My new Onupup mesh body (can't change skin)

chaosonthegrid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, so I just started again in SL yesterday, been dipping in and out briefly for over 10 years now. I find the avi building the most difficult (although ultimately both fun and rewarding). I started with just a 100$ all in one thing off MP which was fine to start but it's only day two and I already decided I wanted to go mesh. I tried the two Signature demos,  the Jake Belleza ,and the Slink, but had a few problems and decided since I'm only just getting back to this to go with something cheap and cheerful while I'll settle in. 

After some Googling I found some love for the Onupup mesh body, and have found it pretty good (considering it's free!). But I've spent far too long trying to change the skin now so I though I'd just ask here. I've read the NC, I've searched though the forum, and watched YT vids. I just can't figure it out. I know it's probably obvious, but I can't do it. Need help please. Or at least another bunch of links to watch/read. Thank you.

Edited by chaosonthegrid

I do not know these freebie mesh bodies so well. But since it is BoM, you use any regular skin and wear it. It shows up on the mesh by itself.

Some skins has painted on nails, like it was when the avatar only had paddle feet and no 3D nails. You will need to wear "Fixes" for this. It works like finger and toe gloves and you tint them to match the skin.

New skins that's made for BoM takes care of this issue and do not paint on nails and toe shading.

26 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

You simply right click edit the each part of the body select textures throw a texture in..

Seriously just go and get a proper mesh body and if you can't afford one go get the Legacy Classic with just L$1 instead of 2000+ since spring.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meshbody/127/128/47

I would if I could get the demo to work. At the moment I've got no eyes, grey hands, and a horribly obvious neckline. The free one looked better (lucky I saved it!)

And I tried the right click and "throw in a texture thing" no luck. 

Edited by chaosonthegrid

1 hour ago, chaosonthegrid said:

OK, so I just started again in SL yesterday, been dipping in and out briefly for over 10 years now. I find the avi building the most difficult (although ultimately both fun and rewarding). I started with just a 100$ all in one thing off MP which was fine to start but it's only day two and I already decided I wanted to go mesh. I tried the two Signature demos,  the Jake Belleza ,and the Slink, but had a few problems and decided since I'm only just getting back to this to go with something cheap and cheerful while I'll settle in. 

After some Googling I found some love for the Onupup mesh body, and have found it pretty good (considering it's free!). But I've spent far too long trying to change the skin now so I though I'd just ask here. I've read the NC, I've searched though the forum, and watched YT vids. I just can't figure it out. I know it's probably obvious, but I can't do it. Need help please. Or at least another bunch of links to watch/read. Thank you.

If you watch the video in the marketplace description, this explains how to set it up for Bakes on Mesh.

Here's the jist of it though.

• Wear the upper body, lower body and head (they are three separate items). Right-click each piece and select Edit from the menu. Go to the Textures tab and click the square box with the picture of the skin in it.
  • In the texture picker, select "Bake" then choose the appropriate option from the dropdown list. For head choose BAKED_HEAD, for upper body choose BAKED_UPPER, for lower body choose BAKED_LOWER. Click OK 

1598578603_howtobake.thumb.jpg.b26ded59eaf7170396b3d6bbd36d87f4.jpg

• While you're in the texture window, change Alpha Mode from Blend to Mask, with a cutoff of 1. That will still allow you to use clothing alphas but it will avoid alpha glitching.
  • Close the Edit window and repeat for the other two pieces.
  • Now go into your inventory, find a system skin and Wear it. If you haven't got one, you can find some in the Library section of your inventory.

From here on, changing skin is simply a matter of changing your system skin.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

If you watch the video in the marketplace description, this explains how to set it up for Bakes on Mesh.

Here's the jist of it though.

• Wear the upper body, lower body and head (they are three separate items). Right-click each piece and select Edit from the menu. Go to the Textures tab and click the square box with the picture of the skin in it.
  • In the texture picker, select "Bake" then choose the appropriate option from the dropdown list. For head choose BAKED_HEAD, for upper body choose BAKED_UPPER, for lower body choose BAKED_LOWER. Click OK 

1598578603_howtobake.thumb.jpg.b26ded59eaf7170396b3d6bbd36d87f4.jpg

• While you're in the texture window, change Alpha Mode from Blend to Mask, with a cutoff of 1. That will still allow you to use clothing alphas but it will avoid alpha glitching.
  • Close the Edit window and repeat for the other two pieces.
  • Now go into your inventory, find a system skin and Wear it. If you haven't got one, you can find some in the Library section of your inventory.

From here on, changing skin is simply a matter of changing your system skin.

Thanks for the advice but I've followed the video several times, all I get is patchy skin on the face, no skin the the middle, and an indescribable mess everywhere else. I just wish I could get the good mesh options to work. But not going to buy then when I can't even get the demos to look half decent. Anyway, I've literally been doing this all day, I give up for now. Thanks for replies.

Edited by chaosonthegrid

16 minutes ago, chaosonthegrid said:

Thanks for the advice but I've followed the video several times, all I get is patchy skin on the face, no skin the the middle, and an indescribable mess everywhere else. I just wish I could get the good mesh options to work. But not going to buy then when I can't even get the demos to look half decent. Anyway, I've literally been doing this all day, I give up for now. Thanks for replies.

You must be missing something.  Post screenshots of you doing exactly what I did in my picture there.

• Patchy skin on the face - sounds like you applied the wrong bake, for example BAKED_UPPER on the head instead of BAKED_HEAD
  • No skin in the middle - check what you're wearing, possibly an alpha layer. Take it off.
  • Indescribable mess - show us a picture if you can't describe it.

I can't help with the legacy demo though, I've never tried it. Changing skins may be disabled on the demo version.

It really sounds like you need to take more lessons in basic understanding of SL functions before embarking on changing your avatar to mesh.  It's a long steep learning curve and you're only a few days old; what you're trying to do here requires a more-than-basic understanding of the edit functions. Go to the Builder's Brewery and follow some of their lessons, try to learn something new every day for a month. By then you might be ready to tackle this again.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.