Zenescope x Second Life NFT Sweepstakes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This really was a bad idea. NFTs and what not have a negative connotation towards them for various reasons, including:

• The exorbitant commodification of art
  • The heavy energy consumption of generating NFTs
  • The inherent pointlessness of NFTs due to their disconnection from the art or work they're supposed to digitally represent, as well as the lack of protection of the work
  • The theft of existing art for the purpose of making and selling them as an NFT
  • The fact that the market for NFTs have since popped and are unlikely to recover as they're nothing more than overglorified digital beanie babies / beenz (if you remember either of those).

Linden Lab and Zenescope, who for the record, I had never heard of since their collaboration with SL, and that's saying something as someone who knows people who are devout comics fans and occasionally discusses them with said friends, have made a big mistake by doing this, and not just for the reasons above. If I were Brett (or one of the Lindens in Upper Management), I would be withdrawing Linden Lab and SL thereby from this sweepstakes effective immediately.

..And to think, LL was doing so well lately..

Edited by Rathgrith027
Corrected a sentence.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This whole thing makes it look as if the powers that be at LL.have absolutely no idea what goes on inworld.  No idea who uses SL and why.  No idea how to attract new users or keep them.  I'd hazard a guess that this will be of interest to about 10% of current users and perhaps entice a couple hundred to venture in for the first time.  Of those venturing in, none will stay.  IMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

This whole thing makes it look as if the powers that be at LL.have absolutely no idea what goes on inworld.  No idea who uses SL and why.  No idea how to attract new users or keep them.

This, sadly, isn't anything new. IMO, this disconnect has become worse each year since the layoffs of 2009.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd hazard a guess that this will be of interest to about 10% of current users and perhaps entice a couple hundred to venture in for the first time.  Of those venturing in, none will stay.  IMHO

I think you're being too generous.

I don't even think 1% of the current, yes current, userbase even knows about, let alone cares about who/what Zenescope is.

And now that everyone sees that they and LL are involving them self with NFT's, I think more negative attention has been brought to both parties than any positive attention the collaboration got prior, one hundred fold.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I do like companies getting involved with SL again, it at least brings in some new stuff and hopefully money for LL's bugfixing coffers, but NFTs are... nothing. They're literally nothing. For a comics company, I feel like a better prize idea would surely be like, a free digital subscription to their comics.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.