You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been using Singularity for a few years on Windows 8, but recently upgraded to Windows 10. I saw some things where SL is not compatible with Intel HD 3000 graphics, but it was running fine before I upgraded.

I get the message  "Unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest drivers, try reinstalling them."

I have Intel 2nd Generation HD Graphics, which is a pretty old version, but was working great until I went from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

I'm hoping this doesn't result in me needing a new computer. Any ideas?

Edited by MadRose1576

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Or read more guides...

Even though you are using Singularity, Firestorm's Wiki might be helpful: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_intel_issues

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_intel_fix_32bit

In short: the 32bit version might help you.

It’s none of that, there simply are no Intel hd 3000 drivers compatible with Windows 10. All you have is a Microsoft default video driver.

you can force driver compatibility with windows 8.1 versions but it’s extremely buggy

SL has no issues with hd 3000 otherwise on any viewer I’m aware of, a Thinkpad x220 with hd3000 is the main computer I use for SL.

If OP wants to play SL on that machine they need to use a different operating system. If it’s a desktop they can add a dedicated graphics card, but if it’s a laptop their option is just to change OS.

19 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

It’s none of that, there simply are no Intel hd 3000 drivers compatible with Windows 10. All you have is a Microsoft default video driver.

you can force driver compatibility with windows 8.1 versions but it’s extremely buggy

SL has no issues with hd 3000 otherwise on any viewer I’m aware of, a Thinkpad x220 with hd3000 is the main computer I use for SL.

If OP wants to play SL on that machine they need to use a different operating system. If it’s a desktop they can add a dedicated graphics card, but if it’s a laptop their option is just to change OS.

The viewer is running perfectly fine in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. The problem is that the executable file is explicitly configured to be compatible with Windows 10, which will result in Windows not trying to run the viewer in compatibility mode (if you don't specifiy explicit Windows 10 compatibility, an application will always run in Windows 8 (or 8.1) compatibility mode). This is done by a so-called application manifest file, which is built into the executable file. Not sure how it is done in Singularity, but both the LL viewer and Firestorm do not set Windows 10 compatibility for their 32bit versions exactly because of the issue with older Intel GPUs.

If you are confident enough to mess with the executable file, you can install something like Resource Hacker and remove the application manifest file from the executable:

723db0f986d5e1392330eb4f53eba58c.png
https://gyazo.com/723db0f986d5e1392330eb4f53eba58c

The screenshot shows where to find it for the LL viewer, but should be identical in Singularity. If you remove the "1 [English (United States)]" item and save the changes, the viewer should start in Windows 8 compatibility mode next time and work with the HD 3000 GPU.

• Like 1

I have tried and failed several times to get Singularity to install on my HP laptop with Intel 3000 integrated graphics. SecondLife official viewer 32 bit works fine, as does Firestorm 32-bit, but Singularity gave the same installation failure message for each version, 64-bit and 32-bit, "Get a better machine, you pauper"

41 minutes ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

The viewer is running perfectly fine in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. The problem is that the executable file is explicitly configured to be compatible with Windows 10, which will result in Windows not trying to run the viewer in compatibility mode (if you don't specifiy explicit Windows 10 compatibility, an application will always run in Windows 8 (or 8.1) compatibility mode). This is done by a so-called application manifest file, which is built into the executable file. Not sure how it is done in Singularity, but both the LL viewer and Firestorm do not set Windows 10 compatibility for their 32bit versions exactly because of the issue with older Intel GPUs.

If you are confident enough to mess with the executable file, you can install something like Resource Hacker and remove the application manifest file from the executable:

723db0f986d5e1392330eb4f53eba58c.png
https://gyazo.com/723db0f986d5e1392330eb4f53eba58c

The screenshot shows where to find it for the LL viewer, but should be identical in Singularity. If you remove the "1 [English (United States)]" item and save the changes, the viewer should start in Windows 8 compatibility mode next time and work with the HD 3000 GPU.

I understand that there are other issues with Hd 3000 on a lot of viewers but the issue is still a lack of drivers.

If they have HD 3000 and Windows 10, they have no video drivers. They’re just running the Microsoft standard display adapter driver and that’s why any viewer would fail to start on those grounds.

You can sometimes get the 8.1 HD 3000 drivers to install and work, but windows 10 is really picky about it and it only works consistently on LTSC.

HD 3000 otherwise plays just fine with SL, I use it on my X220 as mentioned all the time without error, but I run Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and Lubuntu 16.04 LTS. That’s really the option for OP as mentioned if this is a laptop, downgrade the OS to 8.1 at the newest or use Linux.

If it’s a desktop they can slap in a cheap GT 730 or whatever for 30 bucks and get better overall performance and circumvent the issue entirely.

2 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

I understand that there are other issues with Hd 3000 on a lot of viewers but the issue is still a lack of drivers.

If they have HD 3000 and Windows 10, they have no video drivers. They’re just running the Microsoft standard display adapter driver and that’s why any viewer would fail to start on those grounds.

You can sometimes get the 8.1 HD 3000 drivers to install and work, but windows 10 is really picky about it and it only works consistently on LTSC.

HD 3000 otherwise plays just fine with SL, I use it on my X220 as mentioned all the time without error, but I run Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and Lubuntu 16.04 LTS. That’s really the option for OP as mentioned if this is a laptop, downgrade the OS to 8.1 at the newest or use Linux.

If it’s a desktop they can slap in a cheap GT 730 or whatever for 30 bucks and get better overall performance and circumvent the issue entirely.

Nope, wrong! Since I have an old laptop here with an Intel HD 3000 GPU and Windows 10 running on it, I can easily demonstrate how much of a driver there is:

image.thumb.png.5a83f3f115fce6e994f84785339e24d0.png

The driver comes directly with Windows 10 and is not the base driver Windows installs if it doesn't have a specific driver for the GPU. The only problem with this driver is that the actual Windows 10 profile is broken (presumably because Intel never provided full Windows 10 support), so you MUST run the application in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode, which - as already stated - does not work if you define explicit Windows 10 compatibility via application manifest.

So again: If you want to run SL on a computer with Intel HD2000/3000, you either need to install a 32bit version or you need a 3rd party tool to remove the application manifest file from the viewer's executable to run the application in Windows 8/8.1 compatibility mode.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.