Not in Second Life

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

It would be awesome, but I guess LL would be killing their own business model if anyone can host their own regions. I mean, I can rent a virtual server for 10 USD$ a month and keep a region open 24/7 (probably not the highest bandwidth for that price but you can upgrade). LL is incredibly expensive in their server rent, because they have monopoly.

It wouldn't kill their business model. AW has been doing it for 23 years. You don't need to use the AW hosting service. You can host it yourself on your pc or rent one that isn't owned by AW. LL could do the same thing and profit from it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It wouldn't kill their business model. AW has been doing it for 23 years. You don't need to use the AW hosting service. You can host it yourself on your pc or rent one that isn't owned by AW. LL could do the same thing and profit from it.

I don't really know AW, what I see form a quick glance is they have their income from selling anual registration of your "world" to their network, and for extra features. While part of LL's business model is having a huge server infrastructure where they rent out server hosting with all the features included. Can not really compare those two models in my opinion. But like I said, I don't really know AW. 

I just think LL would be left without a lot of region renters if you can just provide you own cheap hosting and connect it to their grid, so what would be their advantage in this? Have to invest to upgrade their infrastructure to allow for these external connections in a safe secure way, and loose money from people leaving their current rentals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I don't really know AW, what I see form a quick glance is they have their income from selling anual registration of your "world" to their network, and for extra features. While part of LL's business model is having a huge server infrastructure where they rent out server hosting with all the features included. Can not really compare those two models in my opinion. But like I said, I don't really know AW. 

I just think LL would be left without a lot of region renters if you can just provide you own cheap hosting and connect it to their grid, so what would be their advantage in this? Have to invest to upgrade their infrastructure to allow for these external connections in a safe secure way, and loose money from people leaving their current rentals.

That's not how AW works.

You still have to pay for the region which is another word for "world" (AW offers different sized regions). Different terms, same thing. 

Not everyone is going to want to host their own region on their pc. Not everyone is going to want a full region, most seem to be happy with parcels. 

They're in the process of "upgrading the infrastructure in a safe and secure way" on a daily basis and have been for over 15 years.

The advantage would be an increase in profits from an increase of retained new users.  Something SL is in need of if we want it be around for another 15 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I truly hope they will do something like that, or lower their prices by a lot! Its just to expensive to run a region now if you do not have a business to pay for it. And its so much fun to decorate them :)

I agree. Wholeheartedly.

I've been hoping for 14 years myself. lol

16 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

It would be awesome, but I guess LL would be killing their own business model if anyone can host their own regions. I mean, I can rent a virtual server for 10 USD$ a month and keep a region open 24/7 (probably not the highest bandwidth for that price but you can upgrade). LL is incredibly expensive in their server rent, because they have monopoly. 

LL is expensive in their server rent (though a region owner is only renting a part of a server) because that's a big part of how SL is funded.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CharlieMack said:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't SL at one time allow one to connect a home or extra server to their system. It required a strict criteria to hook in. Then one day SL said no more.

I don't think LL ever allowed that. Definitely not in the last 12.5 years (my time in SL). An extra server would have to be running LL's server software (the simulator), and they keep that to themselves.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CharlieMack said:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't SL at one time allow one to connect a home or extra server to their system. It required a strict criteria to hook in. Then one day SL said no more.

What you're most likely thinking of are the enterprise packages. However, they didn't connect with the public grid and they were very expensive.

https://venturebeat.com/2009/11/03/linden-lab-launches-enterprise-version-of-second-life-virtual-world/

https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2012/03/second-life-enterprise-was-a-costly-mistake/

9 hours ago, CharlieMack said:

That must have been the Second Life Enterprise project I mentioned earlier. Those regions were not connected to the SL grid but they could be transferred back and forth allbeit with lots of difficulties.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, ChinRey said:

The one in the pictures? It's not in SL at all, it's on my own private grid. The build is 32 sims at the moment and still growing. Even if they are homesteads, it would still cost thousands of dollars a month to have them in Second Life. A homestead only uses a quarter of the server capacity of a full sim but that's not reflected in the price LL charges.

The title of this thread is "Not in Second Life". It's an example of what is perfectly possible technically but impossible because of several other factors, such as LL's pricing policy. I won't say it is a good concept, people have to decide that for themselves, but even if it is, it's an opportunity that was lost long ago.

Edit, oh well! In theory it can be done by LL themselves, maybe as special Linden Homes for those "super-premiums" they've been hinting at. They certainly can use the idea of spreading 24 1024s across four homesteads rather than cram them into a single sim if they want to but there's more to it than that. Quadruple prim quotas mean there's only 920 LI available for landscape and houses at each sim. It's going to be an open landscape so you can't cheat on the LoD and since you have to allow people to use long draw distances (512 m at least), you have to keep the lag down too. So no bloated LoD factors and a very careful texture management. And it has to be an interesting landscape, not just umpteen copies of the same tree. You certainly can't fill up all that space with 14 LI trees with a prim budget that tight. Technically possible yes, but it's not something the average builder can do.

What I always wonder about all the open sim type worlds is this: do they have group land? Because without group land, I think it's hard to offer rentals.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:38 AM, ChinRey said:

That must have been the Second Life Enterprise project I mentioned earlier. Those regions were not connected to the SL grid but they could be transferred back and forth allbeit with lots of difficulties.

That could be what I was thinking of. I was a noob at the time and vaguely recall seeing questions from some who wanted to hook their own home servers into SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.