How has Second Life helped you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depression and anxiety is far from uncommon and I wanted to start a genuine discussion on if Second Life has helped you. This is a praise/talk about the good things Second Life has done for you. 

Personally, Second Life has been invaluable for my healing. Long story short, in 2018 my mother died expectantly. She was young. In 2019 my 11 year old dog died after a brief battle with cancer. And in 2020 my 20 year old cat passed away of old age. Basically, these past three years have been one gigantic punch after another and they all hurt in different ways (though of course my mother's passing is the deepest but that doesn't lessen the pain I feel for my pets, either). I got super depressed, which is something I've never really struggled with before, and in truth there's still days where I don't want to leave the bed. Yet I feel like Second Life has helped me more than I can adequately describe but I'll try. 

Of course there are ton of awful people here, just like in the real world, but I've also met some incredible people here. Ones who make me smile, ones who remind me there's still things to be happy and grateful for, and one in particular who picked me up out of the dirt when I was at my utter lowest. That person recently left SL due to RL issues, and though I told her this before she said her goodbyes in-world I want to say it here as well: Thank you. Thank all of you to who seem to go out of their way to make Second Life a positive, helpful place. A lot of people tend to either forget or purposely ignore the fact every avatar is an actual person with their own life and hardships going on when it is convenient for them, but then there are those who treat people just as they'd wish to be treated. It means a lot to me seeing as I honestly have lost touch with nearly all of my RL friends and my family is extraordinarily small. 

I'm sorry if my entry was sappy but I wanted to share and I hope you also share the positive ways Seconds Life has helped you deal with whatever you've got going on. There's so much negativity in the world that sometimes we need a little unrestrained positivity and a moment to feel grateful for all blessings in our lives, large and small. 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I think Second Life helped me learn more about people (even though I still have much to learn I admit.) It helped remove some of my preconceived notions about different kinds of people.

I know what you mean. You always intellectually know the world is full of a ton of different kind of people but you rarely are so blatantly confronted with this fact as you are on Second Life. If you let it Second Life can definitely teach you to have more tolerance. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I joined Second life back in 2007 as a 13 year old, my mother found Second life and thought I would like it, since I had a joy for virtual worlds like IMVU.

My mom however wasn't aware of the adult items it contained, neither did I before I accidentally landed in a orgy sim when I was looking for freebies, yikes.

Anyways.

I was struggling with daily bullying since I was 6, so it had taken a toll on me throughout the years, so the internet and the virtual world was my escape.

Second life made it easier for me to cope trough my struggles, if I hadn't had Second life in my life I think I would of done something to myself that I would regret or have been in a worse state than I am currently ( I struggle with social anxiety and evasive personality disorder to this day because of my childhood. )

I was a lonely teen in real life, so it really helped me socializing with people on Second life, it gave me freedom to be whoever I wanted to be, and to be myself 100% without feeling any shame, I also met a lot of amazing people throughout the years whom I have lost contact with but I still appreciate the time I got with them. I would say that my English wasn't the greatest either when I started, but Second life made me really improve a lot, which I'm really grateful for.

The things I have experienced, the people I have met and Second life in itself made me more mature and more thoughtful of my actions in a early age which I'm also grateful for.

Second life also gave me a platform to be creative in many ways, the way I express myself, the way I dress, the way I decorate, playing with edit mode and inspired me to try making my own textures, which I'm not the greatest at but it is still a skill that I'm glad that I have archived.

I have so many things that I'm glad that I learned and experienced in Second life, to much to even mention.

I have of course had bad experiences in Second life, since it is a world of people regardless how you turn on it,  I have been back stabbed, lied to, stalked, used, stolen from etc.

But it doesn't spoil the good memories I have had and still have, it has just learned me to be more strong and careful.

I'm now 26, I still have issues and probably will for a long time but Second life still helps me cope trough it and is still my happy place, so thank you linden labs for giving us a platform.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PixelBerry said:

I joined Second life back in 2007 as a 13 year old, my mother found Second life and thought I would like it, since I had a joy for virtual worlds like IMVU.

My mom however wasn't aware of the adult items it contained, neither did I before I accidentally landed in a orgy sim when I was looking for freebies, yikes.

Anyways.

I was struggling with daily bullying since I was 6, so it had taken a toll on me throughout the years, so the internet and the virtual world was my escape.

Second life made it easier for me to cope trough my struggles, if I hadn't had Second life in my life I think I would of done something to myself that I would regret or have been in a worse state than I am currently ( I struggle with social anxiety and evasive personality disorder to this day because of my childhood. )

I was a lonely teen in real life, so it really helped me socializing with people on Second life, it gave me freedom to be whoever I wanted to be, and to be myself 100% without feeling any shame, I also met a lot of amazing people throughout the years whom I have lost contact with but I still appreciate the time I got with them. I would say that my English wasn't the greatest either when I started, but Second life made me really improve a lot, which I'm really grateful for.

The things I have experienced, the people I have met and Second life in itself made me more mature and more thoughtful of my actions in a early age which I'm also grateful for.

Second life also gave me a platform to be creative in many ways, the way I express myself, the way I dress, the way I decorate, playing with edit mode and inspired me to try making my own textures, which I'm not the greatest at but it is still a skill that I'm glad that I have archived.

I have so many things that I'm glad that I learned and experienced in Second life, to much to even mention.

I have of course had bad experiences in Second life, since it is a world of people regardless how you turn on it,  I have been back stabbed, lied to, stalked, used, stolen from etc.

But it doesn't spoil the good memories I have had and still have, it has just learned me to be more strong and careful.

I'm now 26, I still have issues and probably will for a long time but Second life still helps me cope trough it and is still my happy place, so thank you linden labs for giving us a platform.

I wanted to invite you to join Raglan Shire and Small Talk groups.  These are fun groups with the tinies but humans and all kinds of avatars are welcome too - all that's really required of an avatar is don't be nude.  We will be going into "Wootmas" and the tinies get together and go caroling singing "Wootmas Time is Here" and other great songs which are totally original recorded songs.  Plus Keeba Tammas and the Tiny Maniacs put on a really great Wootmas show - it will get you feeling like the kid you never got to be.  It does me.  It's a lot of fun too!

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.