Traps?

MissBegotten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

Ya'll don't seem to understand what's happening. This isn't a lag issue. I've had it happen when I'm one of about 3 avis on a sim. I can be walking along without any problem and suddenly get sucked (moved, snapped like i'm on a rubber band) to a particular spot that is the same every time it happens no matter where i am when it starts. once i'm there I can still control my avi (turn left and right, sit, stand etc) but i cannot leave from the spot i've been drawn to. like i'm surrounded by an invisible wall.

Sounds a good bit like the age old problem us ancient oldbies called rubberbanding back in the day. Rubberbanding is caused by lag. The lag may not necessarily be on your end.

Does it happen when you are on a different viewer then your usual? 

In order to eliminate as many lag possibilites as... well... possible, give these things a try https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_lag_troubleshooting

And if nothing on that pages helps, then you can look at other possibilities. That's how troubleshooting works. Process of elimination. Eliminate the obvious first.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

Ya'll don't seem to understand what's happening. This isn't a lag issue. I've had it happen when I'm one of about 3 avis on a sim. I can be walking along without any problem and suddenly get sucked (moved, snapped like i'm on a rubber band) to a particular spot that is the same every time it happens no matter where i am when it starts. once i'm there I can still control my avi (turn left and right, sit, stand etc) but i cannot leave from the spot i've been drawn to. like i'm surrounded by an invisible wall.

its a glitch or bug  what ever you want to call it and had happened to me , I was told log out then  when you  log back in  walk around your home to see if the same thing happens , If it does  put on your original avi   the one you started second life in    walk  around the inside of your home again ,,, if all is well its something from the outfit  or hair or body part  on the avi  ,,, for me it was hair ,,,, i just had to rez  new one ,,sometines the scripts in clothes hair  shoes get weird  ,,,, it no matter what you try if  it still happens file  support ticket or support chat ,,,, hope all goes well ,,,, hugs   note i went item  by item as i redressed my avi ,,, the skin first ,,, take the walk   and as i tiem by item redressed her  when i put on the hair   bingo  ,,,, so i went to inventory got that hair rezed a new one and all ok ,,,,, it also happened with shoes ,,,,  

Edited by roseelvira
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roseelvira said:

its a glitch or bug  what ever you want to call it and had happened to me , I was told log out then  when you  log back in  walk around your home to see if the same thing happens , If it does  put on your original avi   the one you started second life in    walk  around the inside of your home again ,,, if all is well its something from the outfit  or hair or body part  on the avi  ,,, for me it was hair ,,,, i just had to rez  new one ,,sometines the scripts in clothes hair  shoes get weird  ,,,, it no matter what you try if  it still happens file  support ticket or support chat ,,,, hope all goes well ,,,, hugs   note i went item  by item as i redressed my avi ,,, the skin first ,,, take the walk   and as i tiem by item redressed her  when i put on the hair   bingo  ,,,, so i went to inventory got that hair rezed a new one and all ok ,,,,, it also happened with shoes ,,,,  

I think you are talking about bake fails which are not the same thing as rubberbanding. Bake fail fixes won't work for rubberbanding. There's no connection between the two.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

Okay so I just wanted to check in and report that I've been experiencing the same issue. I've tried BOTH LL viewer and Firestorm [no RLV here] with a bunch of different avatars and I can TP a few places, but after a while, I just get STUCK.

Is there any way to fix rubberbanding?

Edited by FinickyDollop

1 hour ago, FinickyDollop said:

Okay so I just wanted to check in and report that I've been experiencing the same issue. I've tried BOTH LL viewer and Firestorm [no RLV here] with a bunch of different avatars and I can TP a few places, but after a while, I just get STUCK.

Is there any way to fix rubberbanding?

Personally, I do not know of any particular fix as lag is not always on your side.

I have been reading about lag for a few days and there are a few things I have gathered which I did not know about.

1)  Turn off all programs running in the background when you are on SL.  Such as photoshop or whatever else IF you are going to be on a sim with a lot of avi's or even visit a Haunted House for Halloween which those can be lag intense due to a lot scripts running.

2)  Turn off particles.

3)  Uncheck property lines.  Not sure what that will do exactly.  

The link below explains more BUT sometimes lag is not on your end...it's in the sim itself or it's network connection...it could even be your machine has been running too long (over-heating).

4)  Keep your draw distance down to 64 as Selene suggested in another thread.  

When I'm lagging badly I take my LOD down to 2, set flexiprims to 0 and lower a bunch of other things under the PREFERENCE > General area.  Then, log out and log back in to the laggy place with LAST LOCATION and my lag seems to have lessened greatly.  Best to lower your draw distance to 64 too.  

What the OP explained is something I have experienced and it was lag for me I am pretty sure, not 100% sure...but pretty sure.  

And, she said it happened at Freebie Galaxy...it happened at Freebie Galaxy to me too...so I stopped going there.  It's nuts trying to move there and it does kind of throw you me back to one spot.  

Here is a link about lag:  

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_lag_troubleshooting

Edited by FairreLilette

What happened to was nothing like lag. Lag doesn't jerk you across a sim and plant you someplace.

What was happening to me was exactly like I'd used a follower on some spot in the sim. I'd be pulled there quickly then couldn't move away. I could tp to another place without any troubles. but, if I went back, I'd be pulled to the same spot again.  I still think it's some kind of spell or combat HUD someone was testing out on me or maybe using on me because of a game I'm involved in.

I was hoping someone in the forums would know more about such things but it seems ya'll know about as much as much as I do.

49 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The same link I posted 3 posts above yours. lol

Oh yes, I did mean to say...there is a link above in Selene's post and then I was going to re-paste the link.

It was a long post because there were a few things I found out about lag from blogs that weren't in the LL ones.

One is turning off all programs except SL, and the other was uncheck property lines (this one I am not sure what it would do though).

The turn off particles is in the link Selene provided first above...which I have never tried before.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

This is the kind of thing I think was at work on me.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SALE-Emerald-HUD-Spell-Combat-HUD/1139224

On reading the reviews on that it is for role play and you have to have rez rights to use the thing.

I cannot comment if a sim owner is using any, but I highly doubt it.  Sim owners or people with rez rights want people on their land and to be able to move around, not trapped.

Unless it were for a Haunted House or something.

You need to contact LL via a ticket so they can see who was around you at the time you experienced this.  You need to let LL know the sims you were on, etc.  

35 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

If it should happen to you again, use "help - bumps and pushes" and see if there is a record of you being pushed by a scripted object. 

I checked mine - it says none.  That is why I suspected it is/was lag because I have had a few experiences similar to the OP.    

I've had it happen on very busy sims.  It's bizarre but I think it's a type of lag.

And to the OP again:

What I am trying to say is those SPELL Hud's are for roleplay sims where the group has rez rights and then they can play combat/spell roleplay or whatever.  Most of us only have rez rights where we rent though on roleplay sims the owner of the sim/land can set ALLOW GROUP MEMBERS TO REZ.  Sandboxes are set this way:  Allow group members to rez.  This is why many go premium...more likely to have grief-free sandboxes because you have to pay for Premium and there are sandboxes for Premium members only.  

Edited by FairreLilette

55 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

Lag doesn't jerk you across a sim and plant you someplace.

Yes it, does, if it's network lag.

Your computer is having trouble maintaining its connection to the region of Second Life that your avatar is in. You are momentarily disconnecting, and when your connection is re-established, it realises that your avatar is not where it's supposed to be, so it snaps you back to the point you were at when connection was lost.

This may be a problem between your computer and the router, or it may be that your internet service provider is having issues, it may be a fault somewhere down the pipeline between your house and San Francisco. Or it may be that the region itself is experiencing issues and needs a re-start.

The only one of these things that you can influence directly is the first. Re-start your router to begin with, if you haven't done so since the fault began. If you're on a wireless connection, get an ethernet cable and plug into your router.

Failing that, the next step is to check your connection on Speedtest.net, and check your ping time to secondlife.com.

I was experiencing something similar a few years ago; it turned out to be a broken phone cable under the street about 500 yards away from my house. As soon as the phone company fixed that cable,  the network lag stopped. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

What happened to was nothing like lag. Lag doesn't jerk you across a sim and plant you someplace.

What was happening to me was exactly like I'd used a follower on some spot in the sim. I'd be pulled there quickly then couldn't move away. I could tp to another place without any troubles. but, if I went back, I'd be pulled to the same spot again.  I still think it's some kind of spell or combat HUD someone was testing out on me or maybe using on me because of a game I'm involved in.

I was hoping someone in the forums would know more about such things but it seems ya'll know about as much as much as I do.

I also say that lag can jerk you across a sim and plant you someplace.

But, if you feel that someone is griefing you...the only ones who can help are LL.  You need to report to LL where you were so they can see who was around you.  Only LL can know (maybe) 100% for sure if there was any griefer.  This is why I have suggested you report it to LL. 

See my post above regarding Spell huds and how you have to rez rights for those.  If you were on shopping sims, the people of SL do not have rez rights on those sims.  We have to go to a sandbox or to our own rental to open boxes.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.