Newbie trying to Rez object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a Basic Level newbie who has been gifted with some Lindens by a friend.

I have bought a Gunboat.

I went to Sandbox Island, where I have permission to "rez" things. When I drag the Box from my inventory to the ground, it asks if I want to Add to my Outfit or Replace it. I can't figure out how to do anything else to it.

I can open the Box by wearing it, but now I'm wearing a giant boat for a hat.

There is no water on Sandbox Island. Regardless, I can't rez the boat without wearing it as an ornament.

What am I missing?

Some vehicles are wearable instead of being ones that you rez. Those vehicles are great for using in situations where you can't rez objects. You might try going to a water rez zone and adding the boat to your outfit and see if that works. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rezzing_Zones

ETA: Just to try to not be confusing, you do not HAVE to go to a rez zone if it is actually a wearable boat. But you might want to go there anyway in case it turns out that the boat is meant to be rezzed. :) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

17 minutes ago, DavesBrain said:

I can open the Box by wearing it, but now I'm wearing a giant boat for a hat.

Based on this, I'm assuming that it is not a "wearable" boat and that you do need to actually rez it and then sit in it -- though my assumption may be wrong.

17 minutes ago, DavesBrain said:

I went to Sandbox Island, where I have permission to "rez" things. When I drag the Box from my inventory to the ground, it asks if I want to Add to my Outfit or Replace it. I can't figure out how to do anything else to it.

It could just be that you are not dragging it to a location far enough from your body and so it thinks that you are trying to wear the box.  When you drag it from inventory, make sure to drag the cursor to a spot on the ground that is definitely away from your body.

• Like 1

Also, some vehicles have two parts: a rezzable vehicle that does the actual moving around, and a wearable part that provides all the visuals. With these you rez the vehicle part and sit on it and wear the visual part. The vehicle part triggers an animation that locks your avatar and its worn attachment into place.

46 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Some vehicles are wearable instead of being ones that you rez. Those vehicles are great for using in situations where you can't rez objects. You might try going to a water rez zone and adding the boat to your outfit and see if that works. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rezzing_Zones

ETA: Just to try to not be confusing, you do not HAVE to go to a rez zone if it is actually a wearable boat. But you might want to go there anyway in case it turns out that the boat is meant to be rezzed. :) 

Yes, which is why I went to Sandbox Island. This was the suggestion for trying out vehicles. It doesn't work.

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on this, I'm assuming that it is not a "wearable" boat and that you do need to actually rez it and then sit in it -- though my assumption may be wrong.

It could just be that you are not dragging it to a location far enough from your body and so it thinks that you are trying to wear the box.  When you drag it from inventory, make sure to drag the cursor to a spot on the ground that is definitely away from your body.

I am able to set it on the ground. The problem comes when I try Open it. The only options are adding to my outfit or replacing it.

35 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Also, some vehicles have two parts: a rezzable vehicle that does the actual moving around, and a wearable part that provides all the visuals. With these you rez the vehicle part and sit on it and wear the visual part. The vehicle part triggers an animation that locks your avatar and its worn attachment into place.

Yes. There are some Weapons that appear in a separate box. Sandbox Island doesn't allow weapons. I wondered if that was the problem.

So, the next thing to try is a location where I am allowed to rez objects. I don't know any.

30 minutes ago, DavesBrain said:

Yes. There are some Weapons that appear in a separate box. Sandbox Island doesn't allow weapons. I wondered if that was the problem.

So, the next thing to try is a location where I am allowed to rez objects. I don't know any.

A sandbox that doesn't allow weapons will not prevent a box from opening or prevent anything from attaching.  It is simply the function of the weapon that won't work.

If you are allowed to rez the box on the ground then you are in a location that allows you to rez objects.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

58 minutes ago, DavesBrain said:

Yes, which is why I went to Sandbox Island. This was the suggestion for trying out vehicles. It doesn't work.

I was wondering if it needs to rez on water due to some script in it. I'm honestly not sure what else you to tell you if you don't try our suggestions. 

Click the "Only copy to Inventory", the button just below Add to outfit.

Then go to Tradewinds Yacht Club in the Dex region.  They allow rezzing of boats.  Drag the SS Despot object from your inventory and drop it on the water near the shore.

• Like 3

Ohh not played with them in years. Southern Seas Shipyards are very old, they do sell boats that come in two parts with auto-attaching detailed sections as KT Kingsley describes, but from the description it seem the boat all comes in one piece without attachments.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SSS-Gunboat-pirate-battle-ship/1918791

The gestures in the box are for the controls, the notecard will explain them. It probably comes with a hud you can use instead of the gestures. The boat itself you will want to rezz in water at a rezz zone. NE corners of most blake sea areas will allow that, but you are probably better starting off in the Jeogeot inner sea which is rezz enabled for combat. You should be able to rezz in any of the water there. Sometimes rezzing on water can be tricky cam vertically down on to the water surface before dragging the boat on to it, or if that doesn't work drag it directly on to the sea bed.

SS Reprisal in Jeogeot a good place to rezz it, you can then sail up to the new coastlines of Bellisseria to go plundering.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Woodbine/128/128/36

I think the depot object seen in the photo will be a repair station. The boat is SPD combat enabled so can take damage. The notecard will explain how the depot works. You shouldn't take damage unless someone else fires on you on you crash into other boats. If you do take damage either follow the depot instructions at a rezz area or just rezz a new boat.

The boat itself is probably labeled SSS Gunboat, or similar.

Edited by Aethelwine
wrongly attributed reference
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Click the "Only copy to Inventory", the button just below Add to outfit.

Then go to Tradewinds Yacht Club in the Dex region.  They allow rezzing of boats.  Drag the SS Despot object from your inventory and drop it on the water near the shore.

you can also get some simpler freebies to start sailing with from Tradewinds. The Becky Bwind (or something like that) - is a great starter boat.

Also grab these to play with, they are a new shipyard giving out some nice relatively easy to use boats, that won't look so out of place with your outfit!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/220219

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavesBrain said:

I am able to set it on the ground. The problem comes when I try Open it. The only options are adding to my outfit or replacing it.

You can ignore both of those options. Just click "Copy to Inventory" and it will simply create a new folder in your inventory with the same name as the name of the box. Your boat will be safely stored in there and not on your head. Then you can go find some water (Search your map for "Bellisseria Fairground"; it has a big jetty with a water rez zone).  Once there, open the inventory and find that folder. Your boat will be in there, with another "box" icon except its not a box, it's the actual boat. Drag that item onto the water. 

If its in the wrong place or facing the wrong way, RIGHT-click the boat and select EDIT. Coloured arrows will appear on the boat.  You can use the arrows to move it. Select Rotate from the list at the top of the edit window and the arrows change to circles, now you can rotate it. Once you have it positioned right, close the edit window and right-click it again and choose SIT. Or the creator may have re-named it to "Sail" or "Drive" or something like that.

Most vehicles come with an instruction notecard as well, which tell you how to drive it and use whatever other features it has.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:04 AM, Maitimo said:

Once there, open the inventory and find that folder. Your boat will be in there, with another "box" icon except its not a box, it's the actual boat. Drag that item onto the water. 

This was the problem. My friend showed me what was wrong.

Inside the box, there are at least fifteen items, all with virtually identical names to the purchased item - many of which I never have to do anything with.

Only ONE of the items is the actual boat. I had to scroll down to find the specific item and rez THAT one item.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.