Set max texture resolution

WingsOfPurity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

59 minutes ago, WingsOfPurity said:

Hi, is there a way to restrict the max texture resolution to something below 512?

Resize to a smaller size?   Maybe I am missing the actual question. 256 x 256 ? If you try and upload a texture that is say 300 X 250 it will resize to 256 x 256.   2048 is the largest you can upload and in most viewers that will BECOME a 1024 texture.  

More info on what you are trying to do might be good :D

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Resize to a smaller size?   Maybe I am missing the actual question. 256 x 256 ? If you try and upload a texture that is say 300 X 250 it will resize to 256 x 256.   2048 is the largest you can upload and in most viewers that will BECOME a 1024 texture.  

More info on what you are trying to do might be good :D

Sorry, I mean decreasing the size of all textures that are rendered in the viewer. The reason I want to do this is so my VRAM doesn't get completely full of unnecessary 1024x1024 textures that people seem to love oh so much. Not talking about texture uploads.

Edited by WingsOfPurity
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Restricting texture size does mean you'll be missing out on those awesome sims where the sim builder has had the foresight to pack 4 x 512 px textures into a single 1024 texture to reduce the lookup/get lag that would otherwise be incurred 4 times if they were 4 separate 512 textures.... Something to consider, and a reason I wouldn't personally do it unless I was trying to run my viewer on a Raspberry PI :P

Edited by Jettz80
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, KT Kingsley said:

Firestorm has a "Restrict maximum texture resolution to 512px" setting in Preferences/Graphics/Rendering which I've been using, though I haven't noticed any dramatic change in performance.

I have tried this on a machine that is limited to 4GB RAM and it does help with the load on the GPU, although I suspect that the full-sized textures are still downloaded so there's no easing of the network load, or even of the cache demands. I was worried at first that the extra processing to resize the textures to 512 max before flinging them at the GPU would slow things down but I saw no difference. This is partly subjective but partly based on having the task monitor window open as well as the viewer window and watching the figures.

I believe there is one area where it doesn't actually make a difference and that is to do with avatars and their baked textures, based on some crashes when in close proximity to highly-detailed avatars, but perhaps a Firestorm Dev can confirm this?

Preferences > Graphics > Rendering

• Restrict maximum texture resolution to 512px (requires restart)
  • Max Texture quality level: 3, 4, or 5 (affects newly loaded textures)

This is what quality 5 looks like:

64a5cdc39c.png

This won't get rid of the performance cost of loading new textures, your FPS will still drop significantly during.

4 hours ago, Jettz80 said:

Restricting texture size does mean you'll be missing out on those awesome sims where the sim builder has had the foresight to pack 4 x 512 px textures into a single 1024 texture to reduce the lookup/get lag that would otherwise be incurred 4 times if they were 4 separate 512 textures.... Something to consider

Something to consider: Even if you find the rare optimized custom sim build, the people in it can still lag you to high heavens.

When you're limited on memory, the texture quality is a very small price to pay.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Rule of thumb: a 512-size texture is half your screen height.

How often does something you're looking at fill half your screen?

Not really a good way to think about it.

Stretch that 512px texture on a sphere that covers half of your screen height. You're not seeing the full texture.

The more surface area a model has, the less texture you'll potentially see from a given angle.

That said, SL looks just fine with textures limited to 512. I've had that option on for over a year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.