper said:

What do you mean? Sorry english isnt my first language 

Tipjars are usually used in places where there is an employer (like a club owner) an employee (like a dancer, host or DJ) and a client (person who goes to the club). If there are 3 people or groups interested in a transaction, then tipjars make sense and can do different good things depending on how they're scripted. If there are only two people or groups involved, you do not need a tipjar.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Tipjars are usually used in places where there is an employer (like a club owner) an employee (like a dancer, host or DJ) and a client (person who goes to the club). If there are 3 people or groups interested in a transaction, then tipjars make sense and can do different good things depending on how they're scripted. If there are only two people or groups involved, you do not need a tipjar.

Oh ok, Okay well lets say its an job between you and me for example maybe you saw my items inworld and liked them you would like me to make you can custom mesh or/ skin for example. We agree on the price in chat, and then you send me the LS directly? what would happen if you might not like the job. and for example want an refund?

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

Oh ok, Okay well lets say its an job between you and me for example maybe you saw my items inworld and liked them you would like me to make you can custom mesh or/ skin for example. We agree on the price in chat, and then you send me the LS directly? what would happen if you might not like the job. and for example want an refund?

A good answer was already given.  

On 12/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, LilNosferatu said:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Zopper said:

I dont think it really explained alot since im new since alot of things can happen ppl can say its fraud and want their money back for no reason

I feel like you're making this hypothetical situation a much bigger deal than it really is. ^_^;;

It really doesn't matter if you're new or old. If you create demos of your products for customers to receive and inspect before paying for the complete item, that's really all you need lol. If someone turns around and claims it's fraud and wants their money back, just... tell them no? I'm sure there are people like that in SL but not to the extent where you should be afraid of starting. Have a Terms of Service for your commissions (even digital artists have one!) and in it, state payments are non-refundable once they've seen/received and approved of the demo or however you want to do it. That's literally all you need, and if anyone makes a fuss just quote your own TOS.

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

For significant sums (50+ USD), I would use PayPal invoices. That way you have proper channels for handling payment/refunds/disputes. They're gonna have a heck of a hard time pulling the "it was fraud" card when payment was done through an invoice.

Absolutely! If they're going to charge RL currency, this is the best way to do it.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, LilNosferatu said:

I feel like you're making this hypothetical situation a much bigger deal than it really is. ^_^;;

It really doesn't matter if you're new or old. If you create demos of your products for customers to receive and inspect before paying for the complete item, that's really all you need lol. If someone turns around and claims it's fraud and wants their money back, just... tell them no? I'm sure there are people like that in SL but not to the extent where you should be afraid of starting. Have a Terms of Service for your commissions (even digital artists have one!) and in it, state payments are non-refundable once they've seen/received and approved of the demo or however you want to do it. That's literally all you need, and if anyone makes a fuss just quote your own TOS.

Absolutely! If they're going to charge RL currency, this is the best way to do it.

How do i make an TOS? for secondlife items?

Edited by Zopper

On 12/11/2021 at 2:37 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

For significant sums (50+ USD), I would use PayPal invoices. That way you have proper channels for handling payment/refunds/disputes. They're gonna have a heck of a hard time pulling the "it was fraud" card when payment was done through an invoice.

paypal is just an hassle in itself, what would you even name the paypal goods your doing?? i feel like since Paypal doesn´t have anything to do with Secondlife besides cashing out, i dont think your able to use it with things like invoices, id rather want to do everything the right way (in SL) if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

paypal is just an hassle in itself, what would you even name the paypal goods your doing?? i feel like since Paypal doesn´t have anything to do with Secondlife besides cashing out, i dont think your able to use it with things like invoices, id rather want to do everything the right way (in SL) if that makes sense.

You can use PayPal invoices for any payments in any medium. Doesn't matter if it's physical goods, voice acting, or digital art. All you need is a business account, which is easy to get and doesn't have any upkeep fees.

Name the goods what they are. "3D digital asset commission", "custom texture commission", "2 walk animations, 4 standing animations", "second life commission", etc.

Make sure to mark them as "no delivery required" if there isn't a physical package to mail out, or they can abuse you that way.

Trying to do things "the right way in SL" doesn't offer you OR the customer any protections. The marketplace is the closest thing you can get, but it doesn't allow you to offer commission work and the customer doesn't get a refund for defective products. Any payment/delivery disputes are wholly personal, LL refuses to do anything for either party unless clear fraud is involved, and I'm not even sure "taking the money and running" counts.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, LilNosferatu said:

Same way you would make one for anything else, you just write it out. In a notecard, on a website, etc, anywhere you can have it written out for them to read.

Ok so make an notecard tell that its, non refundable in your tos and make a demo?  aka create an demo version of the item.

Make an Demo of the item hand it to your customer,

They dont like it, Put it on the marketplace?

Kapiche?

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.