Mainland land prices going up or just my skewed perspective?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Haven't been around here in a few months.

Yesterday I tossed back 3 of my 4 linden homes, and took 2 accounts to basic (the third will go basic soon, but I was a little slow in doing this so it's still premium for the next quarter). This all left me an odd tier round off again, so I went looking around the map at parcels to see if I wanted to grab something.

In so doing I noticed the prices in Zindra seem about double what they were last year, and in Horizons (north of Zindra), 3-5 times higher. Looking around mainland, I noticed the same thing could be said of Bay City and the two themed areas near it. A brief glance around other parts of mainland and it seems like any land that is by water or road is much higher than it was last year, and even bad land appears to be trending up.

Did something happen? Has the pandemic resulted in a lot more buyers? Or is this just wishful thinking on the part of land traders? Or am I seeing something that isn't there and I just need to look elsewhere to see that SL land is still 'dirt cheap'?

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yesterday I tossed back 3 of my 4 linden homes, and took 2 accounts to basic (the third will go basic soon, but I was a little slow in doing this so it's still premium for the next quarter). This all left me an odd tier round off again, so I went looking around the map at parcels to see if I wanted to grab something.

In so doing I noticed the prices in Zindra seem about double what they were last year, and in Horizons (north of Zindra), 3-5 times higher. Looking around mainland, I noticed the same thing could be said of Bay City and the two themed areas near it. A brief glance around other parts of mainland and it seems like any land that is by water or road is much higher than it was last year, and even bad land appears to be trending up.

Did something happen? Has the pandemic resulted in a lot more buyers? Or is this just wishful thinking on the part of land traders? Or am I seeing something that isn't there and I just need to look elsewhere to see that SL land is still 'dirt cheap'?

I don't think that land generally has increased at all in price. I've seen quite a few areas on various continents where land has been for sale for a while, and at reasonable rates, but not shifting. Certainly the 'double prim' regions have retained their popularity, and have been creeping upwards in price. So often though they're set for sale merely as a tool to attract rental business and so set at a higher than market price.

I'd suggest having a look at the auctions and seeing what sort of prices parcels have been actually selling for on there. You can get a better idea of prices from actual sales rather than the ones for sale, as they can stay for sale for quite some time if the seller has over priced it.

• Thanks 1

I think mainland prices in general are insane, and it seems like they have gone up over the last year or two. If you want anything near water, it's outragous. I honestly don't know how they ever sell - I can't get motivated to spend, literally, $1000 USD on a parcel of mainland. I mean, I love SecondLife...but jeez. 

That's part of why I look around for good abandoned parcels and rehab them, then put them out for sale again at reasonable prices. I found some real gems out there, too! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

what I see is that mainland parcels don't sell, high prices or low ones, they're not selling, I've seen a very good lands with cheap prices, but it didn't get sold and it's still there for months.

Really? Interesting: Most of my parcels (roadside parcels, water parcels, and parcels on region edges) sell within a week or so. I have them all priced at $3,000L or below and they are all in moderate sims. 

I only have one parcel that I have now had for 10 days - it’s the longest one I’ve had so far from my claimed abandoned land stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Just a little perspective on just how much prices have gone up on Horizons.  I've had my parcel for less than a year.  I paid 68,000L which was one of the lowest prices at the time.  Yesterday, I noticed the parcel right next to me is for sale/ rent again.  500,000L.  The one diagonally behind me is also for sale/rent.  900,000L.  Both are protected on one side by water and the other by road.  I'm protected by road on 2 sides.  None of that protection means as much since we're no where near the actual mainland so a drive will only take you around Horizons.  I have no idea about boating, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Really? Interesting: Most of my parcels (roadside parcels, water parcels, and parcels on region edges) sell within a week or so. I have them all priced at $3,000L or below and they are all in moderate sims. 

I only have one parcel that I have now had for 10 days - it’s the longest one I’ve had so far from my claimed abandoned land stuff. 

I don't know, that's what i see, i don't look much at small parcels like 1024, I guess these parcels sales the most, since it's free tier.

and you sell your parcels for a very good price so I think it's a  good deal two birds with one stone.

but bigger parcels don't sell easily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just a little perspective on just how much prices have gone up on Horizons.  I've had my parcel for less than a year.  I paid 68,000L which was one of the lowest prices at the time.  Yesterday, I noticed the parcel right next to me is for sale/ rent again.  500,000L.  The one diagonally behind me is also for sale/rent.  900,000L.  Both are protected on one side by water and the other by road.  I'm protected by road on 2 sides.  None of that protection means as much since we're no where near the actual mainland so a drive will only take you around Horizons.  I have no idea about boating, though.

$900,000L is over $3,700 USD

Holy moly. Do these make a ton of money back if they are rented out over a period of time or something? 

1 hour ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Holy moly. Do these make a ton of money back if they are rented out over a period of time or something? 

A parcel being set for sale at a certain price is no guarantee that it will sell for that. A parcel is only ever worth what another person will pay for it. As I mentioned previously, the double-prim parcels (and others in certain locations) get set for sale at a ridiculously high price in some cases, purely to get it highlighted on the map so that people find it and MAY then rent it. The owner doesn't want to set it at the market value in case someone buys it, and so it's set high to prevent that, or to give them a massive amount of compensation if someone does buy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

The rental price is pretty reasonable.  I have seen quite a few people come and go, however.  

On 7/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, Feorie Frimon said:

I think mainland prices in general are insane, and it seems like they have gone up over the last year or two. If you want anything near water, it's outragous. I honestly don't know how they ever sell - I can't get motivated to spend, literally, $1000 USD on a parcel of mainland. I mean, I love SecondLife...but jeez. 

That's part of why I look around for good abandoned parcels and rehab them, then put them out for sale again at reasonable prices. I found some real gems out there, too! :) 

$1000 is cheap. I've seen sims on Blake selling for the equivalent of nearly $7000. That's so far beyond sane I don't even know what to think.

If I told my wife I was spending $7000 on virtual land in a game she'd divorce me on the spot. :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.