Resources for the 40+ avatar

MillyWH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen a few people talking about the lack of clothe/skins/hair  that would work for an avatar that looks 40 and over or people who can't find clothes that are more covered up and not really sexy club wear.  So I thought I would start a thread where we can share resources, pictures, ideas etc . I know some people (like myself) love to shop and have free time to be in SL a lot and other people don't so camming around a store to hopefully find a few items that might work is not fun at all so this might help people get in and get out and get the look they want.

A lot of times some stores will have items you can wear in different ways to make them look older or younger.  A dress that is too short can be worn with leggings or jeans to turn it into a tunic  (and honestly if it's a mesh template  that is being used someone probably has made it into a tunic.) Or you can use applier or BOM layer to add a tank top or cami if a neckline is showing too much cleavage. 

So my first recommendation for a store is Neve by Coldlogic. Neve has a lot of nice separates and mix and match pieces as well as having good basics. And there are some wonderful bonuses: the clothes come in 4 color or pattern packs that are 200L and fatpacks are 600L (usually at the time I'm writing this it may change).  The clothes also have flexibility via the HUD to make them more wearable with things like belt loops, pockets and waist bands that can be turned on and off, different pant lengths, sweater sets or jackets and tops where the top can be hidden or the jacket.

Bodies supported by Neve are Maitreya and all Belleza bodies and now Legacy bodies. 

Here is two looks I put together using the same Neve sweater. I added the HUDs so you could see the options for what could be hidden (nothing on the sweater could be hidden). I don't have 2 completely different looks on (I was doing this one day before I had to go to work ) but it gives you an idea of how changes can be made. I know the sweater shows a little tummy but I was just trying to show how you can change the feel of an outfit.

neve outfit_001 (1).jpg

neve outfit_002.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly... for my liking, neither of those two looks remotely come close to the air of a 40 years old woman. Perhaps in total of both their ages added together, but well...

Yes, the mentioned store does have nicely casual, neutral pieces which can easily work for more serious and/or older looks. Those shown probably aren't the best example.

Nonetheless... Coco, Valentina E., Belle Epoque, some erratic, PixieMode. !APHORISM! and so on can also provide proper clothes.

• Like 1

I think your idea of showcasing clothing suitable for the "over 40 set"  avatars is interesting,  but might I suggest you start a blog to do this..  that way you can showcase as many items as you want to, and in turn only those who are interested need read it.  Not all folks who are over 40 in RL want to use an avatar that looks as old as they really are.  Many of us enjoy being eternally young, and beautiful,  enjoying a wide variety of clothing styles.  I make much of my own clothing, but sometimes will buy something from another creator, keeping the economy going.  So personally I don't need a list of stores or a load of pictures of someone's outfits..  But as I said starting a blog for this purpose seems to me like the ideal thing for you to do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

but might I suggest you start a blog to do this..  that way you can showcase as many items as you want to, and in turn only those who are interested need read it.

She doesn't need to start a blog for that, a forum thread is also "a way to showcase items she wants to and in turn only those who are interested can read it."

• Like 2

To clarify I started this thread becuase I've seen other people say they can't find things that would work for them. So I thought other people could post about where they shop and how to put things together. ESPECIALLY since everyone has a different idea of how they want to look if their avatar is mature.

I am not actually doing this for myself, I don't really attribute any age to my avatar and just dress however I want. I'm not saying anyone should dress this way. I am terrible at naming things and naming a thread:

Fashion and Appearance Resources for People Who want their Avatars to look mature (over 40) or to find modest dress - Please share your ideas

Was too damn long of a name.

As for those outfits don't look like what a woman in their 40s would wear. I would wear them and in real life I'm almost 47 but not everyone who is 47 would. I didn't make an avatar with lines or wrinkles on their face because I don't have a good way to do that with mine since it's not something I want to do. Also I routinely get mistaken for being much younger than I am IRL so if I DID want to make an avatar that looked exactly like my RL self I would 1) not have any actual wrinkles but just some fine lines 2) have the avatar with a asymetrical undercut pixie (my RL hair cut) and 3) have sneakers or boots, a pair of skinny jeans and a graphic t shirt since that's what I wear IRL. Also I wouldn't wear make up because I don't wear make up.

I actually pulled inspiration for the first look from women I know my age.

In conclusion if anyone wants to contribute and help people get ideas for how they can make their avatar look older if they so chose awesome especially if you feel you can pull together  looks that are more diverse and show a range of what someone would like to look like. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Honestly... for my liking, neither of those two looks remotely come close to the air of a 40 years old woman. Perhaps in total of both their ages added together, but well...

Yes, the mentioned store does have nicely casual, neutral pieces which can easily work for more serious and/or older looks. Those shown probably aren't the best example.

Nonetheless... Coco, Valentina E., Belle Epoque, some erratic, PixieMode. !APHORISM! and so on can also provide proper clothes.

So this is the kind of idea I wanted people to do - add places for people to shop. Personally I was going to add a post later with a few more places. I had seen Valentina E at Fameshed and so was going to mention it even though it is not my style in RL or SL.

Being in your 40s doesn't imply you have to wear in a specific ways, it's up to one's personal style. I have many friends my age, and we all wear in totally different ways.

I guess Milly's point was about offering some alternatives to those who don't want to wear as a 20s girl, in a more mature llok.

I agree with @Lillith Hapmouche, COCO and Valentina create great designs for women, trendy and sexy, without revealing 99% of your body. I've also been wearing Aleutia lately, Dead Dollz Siss Boom, and found great boho pieces at Petite Mort (her clothes apply to any age)

It also a question of how you mix up things. I have some ultra mini dresses I love, that I wear with some leggins and blazier, and look amazing

• Like 2

I don't really dress like this in SL so I don't want to invest my SL resources into a blog. Otherwise it would be a blog or me wearing demo clothes or skins.

If people are looking for a more mature skin LAQ is a good place. They have the mesh head that is specifically made to be older....like 60s. But there are some of their  older system skins that would work for those who don't do mesh or want to try the skins as BOM with their own mesh head. One that is the same age range and another that looks 40s or 50s. 

Izzie's has a skin more suited for elderly, I would peg it as 70s or 80s. It is pre mesh body but also comes with a shape. Izzie's also has appliers for several heads for wrinkles and to make eyebrows grey etc so that someone can vary how old their avatar looks.

Sb@tch is known for club and goth wear but there are some pieces there that have long skirts or is more covered you have to hunt around.

At Fameshed this round Tres Blah has a midi skirt. I think they may have some longer skirts and more every day not low cut clothes.

Alaskmetro recently redid her skins and they look maybe not 40s but more mature than others. She also  has a small selection of clothes like a longer pencil skirt. 

Thank you for starting this thread @MillyWH !

The advantage of a forum thread over a blog is that it is easier to create a conversation and see inspiration from different sources. It is also less expensive if many people contribute their pictures and ideas. I know I don't have the energy or financial resources to run a 40+ fashion blog, I don't even like shopping that much, I just want to look nice!

To be clear, avatars with aged 40+ 'typists' can dress any ages that they like, it's part of the freedom of SL. However, it is much harder to filter out and find stylish outfits for those who want to either look their age, or age up for role play etc. 

The Maitreya BOM update gave me inspiration to try some of @MillyWH's ideas with my existing wardrobe, the only new item I bought is the Dream hair from Lamb. The cardigan came from Neve, and the pants and boots from Tetra. I think the vest top was a freebie.

update rasp_001.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Thank you for starting this thread @MillyWHtars with aged 40+ 'typists' can dress any ages that they like, it's part of the freedom of SL. However, it is much harder to filter out and find stylish outfits for those who want to either look their age, or age up for role play etc 

The Maitreya BOM update gave me inspiration to try some of @MillyWHs ideas with my existing wardrobe, the only new item I bought is the Dream hair from Lamb. The cardigan came from Neve, and the pants and boots from Tetra. I think the vest top was a freebie.

update rasp_001.jpg

You look great!

I was playing around with the new body as well and the BOM add ons help reduce the painted on look for clothes so that will help with appliers.

• Like 1

I went shopping at Neve today, on the suggestion of some from this thread and others, and came up with the outfit below.  It's the Chaos leggings with Rabble top, and although it may not be everyone's idea of how a "mature" woman might dress, I have to admit that RL my standard outfit is, basically, leggings and a tunic top... so yes, I'd totally wear this RL, and I'll be 50 in April.  Neve has several other outfits that can be construed as more "mature" fashion-wise (I have to say that descriptor varies wildly depending on who's using it), and I'm sure others do as well.

Ajay Neve Outfit Chaos Legging Rabble Top_001.Edited.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.