Lag in SL seems universal today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't have the lag in my house anymore, and it looks just fine with the adjustments, now for the real test. Fogbound.

Well Fogbound rezzed a lot faster this time, but now there are a lot of jelly dolls standing around because I lowered complexity I guess. I'll just have to live with that.

Edited by AnnHerrick

They really cut you down - your settings are lower than Low now.  That could be too much.  You will miss everything new in SL since about 2005 with all Shaders off.

I would try the Mid setting again, but set Draw distance to 76 and Max Particle count to 1024. Leave the rest of the sliders as set by Mid.

I don't think your packet loss is excessive and your ping time is normal for anyone not near the AWS site in Oregon.  You are not playing a high speed game where ping times might matter.   You should also try other regions, including open water, to see what your FPS will max out at in less loaded regions.

Your relog and router restart probably changed your internet routing path too, so that could be most of it today.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

They really cut you down - your settings are lower than Low now.  That could be too much.  You will miss everything new in SL since about 2005 with all Shaders off.

I would try the Mid setting again, but set Draw distance to 76 and Max Particle count to 1024. Leave the rest of the sliders as set by Mid.

I don't think your packet loss is excessive and your ping time is normal for anyone not near the AWS site in Oregon.  You are not playing a high speed game where ping times might matter.   You should also try other regions, including open water, to see what your FPS will max out at in less loaded regions.

i think you might be right about that, I'll have to play with it, I can't have all those jelly dolls about.

51 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Well when I came back recently I installed the latest release of FS, so that's good, and all this is a bit over my head, but here's my networks prefs

netprefs.png

Move that bandwidth slider all the way to the left .. It's mislabeled and does not mean what it says (why FS have perpetuated this even further is beyond me) .. it wont affect the speed that stuff loads or rezzes in.

Rezzing stuff is all done over HTTP now, it goes as fast as it can. However! The SL client can generate the equivalent of a small offices HTTP traffic. This can easily overwhelm older ISP supplied domestic routers .. which begs the question, how long have you had your home router

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Move that bandwidth slider all the way to the left .. It's mislabeled and does not mean what it says (why FS have perpetuated this even further is beyond me) .. it wont affect the speed that stuff loads or rezzes in.

Rezzing stuff is all done over HTTP now, it goes as fast as it can. However! The SL client can generate the equivalent of a small offices HTTP traffic. This can easily overwhelm older ISP supplied domestic routers .. which begs the question, how long have you had your home router

I was just about to post your response from another section on increasing performance.

28 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Your relog and router restart probably changed your internet routing path too, so that could be most of it today.

Any packet loss is bad.  .6% can disconnect you.  Hers was .4%.  

She's running an integrated graphics card.  There is no need to have draw distance at 76 inside her home nor at most clubs or any other building.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I don't have the lag in my house anymore, and it looks just fine with the adjustments, now for the real test. Fogbound.

Well Fogbound rezzed a lot faster this time, but now there are a lot of jelly dolls standing around because I lowered complexity I guess. I'll just have to live with that.

Those jelly dolls are why your derender.

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Huh. Rowan must have been the only one to even notice the Firestorm Lag Troubleshooting link I posted. Oh well.

I refer people to that all the time.  I actually have a fairly good laptop but if I'm out and about at busy places, I keep everything low.  I really have no need to see all the 'new shiny' on everyone's clothing.  I only turn things up or on if I'm wandering a region and taking photos.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Those jelly dolls are why your derender.

I know, but now they are much more plentiful since I lowered my complexity setting. I used to see much less of them, and would derender those with complexities of 300,00 or more. Of course when you do that you can get IM's from people you cannot see.

41 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I know, but now they are much more plentiful since I lowered my complexity setting. I used to see much less of them, and would derender those with complexities of 300,00 or more. Of course when you do that you can get IM's from people you cannot see.

You can raise that level then and watch to see when it begins to effect performance.  That's why I said you'll need to play with those graphics settings to find out what works best for you.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can raise that level then and watch to see when it begins to effect performance.  That's why I said you'll need to play with those graphics settings to find out what works best for you.

I have raised the complexity number out of necessity. If I go to Frank's, for instance, with a lower complexity setting of 100,000 over half the people there are jelly dolls, and that won't do. I've always wondered why anyone would need a complexity of over 300,000, and how they even arrive at that. My own is always around 62,000, and I've no reason I can think of to increase that.

Well I put my complexity setting up to 200,000, and I can see most people now, but when I go to my house I cannot move for some time, perhaps until the house is completely rendered, I'm not sure why. I'll be working on it, I have a week and a half off work to monkey with it.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Well I did move that slider all the way to the left while at Fogbound, and everyone in the place, regardless of avatar complexity, became a jelly doll.

53 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I have raised the complexity number out of necessity. If I go to Frank's, for instance, with a lower complexity setting of 100,000 over half the people there are jelly dolls, and that won't do. I've always wondered why anyone would need a complexity of over 300,000, and how they even arrive at that. My own is always around 62,000, and I've no reason I can think of to increase that.

Well I put my complexity setting up to 200,000, and I can see most people now, but when I go to my house I cannot move for some time, perhaps until the house is completely rendered, I'm not sure why. I'll be working on it, I have a week and a half off work to monkey with it.

With the rise of flexi hair….again….so too does a persons complexity rise with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

With the rise of flexi hair….again….so too does a persons complexity rise with it.

Did you see the picture I posted earlier in the Peeve thread?  That girl had barely anything on and no flexi hair.   I have no idea how the heck anyone can be lugging around that amount of triangles and still be able to move.

ETA   Those are the people I derender now.

91e3ec26834d0cb0298ba445233817f4.png

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Did you see the picture I posted earlier in the Peeve thread?  That girl had barely anything on and no flexi hair.   I have no idea how the heck anyone can be lugging around that amount of triangles and still be able to move.

91e3ec26834d0cb0298ba445233817f4.png

Out of curiosity, do you know what hair that is? I knew complexity in flexi is super high but holy jeebus. That’s crazy.

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

Out of curiosity, do you know what hair that is? I knew complexity in flexi is super high but holy jeebus. That’s crazy.

I didn't even bother checking anything.  She had on a fishnet outfit and shoes.  She was twice the triangles as the next highest person in the club.  I recently left my Legacy body to go back to Maitreya.  It's not perfect and I still love the look of Legacy better but with it, I was often extremely high.  Now, fully outfitted, I was around 500,000 and my complexity was 26,000.  Big, big difference.    Clothing can be just as problematic.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I did that, and found that when I went to Fogbound most of the people were missing and the rest were nude, and it stayed that way, until I put the slider back to where I had it, and then everyone came back and they got their clothes back as well. So that advice didn't pan out for me.

2 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

I did that, and found that when I went to Fogbound most of the people were missing and the rest were nude, and it stayed that way, until I put the slider back to where I had it, and then everyone came back and they got their clothes back as well. So that advice didn't pan out for me.

Yes, that will happen !! That's a good thing :)

One of the few really obvious problems that packet loss can cause is your avatar ends up stuck as a cloud (it affects everyone's avatar, but people rarely complain about other people not rezzing).

Basically, something between the server and the viewer causes packets of UDP data to end up throttled, arrive out of order or even lost entirely. When this happens, the unfortunate packets are just junked as UDP data is only of value right this instant .. that's just how UDP works. It's intended for use as a constant stream of updates and previous updates are irrelevant.

(Like if you're watching a youtube video and it skips a frame .. you don't care about that frame anymore and sending it again later is pointless.)

Most of the time UDP data trickles out of the servers at a very low rate (less than 150 kbps), however there are situations where a flood of UDP data can be sent, and that's when the things get overwhelmed.

Teleporting to a densely built new region with lots of people is one of these 'rare' events.

The viewer forgets literally everything it knows when it teleports and the waits for the region to tell it what's what. 

If your bandwidth slider is set too high, the server will try to tell you about ALL THE THINGS in one huge burst .. and bam, packet loss!

Setting it low does throttle the speed people will rez in, but it does make sure everyone (including you) actually do rez in.

1st rule of SL - Patience !! The viewer is dumb like a rock and has a lot of work to do, especially after a teleport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, Chris Nova said:

Just an update since I saw her again today.  It's Doux hair coming in at over 300,000 triangles.  Coven was the style.

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.