Beautiful Ads... But What Are You Selling?

Bloodsong Termagant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(pardon my ranting style, it is used for humor purposes only.)

i belong to a couple of discount shopping event groups, you know, the weekly ones.  and i go to web pages/galleries to quickly visually scan the goodies on offer.  more and more, i have been confused at what exactly some of these ads are selling. 

i thought it was just me, being a stupid old geezer, but i happened to mention it in one of the aforementioned groups.  i was just about to buy an awesome formal suit in raven black and crimson (my colours!), when i noticed there wasn't any demo options to test it first.  there wasn't any indication of what bodies/shapes it was for, etc etc.   it finally dawned on me that this image was NOT of the beautiful raven and crimson suit, but of the poses of the guys wearing the suit!  i double-checked in the group chat.  yes, the item was poses, not clothing.  OOPS!

feeling like a total idiot, i mentioned ads being confusing... and to my surprise, a lot of people agreed with me!

don't get me wrong.  these ad pics are GORGEOUS.  appealing.  beautiful, eye-catching, alluring.  but a lot of times, there's not even any text on the image stating what exactly it is advertising.

so many times i see beautiful pictures, like a head shot, gorgeous hair, lighting, beautiful model with makeup, sparkling eyes, jewelry...  and not a clue what the vendor is selling.  is it the hair?  the bangs ON the hair?  the skin?  the head shape?  a new mesh head  (not likely, okay)...  the makeup?  the freckles?  the jewelry?  one PIECE of the jewelry?  oh!  if i peer sideways at the name, it seems to be selling that one little nose stud, there.

a lot of times, the name is no help.  the name could be... Deluxe Mojo Sassafrass!  ...well what the heck is THAT!?

consumers need some info!  the product name is a start.  what it IS is helpful.  "Deluxe Mojo Sassafrass hairstyle!"  or "Deluxe Mojo Sassafrass freckles!"  or "Deluxe Mojo Sassafrass nose stud!"

other info is helpful as well.  is it rigged?  not rigged?  rigged for who/what, exactly??  does it require Advanced Lighting Model to look that cool?    and why, oh WHY, is everybody leaving off simple little indicators of the product permissions?  is it mod?  copy?  trans?  none!?

sometimes, with caspervend, i can right click and 'touch' the vendor, and get the menu so i can press the 'info' button.  if the vendor doesn't set up a description on the caspervend product page, it at LEAST tells me the name of the item, the price, and USUALLY the permissions.  sometimes i get nothing.  one time i didn't even get the permissions.  how do you even turn that off??

this is just a constructive suggestion.  take it how you will.  i will warn you, one of the persons in the aforementioned discussion we had in group stated flatly that if they couldn't tell what was being sold from the image, they gave it a pass entirely.  it is tempting.  saves me some money :X

TL;DR------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great product pics, guys!  please write on there somewhere what it is out of the image that you're actually selling.  :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:47 AM, Digit Gears said:

I'd like to hope I've done a well enough job with how I do my product pics. 

I just try to stick to a plain white backdrop, and if it's just an accessory or item ,I usually make the avatar blend in with the background.

For example.

[PH] Caravan Guard

I'm quite late to the party posting this, but this sort of thing is ideal, in my opinion. The set stands out from everything else, and it makes it pretty clear what it is, and what it looks like.

• Like 1

I have seen broken product with 8 x 1 star reviews. Appears to be the guy's last product and he never logged on again and it was never fixed, ships an empty box from what the review says. So to collect the vast unfilled shopping vacuum I made a product that's the same as the icon, boy the sale is amazing.

Obviously the product icon will do all the selling. Reviews does not seem to deter majority of the shoppers.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, Digit Gears said:

I'd like to hope I've done a well enough job with how I do my product pics. 

I just try to stick to a plain white backdrop, and if it's just an accessory or item ,I usually make the avatar blend in with the background.

For example.

[PH] Caravan Guard

I do like those pose shots!

But given that I work with square product pictures I need all the room I can get.
I also tend towards "in situation" pictures, even if it's just to clarify the whole "did they render this picture in blender or is it an actual in-world shot?"

(I'm not really sold on the "blank canvas" type, looks too much like an overpriced perfume ads imho)

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.