unable to change name ,AGAIN !!!

spatieman Balogh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So i was willing to change my name to this ๐“‘๐“ช๐“ท๐”ƒ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“š๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ท ,well, i cant..

i have seen names with styles like this, but for some reason it still changed the name back AGAIN ,to the login name, and says, u can change the name again in 7 days.

what kind of * is this, if i ask it rude....

Edited by spatieman Balogh
  • Confused 1

16 answers to this question

empirical evidence suggests that display names have to be 2 byte UTF-16 characters and cannot be from the 3 byte extended character font set

the font for ๐“‘๐“ช๐“ท๐”ƒ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“š๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ท is a 3 byte character font. The character "๐“ช" has a hexadecimal value of 0x01D4EA which is 3 bytes

edit add. empirical meaning that this is what people have discovered. Linden as far as I am aware have neither confirmed or denied it

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 3

According to the Knowledge Base, a Display may contain

• A string of characters up to 31 characters long ย that contains at least one alphanumeric character. It can include mostย Unicodeย script characters, spaces, and some punctuation.

It then definesย 

Allowed characters

In addition to letters and numbers, you can use the following characters in your display name:

• 'ย (apostrophe)
  • -ย (hyphen-minus)
  • .ย (full stop)
  • :ย (colon)
  • ยทย (middle dot)
  • ึŠย ึŠย  (Armenian hyphen)
  • ย (Hebrew geresh)
  • ืดย (Hebrew gershayim)
  • เผ‹ย (Tibetan tsheg)
  • -ย (hyphen)
  • โ€™ย (right single quotation mark)
  • โ€งย (hyphenation point)
  • =ย (katakana-hiragana double hyphen)
  • ยทย (katakana middle dot)

As Molly says, the characters inย ๐“‘๐“ช๐“ท๐”ƒ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“š๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ท may look like letters but as far as SL is concerned, they are not legal Unicode script characters.ย  If you get lucky, you can sometimes find fonts that are acceptable, but it's best to stick to the standard set that people and LSL scripts can read easily.

• Like 4

You are required to wait 7 days between changes.ย  I'm assuming the reason is that it takes time for name changes to propagate throughout the SL servers fully, so they decided 7 days would be a good threshold.ย  Also, it could be to thwart any possible griefing from such abilities.ย  Lord knows what other reasons.ย  You simply must wait until the date and time shown.ย  I hope this helps :)

4 hours ago, spatieman Balogh said:

This is odd...

i am able to set my new display name, ๐๐ข๐ฑ๐ข๐ž'๐ฌ ๐‹๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ,but it says, that i did not, oh wel, lets wait for systemwide update, pff..

Looks fineย 

Screenshot_20201128-095805.png

9 minutes ago, spatieman Balogh said:

Yes, but not ingame ,it show my login name, while i know i had it before ,hmm, i think i messed up somewhere...

My guess is something wrong with the font you are trying to use.ย  Your web profile has reverted to not showing it either

image.png.555f2738e0ea1888f111c418a623014a.png

ย 

Usually it only reverts back if the system doesn't like the font that you are trying to use.

ย 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.