Question about clothing and jiggly boobs

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's a strange question coming from me, but I'd like to know if clothing tops can be designed which, when worn, dampen the jiggly boobs effect, or even stop it. I'm asking for a friend :)

Not that I'm aware of but they could just not wear physics when dressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Since starting the thread, I've heard that a physics layer is sometimes provided with some clothes. I wonder if that a method of doing it.

If you're wearing a physics layer that gives your boobs some (or a lot of) bounce and don't want that to happen when you're clothed, you have two options.

1. Take off the physics layer when you put on the clothes, or
  2. Replace the physics layer with a different one when you put on the clothes

That's all there is to it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Since starting the thread, I've heard that a physics layer is sometimes provided with some clothes. I wonder if that a method of doing it.

I have never heard of clothing that comes with a built in physics layer,  since clothing and physics are two different things.  The physics layer would still have to be applied separately from the clothing.  So if the clothing item came with a folder she would still have the option not to wear the physics part.

• Like 2

Thank you @Wulfie Reanimator. I'm clueless about such things. I didn't even know that there's a physics layer, but it seem like the most likely way of doing it.

@Tazzie Tuque. I asked a friend who used to create clothes, and maybe still does, about this question. It was she who told me that she has some clothes that have a physics layer in their inventory. Maybe there is also instructions as to how to use it. It's all very strange to me :)

Thank you everyone. I think I have the answer to my query now.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

@RowanMinx Perhaps the reason a physics layer is sometimes included is the same as the reason why I started the thread. In RL, wearing clothes usually reduces the amount of boob movement, but it doesn't in SL. So maybe a layer is included so that the wearing of the clothes can be more RL-realistic.

I have a set of physics that have 15 options on 5 levels.  1 being the least and 5 labeled SEX if I remember correctly.  Option 1 would be used when fully dressed.  3 or 4 when I'm in a swimsuit.  I could, but don't, add those into the clothing folder.  

To be perfectly honest, most physics I've seen are wacky.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

In my opinion this is true.  I have them (no I did not buy them, they were a gift from a hopeful suitor)  but will not use them for that very reason,  most of the settings are way out of any sort of normal range.  Nothing worse than seeing a woman in a club bouncing out of her dress where the physics actually breaks through the mesh of the dress.  Nothing at all natural about that lmao.  Nor attractive in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

In my opinion this is true.  I have them (no I did not buy them, they were a gift from a hopeful suitor)  but will not use them for that very reason,  most of the settings are way out of any sort of normal range.  Nothing worse than seeing a woman in a club bouncing out of her dress where the physics actually breaks through the mesh of the dress.  Nothing at all natural about that lmao.  Nor attractive in my opinion.

The "bouncing out of your dress" thing happens because the body has physics but the dress doesn't, and people don't realize it's happening. (Especially if they have avatar physics disabled.) As long as you learn to adjust the physics yourself (that's what I do, I don't like overkill), they can be quite nice. It gets rid of that "plastic doll" look.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, RowanMinx said:

I have a set of physics that have 15 options on 5 levels.  1 being the least and 5 labeled SEX if I remember correctly.  Option 1 would be used when fully dressed.  3 or 4 when I'm in a swimsuit.  I could, but don't, add those into the clothing folder.  

Now the last 3 posts are interesting. Being a complete novice at it, I hadn't realised that the physics layer is for clothing. I thought that it's for the body. So the body can have physics and the physics layer is different.

@RowanMinx Can you tell me the name of the physics item that you have? I can do a search for it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Now the last 3 posts are interesting. Being a complete novice at it, I hadn't realised that the physics layer is for clothing. I thought that it's for the body. So the body can have physics and the physics layer is different.

@RowanMinx Can you tell me the name of the physics item that you have? I can do a search for it.

These are the ones I use.  Like I mentioned, I tried A LOT of them and even attempted to do them myself.  It's difficult getting sway and motion and whatever else there is to adjust, done correctly IMO.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Kadins-Physics-Layers-Ver-20/2298354

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It IS for the body but it can effect the clothing you wear depending on how the clothing is rigged.  Some moves well with the physics and some doesn't.  It's hit or miss but always a good idea to check and see how the clothing behaves.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Thanks 1

The physics layer is a "wearable" similar to your shape. It affects the avatar skeleton, and thus it affects anything that has been rigged to those specific "physics bones" of the skeleton.

There is no distinction between "the body" or "the clothing" in SL. They are both rigged attachments and that's what matters.

Not all mesh is rigged to physics, and even the things that are, aren't rigged identically so they can look and behave differently. The same even applies to mesh that isn't rigged to physics at all.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2

On 11/11/2020 at 3:58 AM, RowanMinx said:

Some hair makers used to include a physics layer with their hair.  I never used it myself.  Not sure why a clothing maker would include one.  I've never seen that and don't really see the point.

when hair covers the breasts and is not rigged for physics and the breasts wibble then like clothes that are not physics rigged the hair goes into the breasts

the issue for the hair makers if they do this is that they have to make different versions for each body type same as the clothes makers. So most don't and others just make standard and busty versions of the hair. The busty version just offset a bit further out than the normal version

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when hair covers the breasts and is not rigged for physics and the breasts wibble then like clothes that are not physics rigged the hair goes into the breasts

the issue for the hair makers if they do this is that they have to make different versions for each body type same as the clothes makers. So most don't and others just make standard and busty versions of the hair. The busty version just offset a bit further out than the normal version

I don't notice it as much now as when mesh hair first came out.  I have some jiggle most of the time and it rarely interferes with my hair.  I have more issues with alpha blending and masking with clothing and hair.  That's a pain in the rear if something is no mod.  Updo time!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.