Is Caspervend down?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Is not just products but also rentals. Linden can say oh! well not getting the rental payment is a resident-to-resident thing.  But... AnsheX and quite a few other big barons use Caspar. If this system fails, or experiences a sustained outage,  then Linden have a massive problem, 1000s of regions with unpaid L$ rent which the barons may not be able to cover. Or just as bad from a baron's management pov,  millions of L$ haphazardly dumped on baron avatar accounts by people worried about losing their homes if they don't pay somebody somehow

The economy didn't halt while Casper was down, not for products nor services (like rentals).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like money was still changing hands, just the "other half" of the transaction wasn't working, AKA product delivery. There would be no "unpaid land" trouble for landlords/barons.

It's slightly odd that there isn't(?) a refund option available in the case of their server being down at the time of the purchase, but, having a separate system for storing them until the servers come back up is quite a sophisticated (and commendable) solution.

I think Casper did fine considering the circumstances, just nobody else (merchants) was expecting this either and didn't know how to prepare or handle it. (Like not joining the announcement-group for the one service your business literally relies on...)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The economy didn't halt while Casper was down, not for products nor services (like rentals).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like money was still changing hands, just the "other half" of the transaction wasn't working, AKA product delivery. There would be no "unpaid land" trouble for landlords/barons.

It's slightly odd that there isn't(?) a refund option available in the case of their server being down at the time of the purchase, but, having a separate system for storing them until the servers come back up is quite a sophisticated (and commendable) solution.

I think Casper did fine considering the circumstances, just nobody else (merchants) was expecting this either and didn't know how to prepare or handle it. (Like not joining the announcement-group for the one service your business literally relies on...)

From what I've been seeing, people are getting their things, the world didn't come to a screeching halt and the sun will rise tomorrow.  Was it annoying?  I'm sure it was but so are group chats, teleport, MP issues, lag, region up lifts, missing inventory.  If it ain't one thing, it's another yet we still log in.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Sure, people can't gift with a vendor prim.

10 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

They can't have something redelivered, unless they have proof of purchase either.

Why not? I designed a KVP backed prim vendor and server setup that allows for both of these.

If by "prim vendor" you mean a scriptless vendor, then disregard.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

17 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

There are hundreds of store owners having no clue about the vendor system failing, but thats not Caspars fault, of course. Maybe LL will wake up now, after letting happen such a monopoly inworld structure with no backup at all.

This will probably come as a huge surprise to you, but there are no less than 4 networked vending systems currently available for purchase on the grid - and one of them doesn't even require a web server (it's functions are entirely inworld.)

How do I know? Its my "part time job" to know - I occasionally update this page.

16 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I know, but it boggles my mind, as i stand for user created content more than anything else.
Its just the impact it has right now. And no one, except one single person, is able to fix it.  That sounds off, a bit, for such a big economy.

You could always write your own vending system! :)

Edited by Structura Finesmith
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.