Constantly getting "not responding" and blue circle

MillyWH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I started having issues with SL not responding repeatedly when I don't seem to be doing anything differently. It happens to me on both the Official viewer and Firestorm (I don't have others downloaded so  haven't tried them). It can happen when I click on a chat box, right after I log in, when I've just been standing there doing nothing, when I switch from the browser to the viewer,  and various other times.  This doesn't happen all the time but when it does start happening it does this over and over. Sometimes I can wait until it responds but other times I have to restart.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this to happen?

When it happens, do you have other applications running on your PC that might be hogging resources, or other heavy usage of your internet connection at that time?  

If you would, after logging in, go to "Help" -> "About <viewer name>"  from the viewer's top menu bar, and then copy and paste the contents of the "info" tab pop-up here, that will provide information about your viewer's connection with SL which can help others here with troubleshooting.  (There is a "copy to clipboard" button on the "info" tab, so it's easy to capture that information for pasting here).

• Like 1

I'll do that tomorrow when I log in again. I tried closing other programs and seeing if it made a difference but it didn't seem to be.

Normally I have Chrome, SL, and sometimes Spotify going. Depends on if I've got something on Hulu or Netflix going . I thought maybe that was the issue but I kept having problems even when Chrome wasn't running. 

This all the information when I logged in.  I haven't had a problem with the viewer this morning

Firestorm 6.4.13 (63251) Mar  2 2021 18:51:46 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 80.0, 16.0, 21.1 in Papercut located at simhost-0f7c4f3dcc3e44a0e.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Papercut/80/16/21
(global coordinates 287,824.0, 279,056.0, 21.1)
Second Life Server 2021-07-16.561609
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (2904.01 MHz)
Memory: 16186 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1110)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 4096 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.6137
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.37

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.08
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (High Contrast)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1150 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: Dynamic (512 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2020-9-30T22:39:34 
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 1/4,357 (0.0%)
July 24 2021 05:22:43 SLT

A large window resolution coupled with a 128m draw distance means there's going to be a lot of texture fetching and object-occlusion processing going on. If you have draw distance does this improve things?

Also, have you stuck the cache file location into your antivirus exclusion list? If not, do so. I've also stuck the chat and IM files folder in there, but I've stopped short of also excluding the SL processes.

13 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

A large window resolution coupled with a 128m draw distance means there's going to be a lot of texture fetching and object-occlusion processing going on. If you have draw distance does this improve things?

Also, have you stuck the cache file location into your antivirus exclusion list? If not, do so. I've also stuck the chat and IM files folder in there, but I've stopped short of also excluding the SL processes.

I haven't' stuck the cache file into my antivirus exclusion list.

This is the same monitor resolution I've had and the typical draw distance I use and I've only recently had issues with the viewer not responding. 

9 hours ago, MillyWH said:

I haven't' stuck the cache file into my antivirus exclusion list.

It's a good idea to do so as it stops the real-time protection AVs from constantly scanning each change to the folders.

9 hours ago, MillyWH said:

This is the same monitor resolution I've had and the typical draw distance I use and I've only recently had issues with the viewer not responding.

Then as Rowan has said, it's probably something your OS or other background programs are doing hat's stealing CPU or RAM. Have a look at task manager to see what's busy next time it happens. 

It happens to me when Windows is downloading / installing updates or sometimes at random times without a warning (and i noticed also when i don't defrag for some time). I can say that it's because of Windows Update, because when it installs all the updates this problem goes away. But hey, i format my pc a lot :P

Have you tried also to defrag the hard disk ?

• Like 1

Your video driver is a bit out of date. 461 vs my 466 and I'm not sure I have the latest.

I have mini system freezes when my Win10 has updates pending. So do a restart and look to see if you have updates pending. Or better yet, run Windows Update to see if you need to install updates.

Once you have checked that your machine is up to date then restart it and your router/gateway/modem.

I disagree with Liv. If you have 30 or 40% free space on your drive Win10 will keep the disk defraged. So, there is no point in running a defrag.

What you may want to do is run a disk check for bad/weak sectors: chkdsk C:\ /r (Ref) this takes some time. It will find bad or weak sectors and move data off them then mark them as bad and stop your system from using them.

Next run Win10's System File Checker to assure all your Windows system files are good. Use the more detailed step by step found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca  You can copy paste the commands to avoid mistakes.

I have noticed more and more network problems. Presumably the cyber war is escalating... or something is going on. But those issues come and go throughout the day. You can test your network connection to the SL servers in the cloud. I should probably update the article: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Your video driver is a bit out of date. 461 vs my 466 and I'm not sure I have the latest.

I have mini system freezes when my Win10 has updates pending. So do a restart and look to see if you have updates pending. Or better yet, run Windows Update to see if you need to install updates.

Once you have checked that your machine is up to date then restart it and your router/gateway/modem.

I disagree with Liv. If you have 30 or 40% free space on your drive Win10 will keep the disk defraged. So, there is no point in running a defrag.

What you may want to do is run a disk check for bad/weak sectors: chkdsk C:\ /r (Ref) this takes some time. It will find bad or weak sectors and move data off them then mark them as bad and stop your system from using them.

Next run Win10's System File Checker to assure all your Windows system files are good. Use the more detailed step by step found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca  You can copy paste the commands to avoid mistakes.

I have noticed more and more network problems. Presumably the cyber war is escalating... or something is going on. But those issues come and go throughout the day. You can test your network connection to the SL servers in the cloud. I should probably update the article: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

So some updates happened and my problem stopped but I saw your comments and went and checked and updated a few other things so hopefully everything is resolved.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.