Geez...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are the min requirements these days ?

I haven't logged in for like 3 years ... but now can't even walk around our land .... ok was using umm :

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Used to be fine on local land ... now can't do anything ....

There have been some server side issues today that may have something to do with it. SL runs just fine for me on this:

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

26 minutes ago, Adec Alexandria said:

yeah its also been so many years it just occurred to me is there an SL cache setting ? ... maybe clear out old SL stuff.... 

Will try on a newer MacBook Air too 

There's always a cache. If you're logging in with the same cache you had 3 years ago then yes you should clear cache. No telling what all has become corrupted in that amount of time. 

This should help:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_cache_clear

5 hours ago, Adec Alexandria said:

I have been able to get by fine in SL with such a machine as long as I kept Advanced Lighting off and draw distance at around 64 m.

The biggest factor in things getting slower in SL over the past years is the increasing number of mesh triangles and 1024-textures, especially from the increasing use of elaborate clothing, hair and furniture with drapes. Merchants aren't ashamed anymore to sell a chair with LI=14 and 8 scripts for sitting. (I'm not even exaggerating. Eight scripts is the average for furniture in a present-day sales event.)

My 2012 iMac's graphics card failed (same specs as the OP's) and fixing it required replacing the entire mother board, because the card was soldered onto it. That's when I decided to go gaming PC instead, after using Apple computers for 30 years. It's not cheaper per se if you want high-end graphics cards, and it's not easier either, but it sure as hell is a LOT faster.

18 hours ago, Adec Alexandria said:

What are the min requirements these days ?

I haven't logged in for like 3 years ... but now can't even walk around our land .... ok was using umm :

Model Name: iMac

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Used to be fine on local land ... now can't do anything ....

CPU is fine what about your GPU? if your using integrated graphics from the CPU instead you will see reduced performance..adjust viewer settings or try a different viewer http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

12 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

CPU is fine what about your GPU? if your using integrated graphics from the CPU instead you will see reduced performance..adjust viewer settings or try a different viewer http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

It should be playable, either a GT 650m or HD 4000, both would handle SL without too much issue. The cpu being an i7 3770S, while not amazing in 2019, is still a good processor for single core performance which SL prefers.

13B88D40-B2D8-41DC-AFEA-5AF52C6C7DC6.thumb.png.7e786c83205bc265225ec66ee45ee021.png

The game might be using HD 4000 instead of the GT 650m, OP might want to look into that in the viewer “about” information window to be sure. 
But it’s also probably just time for a full cleanup and general PC tune up. Completely uninstall the viewer, clear the cache out first, then reinstall. Along with just generally going through the machine to make sure it’s running as it should without any weird background processes or anything eating up resources.

Being that it’s from 2012 and it’s an iMac, it is 100% time to either take it apart for maintenance or bring it someone who can if you don’t feel comfortable taking it apart yourself. 6-8 years is about the lifespan of most metallic based thermal compound and along with just getting any dust out of the system, replacing thermal compound on that machine for the cpu and gpu is a must for the sake of safe thermals. Most PC repair places do it pretty cheap but those 2012 models aren’t the most difficult to service yourself if you follow an ifixit guide or something.

edit: also to note on just running an old machine like this, having your drive cloned to a modern SSD and swapping it out for the relatively slow 5400rpm hard drive will drastically increase performance on that hardware, especially for a cache heavy game like SecondLife.

Edited by cheesecurd
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.