how to make jewelry shine

deplove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I hope you can advise me. For a while I started to create jewels, no mesh, with the prims that allow me second life (cube, cylinder, bull etc.) and I didn't believe it but it will be for the low impact, the low cost and the detailed textures, they asked to sell in my furniture store. Now I wish they had a glow or glint, but not like those flashes of light as in old accessories, which shoot beams of light, but a delicate glint that stands out on the stones. I am attaching some photos. When I open the texture it shines like the original, but when I resize it and put it on the prim it becomes opaque. I already know that in the editing tool I can add full light and glow but it's not what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me ? do i need a script?
thank you
Adriana

abracelet ruby_002.png

Adri Parure emerald.png

23 minutes ago, deplove said:

I am attaching some photos. When I open the texture it shines like the original, but when I resize it and put it on the prim it becomes opaque.

That may be because the texture resolution is too high. Even a small 256x256 texture will have far more pixels than than there is usually room for on the screen for something as small as a piece of jewelry. That means the viewer has to scale the texture down and with a combination of transparent and opaque pixels that is likely to that kind of problems.

34 minutes ago, deplove said:

Now I wish they had a glow or glint, but not like those flashes of light as in old accessories, which shoot beams of light, but a delicate glint that stands out on the stones. I am attaching some photos.

All jewelry with realistic glittering I've seen have used the bad old bling effect. With bling you can adjust the particle parameters to get anything from a barely noticeable effect to a veritable fireworks display. The trick is simply to not overdo it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That may be because the texture resolution is too high. Even a small 256x256 texture will have far more pixels than than there is usually room for on the screen for something as small as a piece of jewelry. That means the viewer has to scale the texture down and with a combination of transparent and opaque pixels that is likely to that kind of problems.

All jewelry with realistic glittering I've seen have used the bad old bling effect. With bling you can adjust the particle parameters to get anything from a barely noticeable effect to a veritable fireworks display. The trick is simply to not overdo it.

Thanks Chin, you were very kind to give me advice, so you think I should look for a Bling script to include in the jewel prims? the problem is that i don't know how to adjust ... the bling effect, i'm already crazy with the scripts to sit ... imagine now create a bling effect. I will see on MP if I find something, in truth something I have found and it also costs a lot, but the problem is that as long as you don't buy it you don't know what it will be. Let me know what you think.

Adri, if you like see what i do in sl , find me in MP like Adri De Luxe, when you see a lot of cabinet, consoles and lamps is Me  :) 🤩 bling bling ehehe

17 hours ago, Mollymews said:

deplove, is not clear from the text of the OP if you are using Normal and Specular textures on the prim surfaces. You may be tho, but if not this article may help you

oh my dear, thank you thank you, I have what I wanted, now my creations are much more beautiful, I used to specular and stand out both the stones and the metals ... thanks again, here is how clear Pantera earrings are now, they have a very low impact and cost too, come to visit my shop if you like, find me as Adri De Luxe , ciao

orecchini pantera_001.png

Edited by deplove
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deplove said:

oh my dear, thank you thank you, I have what I wanted, now my creations are much more beautiful, I used to speculate and stand out both the stones and the metals ... thanks again, here is how clear Pantera earrings are now, they have a very low impact and cost too, come to visit my shop if you like, find me as Adri De Luxe , ciao

orecchini pantera_001.png

Keep in mind that not everyone will see your items with normal and specular  -- only those with Advanced lighting enabled will, so good to to look and see what those with lower graphics settings will see. IF you have demos out then folks will be able to know how the items will look to them (or those with lower settings) Always good.  

image.thumb.png.3331c9e68abe220712cebcbf2dea469a.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Keep in mind that not everyone will see your items with normal and specular  -- only those with Advanced lighting enabled will, so good to to look and see what those with lower graphics settings will see. IF you have demos out then folks will be able to know how the items will look to them (or those with lower settings) Always good.  

image.thumb.png.3331c9e68abe220712cebcbf2dea469a.png

thank you Chic for suggest me, I added this advice in the description of the object. I'm grateful ... for letting me know

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Or just mention on your product pictures that "for best results advanced lighting is recommended"

It's what I do.

thank you Kyrah is this I do now and match better , last of one of my creations

collier fancy diamond_002_002.png

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, deplove said:

thank you Kyrah is this I do now and match better , last of one of my creations

collier fancy diamond_002_002.png

If you feel like going the extra mile, you can create a grayscale texture (pure black being "lowest" and pure white being "highest") for your jewelry that represents the "height" of the different details and use a tools like https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ to produce a normal map, which will give the illusion of depth and can complement the effect further.

Here is a 5 minute example

firefox_2019-08-28_14-08-37.thumb.png.fe271ce7a44d1be96f19fc79f3ce6f50.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.