Weird looping lag

Vexz01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello community!

I'm very new to SL and experience a really weird problem with lags. First time I played the game right after installation everything was fine but starting from the second time I launched the game I had this really annoying problem with about 2 to 3 second freezes of the whole client including the menus (I'm using Firestorm x64). Then the game runs smooth for a second and then the lag strikes back. This happens in an infinite loop.

Look for yourself (video): https://u.teknik.io/FSVP4.mp4

Here's what I've already tried:

• Update Windows
  • Update graphics card drivers
  • Reboot my computer a hundred times
  • Set the graphics of SL to the lowest possible settings
  • Reinstall Firestorm client
  • Exclude the whole client folder from my Anti Virus software

Some of my computer specs:

• Intel Core i7-8700K
  • RTX 3090
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro  20H2 64 Bit

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Vexz01

10 answers to this question

My browser of course. But I have 1000 Mbit/s download speed an 50 Mbit/s upload speed. Also I never had any issues with other games like that so I highly doubt that's the problem.

Download and upload speed are irrelevant.  SL does not work the way games you may have played on line.  Much of the content on SL is on AWS servers, adjusted continually and fed to your viewer 45 times a second.  Your viewer and the servers are constantly trading updates, and they have to remain in sync at all times to do it.  What's important, then, is not the speed of your Internet connection but its reliability.  If you lose more than a very small amount of information in a time slice, or if packets of information are delayed more than about 150 msec, your viewer and the servers will get out of sync or have impartial information.  You will experience lag, imperfect texture rendering, rubber-banding, teleportation failures, and difficulty logging in or staying in SL.    This is why one of the very first suspects is the Internet connection when a SL resident has problems like yours.  The problem is often the router or modem -- often easily fixed by rebooting both or by adding a new DNS server to your router's server list -- but can also be RF interference by nearby electrical equipment or by wireless signal loss or corruption.  That's why Linden Lab does not endorse or support using wifi connections, even though many people have no trouble with them at all.  

I use the Cloudflare DNS servers and my computer is connected via ethernet cable to my router. The lag meter of my client stays green all the time.TlNCD.png

There was an optional Windows update earlier I installed. SL ran fine after the update. Then I quit and logged back in like 30 seconds later just to experience those lags again and now I can't get rid of them anymore. I think it's something about my computer in combination with SL.

Thanks for the responses but just checking that stuff will sadly not solve my problem.

Just now after everything worked fine I quit the viewer, restarted and had those freezes again. Then I quit the viewer again and logged back in and everything was fine. It feels like it's completely random.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, Vexz01 said:

Thanks for the responses but just checking that stuff will sadly not solve my problem.

Just now after everything worked fine I quit the viewer, restarted and had those freezes again. Then I quit the viewer again and logged back in and everything was fine. It feels like it's completely random.

I've been having the same issue. All of Firestorm (and the LL viewer, and other viewers too) locks up (Not Responding) for anywhere from 3 to sometimes up to 20 seconds like it's going to crash at random. It's not eating CPU or Memory when it happens. The really frustrating thing is it worked fine without this issue on my other laptop that was worse in every way with far lower specs (1050ti vs 1660ti).

It almost seems to coincide with when new things render/load in but I'm not entirely sure. Like, on my parcel where I stay 99% of the time I can go upwards of an hour without a freeze sometimes. If I'm in an empty skybox way up in the sky just working on an avatar skin even less so.

But exploring? That's impossible now, I freeze for long bouts every 1-5 minutes and it's just not an enjoyable experience. It really bums me out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.