Tech issues- White Vertical Bars in Firestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A couple of weeks ago white vertical bars appeared on my Firestorm.  I tried all sorts of things and thought initially that it was my computer after various  tests and updates to my computer and graphics card the lines are still there.  I tried uninstalling and doing a clean install but the bars are still there.  I stepped back to the last version but the bars are still  present.   I decided to check the SL viewer and Alchemy viewer but the bars are not showing on those viewers even with the same w/l and graphics settings and can be clearly seen even on the lowest graphic setting and with advanced lighting off.    The bars are visible on all regions and visible with most w/l.  Anyone know if this is a setting issue or an actual   Firestorm  bug?

Firestorm Viewer

firestorm viewer2_001.png

SL Viewer

SL viewer  midday 3_001.png

Alchemy Viewer

alchemy midday 2b.png

Edited by Midnightamber Berithos
change photo

18 minutes ago, Midnightamber Berithos said:

A couple of weeks ago white vertical bars appeared on my Firestorm.  I tried all sorts of things and thought initially that it was my computer after various  tests and updates to my computer and graphics card the lines are still there.  I tried uninstalling and doing a clean install but the bars are still there.  I stepped back to the last version but the bars are still  present.   I decided to check the SL viewer and Alchemy viewer but the bars are not showing on those viewers even with the same w/l and graphics settings and can be clearly seen even on the lowest graphic setting and with advanced lighting off.    The bars are visible on all regions and visible with most w/l.  Anyone know if this is a setting issue or an actual   Firestorm  bug?

Firestorm Viewer

firestorm viewer2_001.png

SL Viewer

SL viewer  midday 3_001.png

Alchemy Viewer

alchemy midday 2b.png

Try posting your hardware configuration, from Help, About Firestorm so if someone comes along perhaps they can better help you. 

Thank you Gage.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2496 MHz)
Memory: 8055 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.746)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 4096 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.6140
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.40

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.05
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: Dynamic (3072 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2021-1-27T21:12:27
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 3/28,522 (0.0%)
February 01 2021 17:08:10 SLT

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Midnightamber Berithos said:

Thank you Gage.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2496 MHz)
Memory: 8055 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.746)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 4096 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.6140
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.40

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.05
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: Dynamic (3072 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2021-1-27T21:12:27
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 3/28,522 (0.0%)
February 01 2021 17:08:10 SLT

I see nothing out of the ordinary here and it's especially odd since the other viewers render normally.  @Whirly Fizzle may be able to help you...Hopefully she sees this!

• Thanks 1

Woohoo!  I think I got it!  I went to a skybox and stood next to a black wall. I noticed the bars actually look like a blurring or almost like an aura so I browsed through the graphics settings and under Rendering I saw something called "Render Glow".  I unchecked it and the bars vanished no matter where I went or which windlights I used it is gone.  So if anyone else runs into that try unchecking Render glow.  I am not sure what the function of that tool is but it definitely messed up my graphics. 

Many thanks to  Gage and Rowan for their comments.  I really appreciate it! :)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Midnightamber Berithos said:

good to know Solar.  Does it need to be checked and set at a low level or whatever the default level is?

See if it happens when at the default level (2). Might be a bit but I'll see if I can trace down the other settings that can be affected by/affect Glow.

19 hours ago, Midnightamber Berithos said:

Woohoo!  I think I got it!  I went to a skybox and stood next to a black wall. I noticed the bars actually look like a blurring or almost like an aura so I browsed through the graphics settings and under Rendering I saw something called "Render Glow".  I unchecked it and the bars vanished no matter where I went or which windlights I used it is gone.  So if anyone else runs into that try unchecking Render glow.  I am not sure what the function of that tool is but it definitely messed up my graphics. 

Many thanks to  Gage and Rowan for their comments.  I really appreciate it! :)

Setting non-default glow settings can cause weird effects like this.
You can enable "Render Glow" again.
Then open Phototools: ALT+P
Go to the DOF/Glow tab.
In the "Glow Settings" section, click the D button next to all the settings to reset them to default & that should fix it  :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone,  my screen size changes depending on what kind of photos I am taking.  Sounds weird I know but it works for me.  I change the screen size for in world image cropping for my photos.  I do nearly no RL editing I try to do it all with SL tools and that means sometimes  changing the screen size to my needs at the moment.  That might be how I got my Render Glow messed up since I was also tweaking other things to see the effect like shadow quality  and w/l transition time.

Whirly I will look at the Render Glow again and see how your suggestions impact my viewer.  Thank you all for the suggestions, I was feeling terribly lost and concerned about possibly having to give up Firestorm.  The upside is that I learn from the comments.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick follow up I logged in and adjusted the settings as you suggested Whirly and it actually added more clarity to my screen.  Now that I think about it I do remember tweaking the glow settings in Phototools to see what effect it would have on the lighting. At the time the changes were not obvious but as I moved around SL I noticed the white bars but didn't connect the issue with the glow setting changes.  Thank you so much I won't be doing that again!  😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.