How aggressive should Linden Lab be in converting residents to premium?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Its also down to whether you want mainland. Frankly don't want to ever have land there

Then get a region - after 150 days you'll be saving $2.23 daily compared to renting it. Or if you just want a piece of a region, grab some friends and buy one together and split the land and costs between yourselves. Your argument was that you'd rather rent land through a third party to save money - well, you don't. Land barons don't run charities (well, some of them actually do use their SL income to support charity work - but their virtual renters don't tend to be the recipients!).

40 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Then get a region - after 150 days you'll be saving $2.23 daily compared to renting it. Or if you just want a piece of a region, grab some friends and buy one together and split the land and costs between yourselves. Your argument was that you'd rather rent land through a third party to save money - well, you don't. Land barons don't run charities (well, some of them actually do use their SL income to support charity work - but their virtual renters don't tend to be the recipients!).

why would I want a region? I dont want any part of mainland and I certainly dont want the Lab as my landlord. And no where have I said I want to rent land to save money. Either link a post where I said that or retract

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Then get a region - after 150 days you'll be saving $2.23 daily compared to renting it. Or if you just want a piece of a region, grab some friends and buy one together and split the land and costs between yourselves.

Full region is quite pricy for the most people. Now if LL were offering homesteads as is, without need to own the full region first, it could be a bit different. But I got a feeling that big land barons are one of the reasons why LL don't do this. They (barons) tend to keep regions up, empty or full, they offer them to events, fairs, normal residental areas and everything in between, but tier always gets paid. Which means stable income for LL (and way bigger one than premium membership can ever be). LL are probably happy to work with such business instead of dealing with "normal people", who might want a region today and change their mind next month. But that's another topic.

And "just grab some friends and split the cost" suggestion is not very realistic in most cases. Many people don't need any kind of land at all and many others who do are happy with their LL homes sized parcels for various reasons (cheap and doesn't require a lot of work/additional resources for actually filling it with furniture, decor and landscape things). So you'd need quite a few VERY reliable friends who are interested in large parcels (well, unless you want to spend all time online being busy with managing the 64 parcels worth of tenants and payments) to even consider it or one day half of your friends/tenants will forget/won't log in time/decide they don't need it anymore and you'll end up either spending way more than you want to pay the tier, running around trying to find who else might be interested in land or just abandoning region. I think majority of people don't enjoy being "one region landlord", too much of a headache.

And yes, land barons don't run charities, but a little fee for convenience is fine. Besides big land barons do get some kind of a discount from LL, it's pretty obvious if you look at some prices they offer. On a homestead example. LL price is 109$ a month, a few big barons who are not too greedy offer homesteads for 6600L$ a week. That's roughly 111$ a month at 255LS/1$ ratio. Some are quite greedy, though, so it can be around 122$ a month instead. Which is still fine I suppose, considering all of them offering 24/7 support which includes "dealing with noobiness" service, while LL doesn't.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Everything you have mentioned the Lindens working on is for everyone. What is it you think the Lindens are working on that free members won't get? 

Hopefully nothing. And I was replying to Kyrah's suggestion about making the new "killer feature" premium only.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.