Why does prefab house builders build houses with a rear view?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not looking for a custom build, but I wonder:

I have a square 4098 on the corner of a region with water on 2 sides. It is great view out these two sides. But I can't control what's on the other two sides.

And prefab builders put in big windows on all 4 sides. Some place a sunroom on one side, and a big beautiful veranda on the backside. So no matter how the house is turned, I have to pick if the veranda or the sunroom shall face a privacy wall.

And modern homes is often a rectangle with both ends made of glass. Same problem there.

Yes, I can derender a privacy wall. The build on the other side is not what I want to see either. And sometimes it looks weird with all that open space, if I derender all. It would look better from the inside if the bedrooms and bath was located on one side, where it is logical to have curtains.

Since so many prefabs have all 4 walls filled with big windows and no "backside" I find it hard to find a house that has the windows and verandas in the same direction. Most people in SL rent from a region where the land is cut up so they have one direction with good view. It is very rare to find land that has a nice view to the rear. Unless you own a region and have full control of the view.

I wish house builders would have the biggest windows and terraces on one side or two sides that meet in a corner. Like veranda/terrace to the east and sunroom to the south. Not south/north.

That was just my 2 cents.

I can mention a few houses I bought that has at least one side that's perfect to turn against a privacy wall/ugly neighbor: The Palm View from Roost has one side that's almost closed on the side with the livingroom. The Cocoon house from DaD is 100% open to one side and the rest of the sides can have lowered blinds without loosing light and view. From Trompe Loeil I have the Valdis cliffside house with 1 totally closed side and 2 sides with semi-privacy. Windows can be closed and still keep light. And also the Skylar house with 1 side totally closed.

I own all houses listed, but I can't find a cozy house for shabby chic furniture that has large windows on 2 sides in a corner, or minimum one side that's more private with a few small windows. I want both small windows and sunroom type windows from ceiling to floor.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos and added a few words to clarify

You know, if I were building "buildings" for sale, I'd be so tempted to try and design a modular system, something you could put together many similar-themed and styled builds from, maybe with some clever rezbox-and-hud system to let you put it together on the fly, and thus be able to move the deck or sunroom to a side with views you liked and put a windowless wall (perhaps the one with the external flue and the fireplace on the interior) on the side you didn't want to look out at.. it wouldn't work for the smallest parcels of course but if you had room to redesign a little it should be mostly doable and you'd get to reconstruct your themed house to  fit anywhere you subsequently moved to. Maybe this is just a throwback to what I used to do with sculpties for star trek RP sets where I'd make a section of jeffries tubes and tube junctions, for example, for the set builders in the group to use or an idea that never really got off the ground for a "castle building kit" with curtain walls, towers, bastions, gates and a bunch of interchangeable levels for the main keep (stack the ones you wanted, pick one with a doorway at the bottom and then cap it with a "standard roof", the stairways will line up... of course there were dungeon levels sketched out too for those into that sort of thing and an idea for a little chapel crypt where your undead buddies could catch a quick nap...) One day I might even get enough free time to finish that project unlike some of the "good ideas" I've never had the time to bring to an "acceptably successful" conclusion....

• Like 1

If the offending window has its own texture (usually with some % transparency enabled), then you can simply change that to no transparency, or change the texture altogether, then you'll end up with a nice feature wall kind of look.

Alternatively, if the window frame is thick enough, you can simply texture a prim and place it over the window, making it just wide enough to cover the window yet not poke out thru the window frame, and you'll get that same feature-wall effect 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 12:42 PM, Elora Lunasea said:

Many of Charlotte Creative and Concept's builds don't have windows on every wall.

It's the one reason I wind up not using them since I rent on a private estate and have nice views all around. I like all that light coming in also.

Did you mean me @Elora Lunasea?

I just went back and checked my last 20 releases only 3 don't have windows on all 4 sides, I was going to post LOL that I need to do some builds with no windows on one side hah!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Did you mean me @Elora Lunasea?

I just went back and checked my last 20 releases only 3 don't have windows on all 4 sides, I was going to post LOL that I need to do some builds with no windows on one side hah!

Hi Charlotte! I was trying to be helpful to the OP by suggesting your homes. I do use them frequently but perhaps the way I wrote that wasn't clear enough.

I actually have The Hoxtan rezzed on my land now and am having a blast making small changes and decorating it. One of my favs so far 😍

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.