Has Second-Life been a viable alternative to going out to bars since the COV-19 pandemic hit? [optional survey attached]

cheapchase

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cultural Anthropology student here doing a project on Second Life. Specifically if places we visit outside of our home and work like coffee shops. I am predicting that due to COVID-19 the semi-social structure of these places will be more popular as real-life counterparts are more restricted. As for legitimacy, I am a student of Jeffery Snodgrass, a NSF award winning professor (https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2042612&HistoricalAwards=false&fbclid=IwAR1PKRPL9FOtFNNrj6AMgpKoWy5CKeZ7OiRwz9VOGZlt4b5mOYivJLZwNH8)  
If anyone is kind enough to bid their time and take an open-ened written response survey I would greatly appreciate the help, if not I whole understand as I probably would not if put in the same situation. I you would like to participate here is the link: https://forms.gle/tijU9qLQRea1JtTH7

Regardless, thanks for providing me entertainment these past few months at places like Blarney Stone or Old Lars, the D.J. sets have been a nice escape from not being able to go to as many bars as I would like. While it has not been a perfect replacement as the nearby chat overrides any personal conversations, there are still particual rules and customs adhered to.   

Let me know what your opinons are
Thanks, Cheapchase
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am of the opinion that research gathered here, in this forum, will be so skewed as to be useless.  You will get better data by mingling in venues, as you have already done.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, cheapchase said:

I am predicting that due to COVID-19 the semi-social structure of these places will be more popular as real-life counterparts are more restricted.

I don't frequent such places so can't help you there. But I am curious about how you formed your prediction, and what your hypothesis is from an anthropological perspective?

(I'm a former anthropology student - all my profs would be extremely ancient or spirit entities by now)

I did this survey - one of the more thoughtful and interesting SL surveys. Most of them clearly show that the surveyor has never even logged in or bothered to research what Second Life even is, but it's clear from yours that you've spent time in-world. Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm far too insular, (these days), to take your survey but my restrictions are self imposed and not any form of strict belief, hereditary or monetary influence.

I don't go to bars or coffee shops in RL and can't really think of a reason why I would quite frankly. 8-/ (I was a party animal/nightclubber once upon a time).
My spare time is spent with very old friends/like minded business owners/educators and they're all usually too busy to go to places like that.
We're lucky enough to have a weekly get together at "someones" house but there must be an artistic, (creative/hands-on), reason/theme and that's great fun.
Even if it's just brainstorming.

Some of my peculiarities are I will not, (under ANY circumstances), eat food that I haven't prepared myself and know what the exact ingredients & sources are.
I like my coffee and drinks mixed to perfection and again, unless prepared by myself? >NoCanDu<.

We are all lucky enough to be unaffected by Covid-19 in any way shape or form which can be attributed to how we live.
Our lives have not changed 1 iota since the pestilence descended upon us - thank goodness.
Dearest mother nature may it continue that way please.

Ty. 

• Like 1

I haven't hung out in bars for many years now.  Prior to Covid, my husband and I did go out to our favorite dance hall / bar once a week for an evening of dancing, but there was very little drinking involved.  I do miss those nights out, but other than now being inworld during those hours, I haven't really changed my SL behavior because of it.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:16 AM, Akane Nacht said:

I don't frequent such places so can't help you there. But I am curious about how you formed your prediction, and what your hypothesis is from an anthropological perspective?

(I'm a former anthropology student - all my profs would be extremely ancient or spirit entities by now)

I believe that since lockdowns are driving people inside, and closing down these types of establishments that virtual simulated experiences are being flocked to more. I don't see Second Life itself as a permanent replacement for Third Place intermediate areas like coffee shops since the chat system may be intimidating, and less side conversations than in real life counterparts,  but that could also just be me. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.