visiting cards or profile cards and change username

Shantyck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

•  

hello I have a question related to the change of username in the avatars for premium accounts, I have talked to some friends who have changed their name of the topic, it seems that when they change their username, the visiting cards or profile cards in the inventory of your friends still preserves the old name, although when you open the card the profile with the new name appears, is there any way to correct this? since if I change the username, I don't want the old name to be associated with the new 

39 minutes ago, Shantyck said:
  •  

hello I have a question related to the change of username in the avatars for premium accounts, I have talked to some friends who have changed their name of the topic, it seems that when they change their username, the visiting cards or profile cards in the inventory of your friends still preserves the old name, although when you open the card the profile with the new name appears, is there any way to correct this? since if I change the username, I don't want the old name to be associated with the new 

I found this problem also when I changed name and as far as I know, the one friends have will always be the old name (or anyone who was ever on your contact list)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Liaa Nova said:

I found this problem also when I changed name and as far as I know, the one friends have will always be the old name (or anyone who was ever on your contact list)

If I thought that, I want to change the name because I am going to use my avatar to put my store in sl, the problem that it has almost the same username that I use to socialize, many friends and ex-friends have that avatar in their list, ¿ Do you know if by calling Linden's lab they could change the name on the cards to the new one or delete them?

57 minutes ago, Shantyck said:

Do you know if by calling Linden's lab they could change the name on the cards to the new one or delete them?

i know that we can't change the name of a calling card ourselves in Inventory. And I know that if we delete the Friends subfolder in the Calling Cards folder then the Friends subfolder is automagically repopulated with the calling cards of our friends when we next login. Only for those on our Friends list tho. it doesn't repopulate other calling cards of non-friends that we may have deleted

i wonder if the repopulated card has the person's new name on it ? I cant test it myself as the people on my friends list haven't changed their name

People who had your card before the name change will always see your former legacy name. Same happens when you drag your calling card to a notecard, it will display the old. I found out when I applied at the DMV at my community, it kept showing my old name on the application form so I just wrote it manually. It may seem like a minor issue but I hope it would be fixed.

28 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i wonder if the repopulated card has the person's new name on it ? I cant test it myself as the people on my friends list haven't changed their name

I would think so, the calling card just contains a UUID and is resolved when you open it.  You can check this by editing the asset in your inventory and changing the UUID to the one for someone else.  Once you close the window, the calling card will change to that person's name.

• Thanks 1

no, it does not change, it generates another new card with the new name, but the previous card with the old name, redirects to the new one, I don't know if it is an error, so I want to consult it, I do not understand it as something simple as it is rewritten in the card the new name or they are deleted they were overlooked, when they tell you that your old objects will have your new name, it should be something automatic

1 hour ago, Shantyck said:

no, it does not change, it generates another new card with the new name, but the previous card with the old name, redirects to the new one, I don't know if it is an error, so I want to consult it, I do not understand it as something simple as it is rewritten in the card the new name or they are deleted they were overlooked, when they tell you that your old objects will have your new name, it should be something automatic

agree that calling cards should be the same as other assets and automatically updated when we access/view the calling card asset

edit: changed my understanding of this below

Edited by Mollymews

29 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

acuerda que las tarjetas telefónicas deben ser iguales a otros activos y que se actualicen automáticamente cuando accedemos / vemos el activo de la tarjeta telefónica

Yes, I understand perfectly, but with the user name change, another independent card is generated as if it were another user, but the old card still remains with the old name, only it redirects to the profile with the new name, you basically have 2 cards with the same profile, where one has the old name in the friendship folders in each inventory, so my question is if there is any way to remove it from inventories or change the old name to the new

2 minutes ago, Shantyck said:

Yes, I understand perfectly, but with the user name change, another independent card is generated as if it were another user, but the old card still remains with the old name, only it redirects to the profile with the new name, you basically have 2 cards with the same profile, where one has the old name in the friendship folders in each inventory, so my question is if there is any way to remove it from inventories or change the old name to the new

thinking about this more

i think that in the case you are mentioning Linden may have chosen to not automatically change/update the existing calling card asset. On the basis that our friend(s) may not know that we have changed our name to something else. And having our old name still on a calling card gives them a way to contact us (as they still know us), without having to work out for themselves what our new name might be

21 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

pensando en esto más

Creo que, en el caso de que mencione, Linden puede haber optado por no cambiar / actualizar automáticamente el activo de la tarjeta telefónica existente. Sobre la base de que nuestros amigos pueden no saber que hemos cambiado nuestro nombre por otro. Y tener nuestro antiguo nombre todavía en una tarjeta de llamada les da una forma de contactarnos (ya que todavía nos conocen), sin tener que averiguar por sí mismos cuál podría ser nuestro nuevo nombre.

It may be, but the name changes when you see your friend connected in your friends list, you see it directly, even another user card is generated, it is basically obsolete, there are more people that you do not have in your friends list Because you decided to leave If they are friends, they are the ones who maintain that relationship, which is much worse because it is not information that you want to share with them precisely because they are outside of your list, basically they allow users who no longer have a relationship with you to know personal data such as the new username, I see it more dangerous, it is like making your personal data visible to unwanted people

41 minutes ago, Shantyck said:

they allow users who no longer have a relationship with you to know personal data such as the new username

the ability to change our name is not designed to be a secret. It is only designed to enable us to change our name. Our account UUID is not changed.

if I change my name to say Molly Mulligan then LSL script function llGetUserKey("Mollymews") and llGetUserKey("Molly Mulligan") will return the same UUID. The UUID assigned to account name "Mollymews"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

la capacidad de cambiar nuestro nombre no está diseñada para ser un secreto. Solo está diseñado para permitirnos cambiar nuestro nombre. El UUID de nuestra cuenta no se modifica.

si cambio mi nombre para que diga Molly Mulligan, la función de secuencia de comandos de LSL llGetUserKey ("Mollymews") y llGetUserKey ("Molly Mulligan") devolverán el mismo UUID. El UUID asignado al nombre de cuenta "Mollymews"

Yes, but not everyone uses the uuid to search for profiles, the most common thing is to see profile cards or write the username in the search engine, the username allows us to identify ourselves faster than remembering a uuid, that is why it is important If you want to change the name, you have that privacy of the profile with those who are not from your friends list, I am not saying that it is hidden, but private, that is, if you do not have me on your list, you do not have access to my name information user if we no longer have any relationship or close contact.

12 hours ago, Shantyck said:

Yes, but not everyone uses the uuid to search for profiles, the most common thing is to see profile cards or write the username in the search engine, the username allows us to identify ourselves faster than remembering a uuid, that is why it is important If you want to change the name, you have that privacy of the profile with those who are not from your friends list, I am not saying that it is hidden, but private, that is, if you do not have me on your list, you do not have access to my name information user if we no longer have any relationship or close contact.

The point Mollymews is making is that as long as you know someone's old name, you will always be able to find their new name. You do not need a Calling Card, and removing/renaming old calling cards does not add more privacy.

Usernames are not personal information; they are literally one of the most fundamentally public pieces of information in SL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The point Mollymews is making is that as long as you know someone's old name, you will always be able to find their new name. You do not need a Calling Card, and removing/renaming old calling cards does not add more privacy.

Usernames are not personal information; they are literally one of the most fundamentally public pieces of information in SL

nop, in the search engine the profile with the old name does not appear, it only appears if you search for it with the new username.

What does not change is the uuid, which makes it possible to find the profile faster, but the ou to is that in the profile card it relates your new name to the old one, it is simple is to delete the previous ones or change the old name to the one new but it does not happen like that and that confuses because there are two cards redirecting to the same profile, which is a problem for me and with almost the same name as my social avatar, which can cause annoyance in that account, it will be that in the end not change the name and make it easier to make a new avatar that is not related to my accounts, anyway, thanks to all.

Edited by Shantyck
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Shantyck said:

nop, in the search engine the profile with the old name does not appear, it only appears if you search for it with the new username.

What does not change is the uuid, which makes it possible to find the profile faster, but the ou to is that in the profile card it relates your new name to the old one, it is simple is to delete the previous ones or change the old name to the one new but it does not happen like that and that confuses because there are two cards redirecting to the same profile, which is a problem for me and with almost the same name as my social avatar, which can cause annoyance in that account, it will be that in the end not change the name and make it easier to make a new avatar that is not related to my accounts, anyway, thanks to all.

25 minutes ago, Shantyck said:

The search won't find people by their old usernames, but scripts can.

llRequestUserKey: "Requests the Agent ID for the agent identified by name from the dataserver. The name given may be either the current name of an avatar or a historical name that has been used in the past. The agent being searched for with this function does not need to be signed on to Second Life."

So if you were to change your name now, I could still search for "Shantyck" and find your profile, even though I don't have a calling card from you.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I don't know how it works now, but I do know how it worked shortly after user name changes became available. Purely by chance, I happened to have an inventory window open with the Calling Cards folder expanded when a friend changed her name. I watched the name of the calling card change.

I can confirm that the couple people on my lists don't have their calling cards changed. Not sure when exactly they changed their names.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 1/14/2021 at 3:22 AM, Shantyck said:
  •  

I have noticed that calling cards of my friends are duplicated. They are present in the main calling cards folder and also in a sub-folder called Friends. A couple of my friends have changed their names and I have noticed that the calling cards in the Friends sub-folder have automatically updated their names but the ones in the main folder did not. If I open the calling card of the one that's not changed, it opens the correct profile and shows the new name there.

This means that it's not really possible to completely un-associate from your old name. Name changes were never intended to be completely anonymous. When you change your name you keep the same avatar key. If you need total anonymity, you need to create a new alt.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.