Warning: bind shape matrix is not in standard X-forward orientation.

EnCore Mayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

what's with this message (topic title)? i'm trying to upload some rigged mesh made with Avastar which has never before given that error. everything i've uploaded before was okay. it's not Animesh, it's just a rigged necklace and pendant. now everything uploaded is 90 degrees off!

11 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

what's with this message (topic title)? i'm trying to upload some rigged mesh made with Avastar which has never before given that error. everything i've uploaded before was okay. it's not Animesh, it's just a rigged necklace and pendant. now everything uploaded is 90 degrees off!

Don't take this the wrong way but, did you make it? 100%? in blender?

"There is nothing basic about rigging/skinning. Missing one little step in a Blender tutorial is more often than not a complete show-stopper. Poorly explained features and settings by many tutorial authors also make it difficult for new users to troubleshoot problems. You may as well get used to the fact that when first starting out you will often have to step through a tutorial multiple times before you get it right. Welcome to BA Forums."

Learn to embrace the pain.

I'm currently trying to figure out why something that worked yesterday doesn't work today. And Animesh 1 on the beta grid  just went down.

@EnCore Mayne the warning is normal and expected in current viewers when you have used a version of avastar older than the current release 2.5-1 (possibly a few version earlier if you plucking out of daily builds) and exporting to avastar collada because it doesnt auto compensate for the rotation which was a  flaw found and fixed in the build up to the animesh introduction. You can ignore the warnign if you want, for rigged items it only really affects the rotation when rezzed, when you wear a rigged piece it still pops into place the way it should

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Don't take this the wrong way but, did you make it? 100%? in blender?

and the reason you ask is: ...?

i actually stole some edges from another design i'd made before i installed Avastar. that was when the avatar skeleton front to back was oriented along the X axis. but that shouldn't matter since when i brought it into Avastar (skeleton front to back aligned along the Y axis) i rotated it, modded it, and weighted it from the beginning.

since my post i've not had it go wonky (90° rotated) again. mayhaps, in the battle i had not applied skin weighting? i'm not sure, my routine was getting overridden with frustrations. still, in a new and calmer instance, the warning persists, but only when the skin weighting checkbox is checked.

everything so far now, after a good nap, is working as it should (save that annoying warning).

hours ago, anna2358 said:

I don't make rigged mesh things, but I would start by checking that Scale, Rotation, and Location are applied.  I have had things 90 degrees off when the rotation wasn't applied before export.

not sure if i'd done that initially but the next go round i made sure i did.

3 minutes ago, HunniHope said:

@EnCore Mayne the warning is normal and expected in current viewers when you have used a version of avastar older than the current release 2.5-1 (possibly a few version earlier if you plucking out of daily builds) and exporting to avastar collada because it doesnt auto compensate for the rotation which was a  flaw found and fixed in the build up to the animesh introduction. You can ignore the warnign if you want, for rigged items it only really affects the rotation when rezzed, when you wear a rigged piece it still pops into place the way it should

well, for heavens sake. i knew it had something to do with Animesh. that's when the warnings started to appear. hopefully my ancient version of Avastar won't be completely broken before i can justify buying the new version every year.

1 hour ago, EnCore Mayne said:

and the reason you ask is: ...?

Because matrix orientation issues usually crop up with models imported from other applications. But it looks like the problem has been found.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

10 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

hopefully my ancient version of Avastar won't be completely broken before i can justify buying the new version every year.

Its not broken per-say, its just that Gaia has made changes which compensate for the rotation at the point of export

I got that message today. I had failed to apply rotation and scale to an object in Blender before exporting. It didn't seem to hurt anything.

animeshwithtray01.jpg.ebf2fb2c8289e80604e1b3f5b0442d42.jpg

Animesh with "attachments".

Animesh can't have attachments. But they can have mesh clothing, which must be linked to the animesh. So I made up a waitress tray as a linkable item. The animesh on the right got the "bind shape matrix is not in standard X-forward orientation" warning during upload. I'd tweaked the angle of the tray slightly in Blender, so it wasn't in 0,0,0 rotation. So I went back into Blender, applied scale and rotation to the tray's vertices, and exported and uploaded again. No warning message. So that's what does it. Not using Avistar, so I can't speak for that.

(Both animesh are running a walk animation and a higher priority tray-carry pose which overrides the arm position, and they look the same. The tray is weighted 100% to the right hand. It's a separate object, so it can be used with other characters. This is part of my effort to build a good waitress NPC.)

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Because matrix orientation issues usually crop up with models imported from other applications.

Actually, it's an inherent problem of Blender when it comes to SL content. Maya and Max can (and do) have the avatars correctly oriented X forward and still all the skeleton and skinning mirroring functions still work, as opposed to Blender that always assumes a character to be facing the Y axis, positive or negative, for the mirroring to take place. With this assumption in place, the Avastar team just wrote the collada exporter to perform a rotation before writing data to file. The way it was done, though, caused an incorrect bind matrix inconsistency when animesh was introduced, and they fixed it. This is the story behind it. Indeed it's not an error, rather a warning. Things keep working if worn on avatar and also animesh works, just sideways because of animations assuming a different orientation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.