Traps?

MissBegotten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had a strange experience a couple of times in two different places. What happens is I get sucked to a specific spot and cannot walk away in any direction. I can teleport out but, when I return, I'm sucked back to the same spot. Like I'm tied there with a rubber band.  Is there some HUD or something that can do this?  Maybe one of the spell or combat HUDs?

5 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

I've had a strange experience a couple of times in two different places. What happens is I get sucked to a specific spot and cannot walk away in any direction. I can teleport out but, when I return, I'm sucked back to the same spot. Like I'm tied there with a rubber band.  Is there some HUD or something that can do this?  Maybe one of the spell or combat HUDs?

Are you wearing a collar or something else with RLV enabled in your viewer?

ETA bigmoe was faster :)

Edited by Cindy Evanier

It’d also possible that you accidentally triggered movelock (depending on how tight the rubber band is). You can click it by selecting Avatar → Movement → Move Lock. It’ll tell you in local if it’s on or off. Obviously if it’s on after you trigger it, that wasn’t it and you’ll want to undo it by selecting the same options. 

It could also be due to a landing control that some places use to enforce entry, an arriving avatar is pushed gently to a designated spot, sometimes to clear the arrival pad for the next avatar, sometimes to make them read notices concerning entry conditions. Use Ctrl-Alt-T to examine where you are being confined to see if you are surrounded by an invisible prim.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

The last time this happened was at freebie galaxy. the other time was social island. so it isn't being pushed from a landing area.

The tightness of the rubber bans is it pulls me to the spot from about 20m. beyond 20m i can move freely, but if i get too close I'm sucked back into it.

Someone once used a spell on me that trapped me in a bubble. I'm wondering if it's something like that?

2 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

2 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

BTW... I am involved in a game where someone may want to use something like this on me. 

Things that make you go "Hmmm." :D

5 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

The last time this happened was at freebie galaxy. the other time was social island. so it isn't being pushed from a landing area.

The tightness of the rubber bans is it pulls me to the spot from about 20m. beyond 20m i can move freely, but if i get too close I'm sucked back into it.

Someone once used a spell on me that trapped me in a bubble. I'm wondering if it's something like that?

Those two are busy places plus tons of stuff rezzed.  The Free Dove is not quite as laggy and has free stuff.

I can't stand Freebie Galaxy...it's too laggy for me.

Lower your LOD to 2; lower your draw distance to 64; lower your flexiprims to 0; log out and then log back in with LAST LOCATION at any of the places you feel are trapping you like this and see if you can rez more and move more.  It could be lag.

If it's a sim that hardly any avi's are on or you are the only avi; you could be sim griefed.  If there are a lot of avi's, it's not fully known if it's lag or not YET.    

Edited by FairreLilette

"experiences" can do this too. Check to see what experiences you have approved.

In Firestorm that's under the top right menu: Avatar -> Experiences -> Allowed tab.

Everyone will have 'Social Island' there. We should all have 'AVsitter' as well but it's not actually common (having it makes furniture props work without having to go through clicks / menus.

Other things there should all look familiar to you, and if not, click them and choose 'forget'.

You can also check the 'Events' tab to see what experiences have done things to you, and when - and again everything in there should look like some event you remember and found acceptable or you need to 'forget' one or more of your experiences.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

Have you tried to stop all animations? Maybe you're stuck in something, in some weird, only-in-sl kinda way. I've had weird things like that happen when an animation just won't stop or won't let go, so I continue the animation when I move, tp etc..and sometimes it actually does move my av like I got sucked up by a vacuum to one spot (I can't explain this, but I think you understand what I mean, since you're experiencing it, lol)

I believe it is up top, under avatar, then avatar health and stop all animations. I wouldn't use one of those "this item stops all animations" things that exists on the grid, because I have found they're rather hit or miss and don't always work.

I know you said you aren't wearing anything you haven't bought for yourself, but that doesn't answer whether or not RLVa is on or off, if it's off, then obviously it's not that, lol but if it's on, it could be something you did buy for yourself, but someone else is able to control (I am not well versed in RLVa, someone else will  correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you always have to give others permission, once you enable it, it's enabled in your viewer, I think maybe only specific items need to ask your permission). 

Ya'll don't seem to understand what's happening. This isn't a lag issue. I've had it happen when I'm one of about 3 avis on a sim. I can be walking along without any problem and suddenly get sucked (moved, snapped like i'm on a rubber band) to a particular spot that is the same every time it happens no matter where i am when it starts. once i'm there I can still control my avi (turn left and right, sit, stand etc) but i cannot leave from the spot i've been drawn to. like i'm surrounded by an invisible wall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

Ya'll don't seem to understand what's happening. This isn't a lag issue. I've had it happen when I'm one of about 3 avis on a sim. I can be walking along without any problem and suddenly get sucked (moved, snapped like i'm on a rubber band) to a particular spot that is the same every time it happens no matter where i am when it starts. once i'm there I can still control my avi (turn left and right, sit, stand etc) but i cannot leave from the spot i've been drawn to. like i'm surrounded by an invisible wall.

Sounds like the answers about the collar 'may be' possible even if you bought it yourself as you stated you buy all your items AND something else is controlling it.  It does sound like something is controlling you. 

You can submit a ticket to LL and ask for support.  There is no way for a lot of us to know when we do not know what you are wearing, etc.  Did you change your outfit? 

If it were me, I'd take everything off and contact LL about it.   

Come to think of it, I have been experiencing odd jerky pulls to my avatar when dancing the past couple of days and I had to use STOP ANIMATIONS several times and I've never had to do that before.

Is it possible because of Halloween things could be a little peculiar this time of year?

I'm just wondering because I sure hope not!  0.0  

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Sounds like the answers about the collar 'may be' possible even if you bought it yourself as you stated you buy all your items AND something else is controlling it.  It does sound like something is controlling you. 

You can submit a ticket to LL and ask for support.  There is no way for a lot of us to know when we do not know what you are wearing, etc.  Did you change your outfit? 

If it were me, I'd take everything off and contact LL about it.   

I don't own any kind of collar.

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

An RLV relay device does not have to look like a collar.

Assuming you are using Firestorm:  Go to Preferences > Extras tab.  See if the RLVa check box is checked.  If so, un-check it, then exit SL and re-log.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/_detail/firestorm_enable_rlva_preferences.png?id=fs_rlva_quick_setup

1 hour ago, MissBegotten said:

I don't own any kind of collar.

Lindal is right, it doesn't have to look like a collar.

That is why I suggesed taking everything off.  Make a notecard of the items you have on may help also.

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

An RLV relay device does not have to look like a collar.

Assuming you are using Firestorm:  Go to Preferences > Extras tab.  See if the RLVa check box is checked.  If so, un-check it, then exit SL and re-log.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/_detail/firestorm_enable_rlva_preferences.png?id=fs_rlva_quick_setup

not checked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.