Deploy Plans for the week 2019-04-15

Bugsly Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (Maintenance release)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/19#19.04.09.526122

Scheduled Tuesday 2019-04-016 03:00-09:00 PDT

2nd roll this week:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/19#19.04.15.526263 4/18

Second Life RC BlueSteel

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/19#19.04.15.526263 4/18

Second Life RC LeTigre

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/19#19.04.15.526263 4/18

Second Life RC Magnum

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/19#19.04.15.526263 4/17

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators.  Nothing beats turning it off and then on again … once in a while.

As always, please plan events around these maintenance windows.  However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we’re not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruption. 

• Thanks 5

So the Status page is showing Rolling Restarts on the Magnum RC, while yesterday you were saying there would be and there wouldn't be.

The only way we can be not allowed to change our minds is apparently if we voted in a Referendum. These things do happen. But I hope you can at least give us a straight story of what happened, when it's all over.

It's pure conjecture, Arabella, but since LL rolled something to the Cake RC test channel yesterday, I'd hazard a guess that what's been rolled to Magnum today is that same software.  LL are clearly in a right "two and eight" over the TP disconnect issue which has hit online numbers noticeably (they are down 10%) and has probably reduced new logins as well.

They notice those metrics , 'cos it hits them in the pocket quite quickly.  I'd like to think that this near panic situation is their efforts to cure this issue quickly.  The "now you see it , now you don't, oh yes you do" situation does not, it must be said, inspire confidence.

Edited by Aishagain

Yeeeah I don't think it fixed much. At least not for me.

In fact, the disconnects have become even more aggressive for me personally.

Siiigh. x.x

I cannot cross a sim line right now without disconnecting.

Edit:

Log on > Teleport(works) > Try and cross a sim line via walking or teleport again = disconnect

Log back on and repeat.

This has been happening to me for 7 straight hours now and it's absolutely exhausting.

At least before the restarts I was able to cross sims, but now I can't.

This whole thing has me SO GLAD I don't pay for a subscription. I would probably be even more po'd.

Edited by s2Pandora

1 hour ago, Sharie Criss said:

FYI, with the latest rolling restart, TP's between regions that were JUST restarted are still failing.

Yep, I already got a couple disconnects.

[EDIT] Crossing sims just walking was one of them.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding more info

6 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

I've just completed 50 teleports between regions in about 15 minutes. A couple of times I got the "teleport failed" message, but was able to do the TP successfully after waiting about 30 seconds. No disconnections.

That's way too small sample size, besides nature of those disconnects is very random to begin with. I had a couple of completely free days 2 weeks ago and did a lot of shopping/demoing/checking in world. Probably around 1.5k of teleports give or take a hundred. Not a single disconnect, even in to/out of very slow regions. And then it did disconnect me 3 times in 6 teleports on the next day and had those annoying random disconnects again ever since.

Today is good so far (for me, but seems like others already got disconnects), but way too early to tell. I'll believe it's fixed only after a few weeks of testing, if I won't disconnect even once (and that's how it used to be for me before), then hopefully LL finally managed to track down the issue, fix it and make sure it won't happen again. It's been over a month already and is beyond annoying.

It DOES seem very subjective but I have found TP much better since the new code was rolled out and once the restarts had all finished.  I noticed that the "black stars"  aspect of EEP has now gone; does this mean, I wonder, that the EEP code has been rolled back?

I also notice some subtle change in moonlight (OK with ALM active, that is) and water reflections.  Possibly a side -effect of the new code.  But for me at this stage I'll give a cautious "thumbs up"; for others it is no better, it seems.  I wonder, do they have the TP screens disabled (I don't and have not suffered TP disconnects to the same extent as others).

This issue has always seemed to be multi-facetted, and there are probably a number of different, maybe even unconnected, causes which will need multiple remedies.

Edited by Aishagain

19 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

That's way too small sample size, besides nature of those disconnects is very random to begin with. I had a couple of completely free days 2 weeks ago and did a lot of shopping/demoing/checking in world. Probably around 1.5k of teleports give or take a hundred. Not a single disconnect, even in to/out of very slow regions. And then it did disconnect me 3 times in 6 teleports on the next day and had those annoying random disconnects again ever since.

Today is good so far (for me, but seems like others already got disconnects), but way too early to tell. I'll believe it's fixed only after a few weeks of testing, if I won't disconnect even once (and that's how it used to be for me before), then hopefully LL finally managed to track down the issue, fix it and make sure it won't happen again. It's been over a month already and is beyond annoying.

My mistake. Not having a TP disco after less than every ten TPs to not having any after 50 isn't a valid observation.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.