How Does Your SL Look Today?

34 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I took special care to have everything line up water level, so it would feel normal if one showed up on a gondola or something. I'm really proud of my placement and am beyond happy that it has a rl equivalent, thank you so much.

Well, I must thank you for sharing this amazing work you did and inspire us here. It's really a fairy tale to arrive wit a gondola. I remember ours in India had a baldachin,, probably against the burning sun but it was also very pretty. It was an old fashioned one like the one in this old picture of Venice.

2gkhheb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Well, I must thank you for sharing this amazing work you did and inspire us here. It's really a fairy tale to arrive wit a gondola. I remember ours in India had a baldachin,, probably against the burning sun but it was also very pretty. It was an old fashioned one like the one in this old picture of Venice.

2gkhheb.jpg

Oh my! Thank you! You will have to come visit sometime, in a gondola lol. Thank you so much for sharing, it really made me super happy, thanks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e8fe4bbe211b933c01e6c0fde5cce55.jpeg

Not an ad or blog post, but this mansion fulfilled a long time SL dream of mine, it has two pools, outdoor and in, and if you set it up correctly has SL WATER IN THE POOLS! so cool. Now I need to park a canoe in the drive way. :)

May I ask where the house is from? I most likely don't have enough LI to afford it, but I'll still stare longingly at it in the store.

• Like 2

Wallpaper, wood panels, wooden floor, carpet, sofa, chair, tables, lights (and a retro daybed and writing desk not in the picture). All whitin the limit of 50 prims that I have for room number 507 at hotel Chelsea. Was a puzzele but now I'm satisfied :-).

But no kidding, I am honoured to stay at this legendary hotel. It is truly authentic and set up with the help of guests and artists from the real Chelsea hotel. The hotel in SL is a tribute to how the hotel really was, with artists and bohemians. In RL it is sold to a luxury hotelier and the rooms have now prices that the artists who made the hotel famous could never have afforded. Luckily, we still have SL! Honest people, residents doing projects like this desperately need our support and respect!

Snapshot_2081208174_008.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Wallpaper, wood panels, wooden floor, carpet, sofa, chair, tables, lights (and a retro daybed and writing desk not in the picture). All whitin the limit of 50 prims that I have for room number 507 at hotel Chelsea. Was a puzzele but now I'm satisfied :-).

But no kidding, I am honoured to stay at this legendary hotel. It is truly authentic and set up with the help of guests and artists from the real Chelsea hotel. The hotel in SL is a tribute to how the hotel really was, with artists and bohemians. In RL it is sold to a luxury hotelier and the rooms have now prices that the artists who made the hotel famous could never have afforded. Luckily, we still have SL! Honest people, residents doing projects like this desperately need our support and respect!

Snapshot_2081208174_008.png

Looking pretty good. You pulled it off quite well with the LI limits.

There was a thread a couple years ago on decorating under 50LI challenge. I should try my hand at it again, this time at the hotel. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 2

@archangel969Hotel Chelsea is one of my favorite spots in SL, the entire region is pretty amazing and the hotel itself feels so full of history.  It was one of the first places I visited in SL, and I remember renting my first home there and spending hours decorating my room and learning how prims and mesh works.  I also remember hanging in my room while listening to live music I believe from Jamba.  I still like to visit it to this day, and wander around the halls, look at the artwork, try to use the elevator.  I remember finding the tunnels under the road system and being utterly amazed at the labyrinth I discovered, it was a lot of fun. I've tried to rent a room again a few times, but the last few times I have tried it always refunds the money to me.

I'm glad it is still around, it is such a great place.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Looking pretty good. You pulled it off quite well with the LI limits.

There was a thread a couple years ago on decorating under 50LI challenge. I should try my hand at it again, this time at the hotel. Thanks for the recommendation.

I pulled out my old Jean Paul Gaultier wallpaper for it again, in my early days I had everything in screaming colours (much different from Dutch estate LOL) so one of my first rooms was a screaming cacophony, I had a lot to learn. 🙂 That's much more balanced now.

You have rooms of 50 L per week, 100 L per week and also 250 L per week. i got the 100 L one and could find one with balcony. But, as is often the case in SL, you have a lot of room for little prims. It looked more like a ballroom than a hotel room without the furniture. How can you make it more 'gezellig' - cozy?  I noticed in some rooms that the seating area was in the middle, on a rug. That 'breaks' the space a bit and I did too (first the seating was by the balcony).  Big low-hanging lamps also help and patterned wallpaper also makes a room 'smaller' and cosier.'

Also, some rooms have 1 prim furniture, it is called primpossible I believe.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

believe there were several threats that SL hotel Chelsea had to cease operations

7 hours ago, Istelathis said:

@archangel969Hotel Chelsea is one of my favorite spots in SL, the entire region is pretty amazing and the hotel itself feels so full of history.  It was one of the first places I visited in SL, and I remember renting my first home there and spending hours decorating my room and learning how prims and mesh works.  I also remember hanging in my room while listening to live music I believe from Jamba.  I still like to visit it to this day, and wander around the halls, look at the artwork, try to use the elevator.  I remember finding the tunnels under the road system and being utterly amazed at the labyrinth I discovered, it was a lot of fun. I've tried to rent a room again a few times, but the last few times I have tried it always refunds the money to me.

I'm glad it is still around, it is such a great place.

Well, it's definitely one of my favourites now too. I saw an old video (nov 2011)  from Designing worlds with Saffia Widdershins and Elrik Melvin (if you have a chance to meet them, they are such sweethearts and full of humour). In that video was an interview with SL hotel Chelsea founder Mykal Skall. Because of this, I know how authentic and with heart for how the old Chelsea hotel was, it was set up. But you can already feel that when you walk around. I believe the hotel had some hard times over the years and there was talk of the hotel shutting down several times but so far it still exists! I do see few residents there, by the way, but there are still weekly concerts at El Quijote. Hopefully they will make it. In any case, I've also just sweetened the tip jar, because I think they can use any support they can get.
Enola Vaher (Enola Em) managed the Hotel Chelsea together with Mykal Skal, but sadly she passed away prematurely in January of 2020. I think this is a big blow to Mykal. In the video from 2011 he says he has so much support from her and that he wouldn't know how he could manage the hotel without her. But despite of this all: the hotel is still there!

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Istelathis said:

try to use the elevator.  I remember finding the tunnels under the road system and being utterly amazed at the labyrinth I discovered,

Haha, I tried the elevators several times before I decided they don't work, but now I am using the stairs when I am not in a hurry and just transport to the lobby, And every day I discover new things. I didn't discover the tunnels, sounds amazing! I work at a university in Amsterdam in RL an there is also a labyrinth under the campus and the hospital, I got lost there several times with a cart of books (I was a librarian then) but it was a great get lost! So I am definately happy to get lost in the labyrinth of Chelsea :-).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:23 PM, Eddy Vortex said:

May I ask where the house is from? I most likely don't have enough LI to afford it, but I'll still stare longingly at it in the store.

I discovered the house on Marketplace and went for it inworld. It is truly an amazing place and so big! It is high prised, but apart from that, you need 1/4 region at the least! Well, you can certainly visit it inworld from time to time. I did that with villa Utrecht before I had decided to buy land to put it on, pretending to live there. 🙂

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I discovered the house on Marketplace and went for it inworld. It is truly an amazing place and so big! It is high prised, but apart from that, you need 1/4 region at the least! Well, you can certainly visit it inworld from time to time. I did that with villa Utrecht before I had decided to buy land to put it on, pretending to live there. 🙂

That's a cool idea, living in a demo, hahaha. When I was new I used to 'live' on a sim. Was always empty and the owner and I chatted. World's End Garden. I would just sit there in the water and dream. Loved it.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.c9ff966650826f1ec4711c341a9250a4.jpeg

I was too busy getting married to take proper pics, but I made this impromptu elopement floating island! There are various islands that spin slowly, you double click to tp from each one, like stepping stones :) The Pear trees are for my Best Friend, Pear Absinthe,  designer of worlds. Oh, and that aura moves in the sky. I'll upload vids. So cute in motion. :D

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

That's a cool idea, living in a demo, hahaha. When I was new I used to 'live' on a sim. Was always empty and the owner and I chatted. World's End Garden. I would just sit there in the water and dream. Loved it.

Yes, crazy that it is so nostalgic now, while back then I dreamed of what I have now. The house was fully furnished, so when I look at a picture from then and I take one now, there is little difference, only my avatar has gone through an evolution 🙂

then_now.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 4

Just now, archangel969 said:

Yes, crazy that it is so nostalgic now, while back then I dreamed of what I have now. The house was fully furnished, so when I look at a picture from then and I take one now, there is little difference, only my avatar has gone through an evolution 🙂

then_now.png

Omg how nice! You did well, love it.

• Like 2