Group chat lag solutions - user end?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Jeanie Jupiter said:

I've been told that reducing the group list by deleting inactive members eases some of the chat lag. Is there any evidence to support this, or any other solutions?

I've seen it make a difference in group chat lag when the groups start getting a large membership. The more people in the group the more people leave the chat window open when it pops up (without talking) and that is what contributes to the lag so booting inactive members can help. Of course it all depends on the kind of group and how active the chat is. Go hang out in FS support sometime. The more people in the FS support group chat, the laggier it gets and it's about the largest group there is in SL that I'm aware of. Thousands of people in it.

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've seen it make a difference in group chat lag when the groups start getting a large membership. The more people in the group the more people leave the chat window open when it pops up (without talking) and that is what contributes to the lag so booting inactive members can help. Of course it all depends on the kind of group and how active the chat is. Go hang out in FS support sometime. The more people in the FS support group chat, the laggier it gets and it's about the largest group there is in SL that I'm aware of. Thousands of people in it.

Eliminating people who haven't logged in this year would have no effect on that particular lag...  as I understand it, it is only folks entering and leaving the group chat that make a difference. Someone suggested that eliminating the folks who haven't logged in lately was a solution - but that doesn't make sense to me. I would like to know if I am wrong :)

13 minutes ago, Jeanie Jupiter said:

Eliminating people who haven't logged in this year would have no effect on that particular lag...  as I understand it, it is only folks entering and leaving the group chat that make a difference. Someone suggested that eliminating the folks who haven't logged in lately was a solution - but that doesn't make sense to me. I would like to know if I am wrong :)

All I can tell you is that is does make a difference in groups I am in. The ones that do purge the lists periodically. It does help at least until the membership builds back up again. For how long and whether or not it's worth it for that particular group is up to the group owner.

4 hours ago, Jeanie Jupiter said:

I've been told that reducing the group list by deleting inactive members eases some of the chat lag. Is there any evidence to support this

Yes and no. Obviously the fewer people the chat is sent to, the faster it works. But this only applies to people who are actually online at the time. Old members who are so inactive they're not even logged on, shouldn't make any diffrence worth speaking of.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

I thought someone had previously said that basically every time a chat message is sent, the system has to check the entire group list to see who is online, so that it knows who to send the message to.  If it does work that way, then member size would have an impact.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought someone had previously said that basically every time a chat message is sent, the system has to check the entire group list to see who is online, so that it knows who to send the message to.  If it does work that way, then member size would have an impact.

Voice is Vivox. I think group chats might be, too. Unreal and Unity both use Vivox so it seems logical that voice and group chats in SL are Vivox since voice definitely is.

Wonder if we could get a Linden to confirm or specify. @Linden Lab

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Voice is Vivox. I think group chats might be, too. Unreal and Unity both use Vivox so it seems logical that voice and group chats in SL are Vivox since voice definitely is.

Wonder if we could get a Linden to confirm or specify. @Linden Lab

It would be wonderful if a Linden could verify one way or the other.  It looks like folks seem to have the same two 'technical' opinions that I have heard, and we don't know which (if either) is correct. Thank you for potentially bringing it to attention. :)

• Like 1

Things you can do to improve SL chat?

1. Kick everyone online out. Less people to send messages to, less lag.

2. Set up an external HTTP server and script a chat device.

3. Download Discord and use that instead. 

Short answer is, best way to chat with multiple people at once in SL is to not use SL.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.