Seeking Educated Debater-Friends

Ishayu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a British guy looking around SL for some good people who are into really deep discussion.  If you're into book wormy stuff and book clubs even better.  I want to set up some really good gatherings centred around debating topics too.   I love nothing more than logging on and finding myself pondering something new with people.  It gets addictive!

So give me a hello in SL with "saw you seeking friends in the forum".

My name in SL is Ishayu Resident.  Looking forward to meeting you.

man-5831235_1920.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Debate with intellectually honest people is always interesting. Unfortunately in this age of mass propaganda people are being trained to hate, be emotional, and avoid genuine debate to come to a reasoned conclusion. It is a win my position no matter how wrong I am factually, an Alinsky style used to push an agenda. People absorb the propaganda and use the propagandists' tactics to defend the propagandists' agenda they have come to believe.

In SL you'll find debate and philosophy groups. For those that want to get together spontaneously and find others with similar interests, groups are the best way to do that. But, most of the groups in SL that I have tried aren't open to discussion nor do they know how to debate. Not even the founders of the groups. Challenge their beliefs and they'll foam at the mouth and start their ad hominem attacks.

You obviously don't spend much time on the forum, at least you don't post often. So, you might find the thread Darwin Spinoff enlightening. I think it is a common example of what debate looks like in SL, forum or in-world. In-world people can be more hateful than here in a moderated forum.

Most people are not looking for answers to their big questions, if they have even become aware of them,... or even their small ones. They are only engaging to defend their beliefs.

Within the thread are a couple interesting posts where a person calls on authority as an expert in a field to claim people in HIS field never engage in censorship or information suppression. Then a couple of posts later calls for silencing anyone that disagrees with the proposition. To me this is the mark of those arguing from emotion over reason. With such people forming a group for intellectually honest debate in this day and age, especially in SL, is going to be difficult and a drama filled endeavor.

While interested, I have little hope of your quest working out well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

In SL you'll find debate and philosophy groups. For those that want to get together spontaneously and find others with similar interests, groups are the best way to do that. But, most of the groups in SL that I have tried aren't open to discussion nor do they know how to debate.

My experience has been similar, but as long as you're not interested in "winning," you can still have enjoyable discussions.

When I find someone who is inflexible on their position, I ask questions about the things that lead them to hold their position. Often the conclusion is sacred, but not the means of getting there; it may be okay to ask them to explain their premises. Either I learn something that I missed, or I get to learn a bit about how others think.

• Like 2

I would be happy to have intelligent conversations with you. My time zone is not very convenient for most in Second Life (UTC +7). I'm not much into debate, I'm a scientist and thus I go by peer-reviewed publications and data, I generally don't have an opinion unless it falls directly under my academic discipline at which point I fancy myself godlike and infallible (just kidding, I don't believe in gods). Feel free to add me in world. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Debate with intellectually honest people is always interesting. Unfortunately in this age of mass propaganda people are being trained to hate, be emotional, and avoid genuine debate to come to a reasoned conclusion. It is a win my position no matter how wrong I am factually,

Most commonly seen in the Gish Gallop, as perfected by Ben "so stupid but narcissistic I told the world my wife's lie about my inability to arouse her" Shapiro.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 1:48 AM, Max Nova said:

I would be happy to have intelligent conversations with you. My time zone is not very convenient for most in Second Life (UTC +7). I'm not much into debate, I'm a scientist and thus I go by peer-reviewed publications and data, I generally don't have an opinion unless it falls directly under my academic discipline at which point I fancy myself godlike and infallible (just kidding, I don't believe in gods). Feel free to add me in world. 

Hi there, thats really super of you.  Looking forward to meeting up in SL.  Would you like to add me under "Ishayu Resident" and we can sort something out?  

The debate on Sunday was political, and it went quite a bit like Nalates anticipated above. At least there was representation from both sides.

The next topic is expected to not be political. From the group notice:

"Why did you choose the avatar you chose, and do you see it as an extension of your RL self or a character you play? Does someone else's avatar influence how you interact with them? Come discuss these questions and others on Sunday!"

On a positive note, people sometimes hang out at the Cafe to talk about various things or play board games. :)  So this thread is really about a new hangout that has events.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Sounds interesting and I may show up next Sunday.  Depending on whether it's actually a learning discussion or a condescending screaming match, I might even show up twice.

For what it's worth, the political conversation was civil, if most likely fruitless, and the next topic seems mild.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Sounds interesting and I may show up next Sunday.  Depending on whether it's actually a learning discussion or a condescending screaming match, I might even show up twice.

Hiya, you are most welcome to attend.  Just give me a nod in SL if you want too!  We are always there looking for a chat. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.