SL Vogue! How Do You Do Fashion Photography?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, so THIS one . . .

The garments and accessories here are highly dramatic, so I decided to use a full background again (the rails of a Paris metro station), but set it up to make it very obviously stagey and artificial. This is meant to look like a slightly off-kilter runway show; the lighting (projectors and one point light for highlighting) are also set up to draw attention to the texturing and cut of the dress.

Model-16-Metro-3-Blank.thumb.png.2a591490d106f10009f5981d13ed6806.png

David Heather (Gianni Broda) -- Lau Sweater and Shorts
Essenz -- Mallorca Heels
Essenz -- Mallorca Anklets
Zibska --Themis Addornment (Head Dress)
{ID} -- Shibui Fan (Black)
Zibska -- Onne Eye Makeup 12
Cazimi -- Joyful Lipstick 4
[Carol G.] -- Breast Black Rose
[Monso] -- Babi Hair (Type B)

• Like 11

Taking pictures of myself takes so much time. I try to make it as close as possible in SL to avoid long postprosessing. I had to do something with the shoulder here, since it is a hopeless break. But I could have done something with the knee, added a shadow there so it's resting better on the floor. Lightned the very dark shadow on the elbow. But it is so tedious.

port_004sm.png

port_004ed3sm.png

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Taking pictures of myself takes so much time. I try to make it as close as possible in SL to avoid long postprosessing. I had to do something with the shoulder here, since it is a hopeless break. But I could have done something with the knee, added a shadow there so it's resting better on the floor. Lightned the very dark shadow on the elbow. But it is so tedious.

port_004sm.png

port_004ed3sm.png

Beautiful pic, Marianne!

The other option for the knee, if you're using Black Dragon (and it looks to me as though you are?) is the poser, and gently nudge it down to the ground.

So, yeah. This one gave me a hard time.

I'm never entirely sure about fashion pics done in black and white -- colour, obviously, can be a really important element of any outfit.

In this case, however, the garments are essentially monochromatic, and I felt the pic was enhanced by stripping it down and highlighting, maybe a bit more dramatically, that element of starkness.

It's also a darker pic: generally, I use lighter foregrounds and darker backgrounds to make the clothing stand out, but here I've reversed that. I am honestly not sure if that was wise or not, but hopefully the lighting does catch some of the lovely textured detail on skirt, top, and necklace.

Church-Music-Blank.thumb.png.7911195902a79d783c7ead2449a624ab.png

{ViSion} - Amara Bodysuit (Ribbed)
{ViSion} - Amara Skirt
{ViSion} - Amara Necklace
[MJN] - Essentials (G11) (Eyeliner)
Cazimi - Joyful No.4 (Lipstick)
Magika - Faye (Hair)

• Like 6

On 10/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Beautiful pic, Marianne!

The other option for the knee, if you're using Black Dragon (and it looks to me as though you are?) is the poser, and gently nudge it down to the ground.

That was a nice compliment, that it looks like I am using Black Dragon. No, I am using Firestorm. BD is too hard for my computer.

The other way would be using a poseball and rotate/move it. I can not remember how I posed here, with an animation or a poseball.

• Like 1

So, another fairly minimalist background, with a heavy reliance on lighting to highlight aspects of the garment -- here, most particularly, the shiny materials of the rubbed leather portions of skirt and top. I've also used what is I suppose a more "dramatic" angle, which possibly does not show off the outfit as well as a more head-on pic would, but that I think helps create a sense of movement and reinforces the "feel" of the piece.

I love this skirt outfit. I love how it uses leather.

1058897846_Model-17Counterparts.thumb.png.68f8ce902cade2561ea2338761c7e191.png

Giz Seorn (GizzA) - Chantal Outfit [Leather Black] Top
Giz Seorn (GizzA) - Chantal Outfit [Leather Black] Skirt
Gulabi - Arya Scarf (Silk)
Mesh Agency - Maya Thigh-High Sock Boots
Tram - J0826 (Style 2)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

slowly over the past 2 years that i've been on sl, i have been trying to upgrade my quality of photos considering it's something i love to do and it helps out with a portfolio for graphic design (since i am studying that for a trade!) 

i would like to share a few things i have taken recently! -- it might not be too "fashionable" in the traditional way, but eh! here it goes anyway!

EDIT: if anyone wants to leave any criticism! please do!

ANOTHA EDIT! (xD): i am not sure where half of the items came from in the outfits so i am not going to dig around my dusty inventory to find them now! if i need to, i will. sorry about that! :D

Chilled Air

Hanging Out!

Edited by Ignis Dismantled
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ignis Dismantled said:

slowly over the past 2 years that i've been on sl, i have been trying to upgrade my quality of photos considering it's something i love to do and it helps out with a portfolio for graphic design (since i am studying that for a trade!) 

i would like to share a few things i have taken recently! -- it might not be too "fashionable" in the traditional way, but eh! here it goes anyway!

EDIT: if anyone wants to leave any criticism! please do!

ANOTHA EDIT! (xD): i am not sure where half of the items came from in the outfits so i am not going to dig around my dusty inventory to find them now! if i need to, i will. sorry about that! :D

Chilled Air

Hanging Out!

in my (poor) opinion the first shot is too dark, I cannot recognize your outfit, in the second one the "punctum" are the blue eyes that have distracted me from the rest which is blurred and there is too much use of High-key lighting 😎

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, manoji Yachvili said:

in my (poor) opinion the first shot is too dark, I cannot recognize your outfit, in the second one the "punctum" are the blue eyes that have distracted me from the rest which is blurred and there is too much use of High-key lighting 😎

ah! yes now that you point those pointers out in the photos, i see what you mean, tysm! i will work on it. c:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Haven't done one of these in a while!

In this one, I'm featuring Lux Aeterna's newish "The Harlow" silk gown and duster coat. The gown is very nice, but it's the duster that makes this outfit.

Before taking this one, naturally, I did some research, looking at pics of Jean Harlow, after whom this outfit has been named. The best photographer of Harlow, in my view, was George Hurrell, who used light and shadow beautifully. The Hurrell pic I latched on to almost immediately is a full-length portrait of the star in a long criss cross-topped white gown, and framed in an oval of light. You can see the pic here.

I liked the lighting a lot, but was not so keen on the pose, in which Harlow stands looking down, away from the camera, with her hands behind her back. I discussed it with @Madelaine McMasters, who similarly noted that she looks somewhat submissive -- the standard "Starlet" pose of a woman who has been created by the Hollywood system, a consumable good for the cinema-going public. Maddy usefully compared the way that Harlow is packaged in this shot with photos of "strong" women actors, such as Lauren Bacall. So, I have deviated from the pose in the original shot (as well as some of the other details). I think the fascinator (which was actually somewhat out of fashion in Harlow's day) adds a touch of sophistication and power by subtly masking the eyes.

I used a combination of directional lighting (from two projector lights) and point lights to produce highlights. I wanted to suggest, as Hurrell does in his picture, that the light is almost emanating from the garment and model; I think that this in particular focuses attention upon the sheen and cut of the duster (which, as I said, is the stand-out piece in this ensemble). In addition to a bit of a frame from the stone monument within which I am standing, I've employed a leafy tree to add a bit of texturing to the otherwise dark background.

Credits

Lux Aeterna - Bias Silk Slip (Black)
Lux Aeterna - Silk Duster Coat (Dusty)
Violetility - Cage Veil Fascinator (Black)
Old Treasures - Moonlight Earrings (Green)
erratic - Triangle Necklace
Ingenue -Rosalba Heels (Not shown)
VANNIES - Pantyhose Vintage 5 (not shown)
[MJN] - Maven Gloss {GEN-8}
VELOUR - Selena Eyeshadows #6
Magika - Lyric (Hair)

The-Harlow-Blank.thumb.png.b68b863a51f2329684175e0914237055.png

• Like 5

On 7/3/2020 at 5:23 AM, Jordan Whitt said:

Para mim, isso equivale ao tipo de fotos que faço quando estou blogando. Para mim, minha prioridade é mostrar o visual da melhor forma. Costumo tirar minhas fotos o mais próximo que posso, sem cortar muito da roupa, e porque odeio fotos de corpo inteiro (da cabeça aos pés). Se eu tiver que fazer um, tento encontrar uma pose sentada que funcione para a roupa, pois acho isso mais fácil do que tentar encaixar meu avi completo em uma foto em pé. Eu ouvi uma vez que você não deve cortar os dedos das mãos ou dos pés das fotos, pois essa é uma imagem perturbadora, e também não ao redor dos joelhos, então eu sempre tento manter isso em mente quando estou enquadrando uma foto.

1. Acessórios - escolho bolsas, bijuterias e cabelos que não cobrem e complementam o look que procuro. 

2. Pose - Aquela que combina com a roupa, não corta / esconde a textura ou características da roupa e me dá vontade de comprar se eu visse no blog de outra pessoa.

3. Plano de fundo - Eu quero um que torne a imagem parte de uma cena ou apenas um pano de fundo simples que torne o visual o foco? Geralmente é a parte que me leva mais tempo.

4. Windlight / Shadows - Eu costumo usar isso para adicionar um pouco mais às imagens, mas às vezes as coisas ficam melhores sem eles. Tudo depende de como eu quero a minha foto

5. Edição - Eu tendo a não fazer muitas edições em minhas fotos porque passo o tempo certificando-me de que elas fiquem tão boas quanto posso no mundo, que muitas vezes não preciso consertar nada. Mas se eu fizer isso, são apenas pequenos consertos como corte de cabelo / corpo, conflitos alfa, etc. Então eu simplesmente desfoco, adiciono meu filtro favorito atual e, em seguida, recorte a imagem para o que eu acho que parece melhor.

Alguns exemplos ...

Image111.jpg

PS OLHOS! Sempre me certifico de que eles estão olhando diretamente para a câmera para "se conectar" com o público, ou se estão olhando para longe, é porque isso se ajusta ao clima da foto.

I am a photographer and I really admire fashion photos, my photos are more geared towards couples, my wife is the one who is good at these photos, I liked the second photo it looks very natural, it looks like someone RL who is leaving from a boat trip or the beach, could you tell me which viqer you used to make the photo and what effect during the day? she is pregnant and I wanted to take some pictures in this beach style or something. and I loved the light. perfect framing and colors, I would only put a dress on the crochet part, in a more vivid color, a blue that could be noticed better. it would be a nice highlight in contrast to the model's hair.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.