QUESTION ENQUIRING BANNED RESIDENT RETURNAL

Fiery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone can answer this. Someone i knew of a while ago was permanantly banned from Second Life on any account, due to selling copybotted items, i have recently been informed that this person is changing Internet Service Provider. Does this mean that their IP Address will be changed? And if so, does that mean they can return to SL, scot free on an alt? In relation to this question, if the answers are yes to both of the above, how will i be able to ensure this person is removed swiftly once again on their return? In short term, can someone who is permanantly banned, ever return to SL, & if this person does, what would be the appropriate thing to do?

Of course they can return, IPs change all the time so no biggie there. When someone is permabanned they are blocked by MAC address which is a bit trickier but can also be changed. The fact is, this person you're worried about has probably already been back on SL, you just don't know about it.

Unless you have proof, there's little you can do about it. And quite honestly, I don't think LL really cares as long as they behave themselves.

...Dres

They will have a new IP and they can return to SL easy enough (with a brand new av, not their old banned av).

They can have a happy normal life in Second Life.

However, if they choose to copybot again, they will most likely be instantly busted and perma-banned again.

Security is stepping up always and Lindens can detect this kind of thing fairly easily now in almost all cases.

Also, there has now been cases of successful real life prosecution from theft of virtual items so the real world law is beginning to regard this kind of thing (similar to pirating music) as a real crime so if this person does not start behaving there could be very real penalties & a criminal record waiting for them someday.

Keep in mind some content developers in Second Life can & do prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

I seriously doubt that any VW system is capable of stopping copybotting. The information has to be downloaded onto your computer and therefore has the potential to be accessed and improperly used.

I don't know anything about certificates of connection so maybe you're right about that. But that would only go towards solving the permaban issue, not copybotting. Plus, there's probably ways around that as well, if someone were so inclined to figure it out.

All that can be done is to try to make it more difficult to accomplish, which LL has taken steps to do; though, some would say, not enough.

...Dres

Yes, it is their fault if they copy-bot. Saying that if they can get away with it, then it's not their fault, is like saying if people can get away with stealing stuff in RL then, they're not responsible for that either.  We all need to do what we can to protect ourselves from crime & fraud, but the perpetrator is ultimately responsible for what they do, not the victim. It comes down to having a conscience & integrety.  Having these things or not having them is a personal choice, regardless of whether you might get caught & punished or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.