Mysterious change of permissions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I had a mysterious change of permissions on an item I bought on Marketplace from a reputable creator. I don't think it's their fault, but rather a glitch that happened when SL crashed.

So . . .I bought a full-perms top on MP and made my own texture for it. All was well, the top fitted nicely (the smallest version from the pack). I went to a club and after a while there was a restart and I crashed out. When I relogged at home, I still had the top on but it was now plain white. I tried to reapply the texture I'd made but the top had lost all permissions so I couldn't do anything with it. I tried on the next size up and that was still full-perms and accepted the texture - but the smaller one was a better fit so I'd like to recover that if possible. 

I didn't change the perms myself, and even if I had, as owner I'd still be able to texture it. I cleared cache and even turned the computer off and on again. Now, several hours later, the top is still not allowing me to texture it.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so have they been able to remedy the problem?  I'm pretty sure it was to do with the region restart. 

Edited by Conifer Dada

10 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Today I had a mysterious change of permissions on an item I bought on Marketplace from a reputable creator. I don't think it's their fault, but rather a glitch that happened when SL crashed.

So . . .I bought a full-perms top on MP and made my own texture for it. All was well, the top fitted nicely (the smallest version from the pack). I went to a club and after a while there was a restart and I crashed out. When I relogged at home, I still had the top on but it was now plain white. I tried to reapply the texture I'd made but the top had lost all permissions so I couldn't do anything with it. I tried on the next size up and that was still full-perms and accepted the texture - but the smaller one was a better fit so I'd like to recover that if possible. 

I didn't change the perms myself, and even if I had, as owner I'd still be able to texture it. I cleared cache and even turned the computer off and on again. Npw, several hours later, the top is still not allowing me to texture it.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so have they been able to remedy the problem?  I'm pretty sure it was to do with the region restart. 

Don't think I've ever had that happen before but if you bought it from mp, maybe you can try the redeliver option?

Crashes can cause all sorts of problems but this one's new to me 😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

I didn't change the perms myself, and even if I had, as owner I'd still be able to texture it. I cleared cache and even turned the computer off and on again. Npw, several hours later, the top is still not allowing me to texture it.

That is probably due to an ancient bug that has never really been fixed. Patched a bit, but it still occurs. One of the fun ones that stems from that bug is when items mysteriously change permissions while in a vendor. This is long after the item has been loaded into the vendor. Then there is the one where you set permissions and 2 seconds after you set them they change (usually reverting back to original perms). I could go on.

If it were me, I'd go the redeliver route and just delete the extras.  And keep a spare copy in inventory if the item is copy. This is one of the reasons I don't like no copy items. If something goes wrong then I have to either do a redelivery or try to chase down the creator and get another copy with proof of purchase. It's much easier, with less hassle on the creator's part, to just grab a copy from inventory.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.