How aggressive should Linden Lab be in converting residents to premium?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Eh, I want them to have the full amount of what I put into SL specifically for them, not just a slim cut after whoever else takes theirs. 

I want them to have the full amount of what we ALL put into it, whether its our money, our creations, our services, ect.

Without which premium becomes completely worthless to everyone.

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I know I'll get shouted down and/or mocked for this, but I think it's really sad that no one thinks that paying for premium is just a nice way to pay LL for the platform they've provided us. It's all me, me, me.

LL is a business, and it would hurt me, and a lot of other people, greatly if they went out of business. Right now, I'm paying 27 cents a day for my premium account. They could quadruple it and I'd be pretty chill about it. Whatever the super premium costs, I'm already planning on upgrading not matter what the benefits are. That's not what it's about for me. It's about keeping one of my favorite businesses from shutting their doors.

#unapologeticpollyanna4lyfe

Yes ll is a business. I am a customer I pay for the service I want from them. Thinking I should give them extra because reasons....sorry no

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Eh, I want them to have the full amount of what I put into SL specifically for them, not just a slim cut after whoever else takes theirs. 

Here are the sum

private island 295$ a month

My plot 2500l$ a week 10$ 1/8 of a plot

over a year the cost of tier therefore is 3540$ for the sim

my cut would be 1/8 of that or 442.5$

I pay in rent 520$ worth 52*10

the landlord gives LL 442.5$ of that

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jermanbite said:

Yes, here are some ideas which might work

* Non-premium users should not be allowed to rename themselves inworld

* Make "Basic Resident" the default surname for new basic accounts

* Make Basics pay to TP

* Remove Basics' ability to fly and/or script

* Restrict all Basics' draw distance automatically

* Tax Basics 15% of all transactions (inworld tips, gifted money, etc)

* Add a floating tag to all Basics, saying "Saving to be a Premium!" or "One day, I'll make it!"

* Log out all Basics after 2 hours inworld

* Charge Basics 50L for a photo or 100L for an upload

* Remove Basics' ability to file ARs

* Restrict Basics to only 100 items in inventory

* Restrict Basics from posting in the forums

Wow. Someone finally managed to evoke a feeling of hatred in me. It only took 60 years.

8 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Yes ll is a business. I am a customer I pay for the service I want from them. Thinking I should give them extra because reasons....sorry no

A business that doesn't charge you to use most of the service.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Every basic that pays rent is demonstrably paying about 92% of their rent to the labs via the landlords tier. Mine works out over 30$ a month after the landlord takes his cut hardly a slim cut. The landlord's cut is maybe 4$

I was more referring to clothing, etc., but whatever. If I were renting, yeah, SL might be getting a nice little chunk from that, and has over the years. I'm STILL happy to be paying them for use of their platform and all the enjoyment I get from it above and beyond that. Would still be happy to pay four times what I'm currently playing in addition to all the lindens I spend.

You do you, and I'll do me. 

4 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

A business that doesn't charge you to use most of the service.

the lab have a 100 million revenue

the lab get 7.2 million from premiums

I think the Lab might just be getting the vast majority of their income from the rest of their service and premium is merely a nice to have

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I was more referring to clothing, etc., but whatever. If I were renting, yeah, SL might be getting a nice little chunk from that, and has over the years. I'm STILL happy to be paying them for use of their platform and all the enjoyment I get from it above and beyond that. Would still be happy to pay four times what I'm currently playing in addition to all the lindens I spend.

You do you, and I'll do me. 

#unapologeticpollyannasunite!!!

Edited by janetosilio
Can’t spell today
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

the lab have a 100 million revenue

the lab get 7.2 million from premiums

I think the Lab might just be getting the vast majority of their income from the rest of their service and premium is merely a nice to have 

You're gonna have to cite source on these numbers.

18 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Every basic that pays rent is demonstrably paying about 92% of their rent to the labs via the landlords tier. Mine works out over 30$ a month after the landlord takes his cut hardly a slim cut. The landlord's cut is maybe 4$

Maybe so but they aren't paying for the service the lab provide, they are paying for services provided by other residents. Can you see the problem?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kyrah Abattoir said:

You're gonna have to cite source on these numbers.

Maybe so but they aren't paying for the service the lab provide, they are paying for services provided by other residents. Can you see the problem?

I did earlier in the thread. And no I cant see the problem because the lab gets enough from all those other fees to make a fair profit. If all premiums disappeared the lab would still be here. If all the basics quit the lab would be in financial difficulties.

• Like 1

Just now, KanryDrago said:

I did earlier in the thread. And no I cant see the problem because the lab gets enough from all those other fees to make a fair profit. If all premiums disappeared the lab would still be here. If all the basics quit the lab would be in financial difficulties.

And as I wrote before, yet you seem to consistently ignore it, premium subscriptions are predictable income for the lab.

40 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

They already tried penalizing basics by taking away some of our groups recently. Very recently.

So... have you dropped premium yet?

No cos they dropped the stupid Idea before the implementation date, if they hadn't I would have clicked the basic button the day it came into force. I like having the extra groups but I won't take them if it means basics lose some of theirs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Gating new features and wasting dev. time making those features with "premium only" in mind is taking away from basics too. LL already are painfully slow with introducing any new features, see how long it takes them to make EEP, BoM, name change etc to happen. Bento and animesh weren't fast either. So I think it's not okay if LL spends a year+ on something "for the chosen few", while the rest get nothing, even if they invest a lot of money.

I don't see it the same...

There are few features in SL that are for Premium only. ...I actually can't think of any. Nor do I get a sense of Lindens targeting Premium users with new features when I interact with them. I am at most of the CCUG, SSUG, and BSUG meetings and the occasional Governance and Web UG meetings.

Throughout the history of SL, development of the system has been slow. Simon Linden one that has written a considerable amount of the code running in the system. His big complaint is often how much time he has to spend fixing exploits and mitigating channels of abuse. He makes no bones about projects being delayed because he is called on to put out fires.

Everything you have mentioned the Lindens working on is for everyone. What is it you think the Lindens are working on that free members won't get? 

15 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Here are the sum

private island 295$ a month

My plot 2500l$ a week 10$ 1/8 of a plot

over a year the cost of tier therefore is 3540$ for the sim

my cut would be 1/8 of that or 442.5$

I pay in rent 520$ worth 52*10

the landlord gives LL 442.5$ of that

Private region costs have dropped quite a bit from that level - the highest amount is now $229. You're paying your landlord $176.50 a year over their cost for the land you rent - nearly twice the cost of a Premium membership. Might want to have a word with them...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Private region costs have dropped quite a bit from that level - the highest amount is now $229. You're paying your landlord $176.50 a year over their cost for the land you rent - nearly twice the cost of a Premium membership. Might want to have a word with them...

When did these drop. oh yes those changes havent come in quite yet have they? When they do then I will be talking to my landlord. And what has its twice the cost of premium got to do with it when i want absolutely nothing from premium and I dont want to live on mainland

14 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

And as I wrote before, yet you seem to consistently ignore it, premium subscriptions are predictable income for the lab.

Who cares if its predictable you are an accounting blip

No premiums SL survives

No basics SL dies

simple as that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

When did these drop. oh yes those changes havent come in quite yet have they? When they do then I will be talking to my landlord. And what has its twice the cost of premium got to do with it when i want absolutely nothing from premium and I dont want to live on mainland

They came in last month, butyou are quite right, it has nothing to do with the cost of premium.

Just now, Kyrah Abattoir said:

You made your point, for what it is worth. Now can stop derailing my topic and leave?

What is derailing about answering the question and giving reasons why

In short should they get more agressive ...NO

and when you run these forums then you get to call the shots, if you dont want people posting in your threads dont start threads

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Title pretty much sums it up, how do you feel about the whole basic vs premium thing?

Should Linden Lab be more aggressive in getting basic users to upgrade?

Yes.

They should eliminate all basic accounts right here and now on the spot. Preferably using a chainsaw.

Go premium or die ! 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Actually they dropped from $295 to $249 a year ago.

https://modemworld.me/2018/07/02/looking-at-the-new-private-region-and-l-fees/

You paid your landlord almost $100 more than you thought over the past year without even realizing it. Forgive me if I don't rely on you for financial advice.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, suzyst said:

They came in last month, butyou are quite right, it has nothing to do with the cost of premium.

I thought it was august but will have a word with the landlord thanks for the tip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.