Repetive spam now allowed?

Raphael Rutherford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

There seem to new spamming trend in SL.
I repeatedly (daily) get spam from various stores and creators.
It's sent by an object, so it cannot be blocked. Well, it CAN be blocked, but it doesn't make a difference, the spam message get through anyway.

Here's an example:
[MODERATOR EDIT: Identifying information removed]

The owner of the object, in this case, is [Moderator Edit: Username Removed], 5 years+ old. Member of 10-20 groups, which ALL has "SPAM" in the name and seems to be groups that teach how to promote stuff with spam.
Blocked the owner too, makes no difference.
Going to the location if the object in [Moderator Edit: Region Name Removed], reveals a HUGE array of "servers" that sends spam.
The way it's done is that these servers cycle though large lists of SL residents and check their online status. When they find someone who's online, they send a spam message similar to the one above.
I get at least one a day, normally 2-3 from different shops.

I report it EVERY time to Linden Labs, but, as usual, nothing happens.

I find it sad that it's now legit to spam SL users, and afraid this might be what put an end to my, so far, 16 year+ SL experience.

Any others who get the same, and either know how to get rid of it, or know how to wake up LL on this?

I've tried contacting them directly, which is almost impossible, and they obviously just referred me to use the in-world report.
I could as well bang my head in the wall it seems.

/Raph

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 answers to this question

Firstly: Yes, it's annoying. I hate places with "automatic subscriptions" just from entering the sim. I think it shouldn't be allowed.

That said, having lots of "servers" isn't necessarily an evil thing, it's simply practical even if you only need/want to send a message very infrequently. There is a forced delay of 0.1 seconds to read one line of a notecard, and there's a forced delay of 2 seconds per message sent.

So if you have lots of people to notify, it helps to "split the load" so instead of (for example) 3 hours (5000 people) you can do it in 20 mins (9 servers).

On 10/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Some viewers, such as Firestorm, have a defense against repetitive spam. You can limit the number of times in a short time period that something can request access to your viewer.

That isn't what this is.

This is when a scummy business owner sets up objects to put ads for their business into my chat window, as if it were local chat.  I can block all I want, but they can still invade my window with their spammy ads.  I end up blocking the business owner, the objects, various people; but when I log back in it becomes a new instance of the object so it's no longer blocked.

There are actually a number of groups (searching groups for "spam" yields a list) where business owners talk about it and spam-friendly sims sell space for it, so one can set up an object to send the spam; so apparently LL is perfectly okay with this abuse.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:02 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Firstly: Yes, it's annoying. I hate places with "automatic subscriptions" just from entering the sim. I think it shouldn't be allowed.

It isn't allowed. It's in the TOS under 6.1 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

4 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

It isn't allowed. It's in the TOS under 6.1 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

I wish LL would enforce it, then.  There are many groups (as I mentioned, just search groups for the word "spam") that openly exist for users who want to spam users with ads, provide land, for a fee, for objects to do it, and the like.  LL could go through those groups and take action to prevent it (maybe warning them they had to stop and then banning members if they continued, or since it's already against the TOS, just ban them).

I've sent several reports in-world to LL about Fixi's, the spammers listed by the OP, and apparently LL is unwilling to do anything to prevent them from spamming, because they continue to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.