Will Linden Labs Ever Regulate Land Flippers?

Izzy Harcassle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Will Linden Labs ever regulate land flippers or the big real estate barons who control most of the prime parcels on mainland? I understand there's big money in SL real estate; I get it. But at the same time, I feel like many users are at a disadvantage when it comes to the mainland auctions. For example, there was an auction for a half-sim waterfront parcel in the Jeogeot Gulf, which is highly coveted by those in the SL combat community, because the Jeogeot Gulf is one of the few places on SL that allow for open rezzing, thus open combat. It is home to WW2 Central in Tulagi, and countless little strongholds and military group bases. The person who won it has put it back on the auction block for almost twice the amount they won it for. They're not even using it! Waterfront land in this area in particular, as well as the Blake Sea, is obviously high in demand. So when a parcel like this pops up in the auctions, obviously they're going to attract attention. Unfortunately, those of us who actually want to win and acquire the land in order to use it are at a disadvantage to those who only want to resell it for a higher price. What's the point of even bidding in an auction when you're going up against people who have the Lindens to spare? Especially after the new auction system where you have to have the Lindens in your account before you even bid? You could have people entering into partnerships with comrades and friends just to combine Lindens in order to acquire a coveted parcel, and still get outbid by people who don't even want to use the land themselves. Is there ever going to be a way to level out the playing field? 

it's never been different ... landauctions... art auctions, even containerwars at tv and all auction ever held ... the one with the biggest wallet wins.
Want a special piece of land? Make that you'r the highest bidder.
Or don't buy at auctions.. travel on the mainland with search open, or just look for yellow parcels. There are enough good deals, but also there, you won't get a parcel of 4096 meters if only can spend for a 2048 one.

No.  Even though land splitting is clearly against the rules, after every auction (that I always miss), the land barons come in and split the land.  I even filed a ticket, nothing happened.  I had to expand my old plot at highway robbery prices by buying split lands.

They must encourage rule-breaking considering that every auction is done after the Lindens consolidate entire regions, only to have them split again.

19 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

is it?... perhaps point me to the page?  ( i'm no landbaron or trader...flipper :) )

It is, but the interpretation is pretty subjective. (I think enforcement is pretty much limited to microparcel creation.)

Policy Prohibiting Land-Cutting

In general residents are welcome to subdivide larger parcels of land that they occupy into smaller parcels. Subdivision is considered "land cutting" when a resident extensively subdivides land into smaller parcels for the purpose of further "renting" or "selling" those parcels — and it is not allowed. Other prohibited land cutting includes subdividing land in a manner that decreases the ability of other residents to enjoy their land, collaborate and/or exercise land-management controls, or in a way that constitutes harassment of another resident. Linden reserves the right to make parcel alternations as necessary to ensure residents’ enjoyment of Second Life. We want to keep Second Life beautiful too.

We therefore may, in our sole discretion, move any parcel of land that is smaller than or equal to 128 sqm where such land is interfering with the enjoyment of a significantly larger parcel of land or region.

This was added as a follow-up to part of the adfarm policy.

What about land cutting?

There is no doubt that this is also a problem. If the removal of ad farms doesn't substantially reduce land cutting, we will look at other options.

• Like 1

Subdivision is considered "land cutting" when a resident extensively subdivides land into smaller parcels for the purpose of further "renting" or "selling" those parcels — and it is not allowed.

So like buying at auction, cutting the land, and reselling the next day.

Other prohibited land cutting includes subdividing land in a manner that decreases the ability of other residents to enjoy their land, collaborate and/or exercise land-management controls, or in a way that constitutes harassment of another resident.

Although, abandoning little strips at 384 while cutting the land is not specifically spelled out.  I had to put in a ticket to acquire that parcel.  To this day there is a random strip in the middle of town that has the abandoned language in the description.  A bit of town trivia.

But instead of getting on Linden Labs about these flippers.  I find the land "barons" to be incredibly stupid.  Don't contact the guy with the 2 miles of roads and railroad tracks that he might want a strip of land that abuts his parcel.  No try to abandon first!  Ditto for the rest of the parcels and abandoners.  Offline people would pound the pavement to sell.  Online, they're lazy.

16 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Want a special piece of land? Make that you'r the highest bidder.

You're right, but this is what I'm bringing up with this post. The land barons who have tons of cash are bidding on land they know other people want. NOT to actually use it, but to resell it for more. I'm just saying those of us who actually want the land for personal use are out of luck and at a disadvantage.

15 hours ago, Lisa006 Baxton said:

As long as the tier is being paid on it linden lab is not concerned about who owns the parcel and if it sits empty or sent right back to the auction.

Which is unfortunate, all they're doing is reinforcing the behavior in that case.

2 hours ago, Israel Schnute said:

I had to expand my old plot at highway robbery prices by buying split lands.

I have a sim in the Jeogeot Gulf. In order for boats to get out to the gulf, they need to sail through a channel. Recently abandoned parcels in this channel are being bought up and resold by land barons, blocking me in. I've had to buy two parcels just to keep access open.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.