How many novels have you written?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't think you can completely avoid being taken the wrong way. After decades of trying to appear more approachable, some people still find me intimidating. But that means some people don't!

Well no, you can't avoid it all the time but it's gotten to be way too frequently. Especially with people I see in RL every day.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to crawl back under my rock again. Only this time I won't be coming back out. I can't keep doing this decade after decade. People won't accept me as I am and they won't accept me as what they want me to be so... I'm about to run out of plank.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As a submissive, I love a smart, strong woman. I just need someone to tell me what’s going on, and where to sit so I won’t bother anyone.

*points with chin to the Group W bench...

... sets you on fire

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1

Except in terms of word count, which compares our output only to what a small army of moneys at typewriters can create, the stuff in the forums can't be compared to honest-to-goodness creative writing.  Certainly not novels. 

I have no idea how many words I have typed in the forums in the past 12+ years, but it's a lot.  On the other hand, I published two textbooks, edited a couple of collections, and wrote book chapters and technical articles for over almost 40 years.  The forums may still win in word count and almost certainly in terms of how many people actually read them, but in terms of "advancement of knowledge" or "lasting impact," my bet is on the real writing.  ( I've always dreamed of writing a novel, though.  Some day .... )

• Like 2

There was a study, which concluded that in one to one conversations, not much listening goes on, because the listener is working on what to say next.

My mother is good at this and her ultimate giveaway is when she says a short "yeah" and immediately flips the subject.

At the risk of a double digression... what really peeves me is when the listener lip synchs my words, or tries to join in by anticipating what I'm about to say...

When this happens, I can't resist a word swerve by adding a ridiculous out of context word haha!

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

what really peeves me is when the listener lip synchs my words, or tries to join in by anticipating what I'm about to say...

People do this "mouthing" to aid in their comprehension. My emergency backup mom does this when she's tired and Mom started doing it a little after she had a stroke. I once worked with a fella who, late in the day, would do this so severely that I had some difficulty conversing with him. The next time this happens to you, look at the mimic's eyes. They're probably watching your lips to aid comprehension, and that's driving their mirroring. You'll also find yourself watching their lips and being distracted by it because lip-reading someone who's mimicking you requires activating speech recognition mechanisms we normally suppress while speaking.

We all try to anticipate what other people are going to say, but know enough not to verbalize or mouth it... unless you are me. If you are me, then you are not only trying to anticipate what's coming, but are spontaneously generating segues that will completely change the meaning of what they're trying to say. If the other party pauses long enough while searching for the next word or thought, you'll have the urge to blurt out your spontaneous nonsensical alternative. If you are me, you will not resist that urge.

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

When this happens, I can't resist a word swerve by adding a riduculous out of context word haha!

There you go. We are each other.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.