Major Issue: Server Update May 11 renders 100% of inventory missing from database

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are currently experiencing issues with some of our central services, which may cause issues with L$ purchases, inventory, teleporting, login failures, and region availability. Please refrain from L$ transactions or rezzing no-copy items until this issue is resolved.  Our network team is working on this issue, and expects to have it resolved soon. Please watch this blog for further information.

If this is a network issue, a rollback will not make a difference.

Add my name to the list - just logged with an alt and it seems that her inventory has been decimated - no shape, skin, eyes, etc, etc, etc....who do I speak to to get all my money back?? I'm going to check with Carole whose inventory is even bigger, the loss of which would be even more shocking.

It would be nice to get some feedback immediately from someone at LL as it's pretty clear this is an extensive and pretty dramatic issue as at the moment it's pretty reasonable for all those affected (could be all of us, as far as I know) to want reassurance that the problem is just temporary.

PS Just spotted a group chat FULL to bursting with reports of missing objects and ruthed avies.

Ol Joe musta spilled his morning coffee on the server again...pathetic

When im seeing all my work "missing"...yea i get upset....since no one ever has straight answers until AFTER the problem is fixed we are left to do nothing but speculate. 

Be more informative sooner and you probably wont have your CUSTOMERS complaining. 

Why is it no one thinks about logging all Residents out and work on things as Linden Labs used to do? things DID work more smoothly. How many times do residents have to buy the things a server ate before Linden Labs either refunds the L or finds it and returns things back to your INVENTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

asset server != region server

region server got updated, asset servers did not

asset servers were having connection problems NOT software problems

when whining, it helps to whine about the right thing... if for no other reason than so you don't look foolish

Ok, it seems the asset server starts to work again, I got my skin and shape back and a part of my outfit - I really hope that they fixed the issue with the asset servers that we have again our Inventories.

I am also able to rezz something (tried it with an item I created myself so .. full perm) and it worked also.

A change of clothes and adding weapons (for RP) worked, only thing that didnt want to be attached was one hud ... and it tells me it cant be attached for "unknown reason"

Means, still some issues but it goes forward

Thank you Linden.

Alannah

Void Singer is right. This issue was unrelated to this mornings update to the simulator code. The centrals services that do all the region coordinating and communicating to things like the asset servers started failing. 

I appreciate everyone's passion for Second Life and I know how much this place means to you. When it comes to reporting issues like this raw emotion doesn't help us. I don't need to know how much L$ your inventory is worth. Telling me how upset you are won't help us diagnose the issues. What really helps is a calm description of the steps you have done to reproduce an issue with specific information about where the bugs are occurring. This means going to Help -> About Second Life and including server and viewer versions in your report.

__Oskar

Oskar Linden wrote:

Void Singer is right. This issue was unrelated to this mornings update to the simulator code. The centrals services that do all the region coordinating and communicating to things like the asset servers started failing. 

I appreciate everyone's passion for Second Life and I know how much this place means to you. When it comes to reporting issues like this raw emotion doesn't help us. I don't need to know how much L$ your inventory is worth. Telling me how upset you are won't help us diagnose the issues. What really helps is a calm description of the steps you have done to reproduce an issue with specific information about where the bugs are occurring. This means going to Help -> About Second Life and including server and viewer versions in your report.

__Oskar

You may not be interested in how much each of our inventories are worth but the simple fact remains that for many of us, it has less to do with "raw emotions" and "passion" and more to do with the simple fact some (most) of us have, over the years, spent a great deal of money in SL and I think we're all very well aware that we would have no come-back if our inventories did ever go "poof". Even when it's one single item (which has happened several times to me), it's rather irritating (rather like buying a newspaper in rl and have the wind blow it out of your hand and into a puddle) - the concern I personally have when I log and nothing rezzes and my inventory appears totally or mostly empty is that the dreaded day has come and I've lost the hundreds of US dollars worth of material I've bought here. In my case, that's akin to turning on my $2,000 TV and discovering it simply won't work. Aren't I justified in being a tad anxious?

In the three years I've been here, although I've heard of inventories going missing, this is the first time it's occurred to me. I'll repeat what I said earlier - a simple, short communication from your company informing us that you're aware of the service being malfunctioning and reassuring us that it's being looked at would be a reasonable-to-expect PR gesture. If you require extra information from your clients to solve the problem more quickly - then that's even more reason to dash in here and request the specific information you need. I'm not a VR technician - I've no idea what useful information I can supply you unless you tell me. I'm sure we'd all be only to happy to collaborate in finding a solution to the problem. Being told to stop being sniveling big girlies is not the way, however, to create warm and fuzzy customer relations.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

[...] I'll repeat what I said earlier - a simple, short communication from your company informing us that you're aware of the service being malfunctioning and reassuring us that it's being looked at would be a reasonable-to-expect PR gesture.[...]

ya mean like the one on grid status linked multiple times above? what? just saying....

@Oskar:
I appreciate the nod, but Cerise actually called it before I got to it... I just reiterated for the person who hadn't read the previous two posts identifying it.

Void Singer wrote:

Carole Franizzi wrote:

[...] I'll repeat what I said earlier - a simple, short communication from your company informing us that you're aware of the service being malfunctioning and reassuring us that it's being looked at would be a reasonable-to-expect PR gesture.[...]

ya mean like the one on grid status linked multiple times above? what? just saying....

@Oskar:

I appreciate the nod, but Cerise actually called it before I got to it... I just reiterated for the person who hadn't read the previous two posts identifying it.

On the grid status page there was no mention of inventories appearing empty - none of the multiple times i checked it. But don't let that stop you fawning over LL's WONDERFUL customer service and comminications skills....

Acheron Gloom wrote:

Yes, because Oskar totally said to stop being sniveling big girlies. Wait, he didn't.

It must be great being a clerk or a technician at LL. In what other company would you get a fan club??

ADDED - Actually, he said much worse. I found his attitude appalling.

Placing a request in the forum to have the Lab roll back an update is non-productive. Filing a trouble ticket is more likely to have an effect.

However, the response here shows that the problem is wide spread.

To see if the Lab knows what is going on check:

Second Life Grid Status Reports »

In this case the problem was found and has since been fixed. See: RESOLVED] Asset and Region Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.