Why A Limit on the Ban List?

benjizerodevos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It makes no sense to have a limit on the ban list because some clubs on Second Life are trying to help each other out with keeping certain people out from causing any harm to people. And there is a huge Blacklist that will not fit into the ban list because of the limit of 300 or 500. Why not make it to where the ban list is unlimited because of people making alternate accounts? With the ban list being limited, if it gets full it can give newer comers after an advantage to harm people with that ability to ban the person being kept from being able to keep someone from harming one another. Especially with how the block list is limited. Linden Labs should make the block list and ban list unlimited because there are possibilities for those lists to be filled quickly to some people and it's not good to have features not fully support someone enjoying what they pay for as far as renting a place on Second Life. This defeats the purpose of having a club or hangout on Second Life, so I'm no longer keeping my hangout on it. Until further notice, I hope Linden Labs reconsider fixing that problem.

• Haha 2

6 answers to this question

I have been around in Second Life for quite a while and have owned several venues. Ranging from clubs, shops, residential community etc. I have never had any issue that i ran out of space in my banlists. My venues were never overrun by lots of griefers or other unpleasant people. Yes, of course we had the occasional person griefing or misbehaving but never so many that it filled up the banlist. I do know that it is common practice for club owners to warn each other of potential griefers or otherwise people that misbehaved but in most cases it turns out it is usually people that didn't agree with their ego or there was some other reason they didn't like them. That usually was enough grounds to declare someone persona non grata and tell other venue owners to ban them. Don't buy into mass hysteria, run your own place and ban if you encounter issues. That is usually the best way to go.

11 hours ago, benjizerodevos said:

It makes no sense to have a limit on the ban list because some clubs on Second Life are trying to help each other out with keeping certain people out from causing any harm to people.

If you adding names to a ban list based on hearsay, you're part of the problem, not the solution because you're doing it absolutely wrong. Based on that attitude I'll just go ahead and presume my name will be added to that list based on this very comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's for your own protection.  You see, some people are so easily annoyed that they would ban everyone.  Soon, their Second Life world would be empty, and they would be all alone.  Human beings, even antisocial ones, cannot remain healthy in solitude.  Soon, these people would go insane and have to be institutionalized.

So be thankful that LL is looking out for your sanity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Answers area is where we try to answer resident questions about how SL works (or occasionally, why it doesn't).  We have no special insight into policy questions.

This is a resident to resident forum.  Lindens rarely come here and never answer policy questions.  If you have a suggestion for a feature upgrade, submit a Support Case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.