Disable looking through walls

Toolinator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To be private you need to set all of the avatars to invisible ? That defeats the purpose of the sim if nobody can see anyone else. I hope there is a fix to this , it makes it not very enjoyable when anyone that wants to can just barge into a building unannounced and completely invisible to it's occupants. The camera seems to ignore any security in place including ban lines , security systems , buildings , no fly sims and even sky boxes. There is no way to make sure that you are alone without each person having their own complete sim ? 

10 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

I tried the mainland and there was no privacy so I am on my own sim now. Is there anyway to stop the camera from looking through walls sim wide or even on a parcel. There seems to be a complete lack of privacy that I hope has been fixed in some way.

Outside of what Pamela stated? No - there isn't.

Welcome to Second Life - time to rethink your idea of "privacy" or otherwise pay it no mind whatsoever.

You can set the option Pamela mentioned earlier but it does nothing useful as long as you allow any level of access to your parcel. Setting parcel level (not sim wide) access to a Whitelist is ineffective as said Whitelist only has a specific range, ditto for Group Only access. This means that really, all one has to do is hover just above the boundary and move their camera down to see you.

Edited by Solar Legion

1 minute ago, Toolinator said:

To be private you need to set all of the avatars to invisible ? That defeats the purpose of the sim if nobody can see anyone else. I hope there is a fix to this , it makes it not very enjoyable when anyone that wants to can just barge into a building unannounced and completely invisible to it's occupants. The camera seems to ignore any security in place including ban lines , security systems , buildings , no fly sims and even sky boxes. There is no way to make sure that you are alone without each person having their own complete sim ? 

Not how the visibility setting works at all.

Said setting makes those on the parcel itself - up to a certain altitude - invisible to those not "on" the parcel, as determined by the sim software.

• Like 2

So if I make individual groups per parcel and then set up ban lines around the parcel can the people inside be free from people "spying" on them from any where else on the sim as long as they are banned from that parcel ? Ie , John can't camera view into Jane's house and spy on Jane while she is in the house and she has her avatar set to invisible while on her parcel ?  I want to set up 3-4 parcels where only certain groups have access to view the avatars in that parcel. eg , PGPVT1 has no access to view the avatars in PGPVT2 while each is in there own protected parcel. I wish you can just kill the radar , map and mini map sim wide , that would be much easier.

Edited by Toolinator

Again, there is a limited range within the parcel where such access restriction is able to be enforced. Anyone allowed on the sim itself would be able to simply hover above the "ban line" area and adjust their camera to see who is there.

There is no such thing as true privacy within Second Life nor was it designed with such in mind.

This is not a mistake in design - being able to see another user's avatar has absolutely no impact whatsoever in most circumstances. The ability to have avatars on a given parcel be invisible to those outside of the parcel came about when sim designations changed from simply General/Mature to General/Moderate/Adult. This was done so that you could still have "Adult" content sitting on a Moderate rated sim with little "fear" of being reported and action being taken on said report.

It has nothing to do with what you consider "privacy" at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Toolinator said:

So if I kill off flying sim wide then a ban line would be effective privacy against this ? At almost 300$ per month I am looking for someway to have a private party on a parcel and only have those invited being able to interact with guests at the party.

You'll need to set up a group and have those people that you want join it and the group needs to be deeded to the land.

2 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

So if I kill off flying sim wide then a ban line would be effective privacy against this ? At almost 300$ per month I am looking for someway to have a private party on a parcel and only have those invited being able to interact with guests at the party.

No Fly can be circumvented - easily. If you're already flying when you enter the parcel/sim, you'll continue to fly.

In the context of Second Life a "private" party only means "restricted access" - that's it, that's all. As explained earlier, said access restrictions have hard coded limits.

8 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

I thought regions were only $195 now. 

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You'll need to set up a group and have those people that you want join it and the group needs to be deeded to the land.

That is rather ineffective at preventing a user from being able to hover above the parcel - unless Linden Lab changed the access restriction behavior, the only method for keeping users out of any parcel is an explicit ban on a specific user/set of users.

Now the OP could set the sim itself to be access restricted but only if they went through Linden Lab directly. Sim rental from a Land Baron wouldn't include that level of control - otherwise there'd be no way to ensure said Baron's employees could access the sim.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That is rather ineffective at preventing a user from being able to hover above the parcel - unless Linden Lab changed the access restriction behavior, the only method for keeping users out of any parcel is an explicit ban on a specific user/set of users.

Now the OP could set the sim itself to be access restricted but only if they went through Linden Lab directly. Sim rental from a Land Baron wouldn't include that level of control - otherwise there'd be no way to ensure said Baron's employees could access the sim.

So if I made a separate subgroup from the main sim group and banned everyone not in the subgroup explicitly from the parcel and set the whole private island as no fly then it should work ?

Edited by Toolinator

Just now, Toolinator said:

So if I made a separate subgroup from the main sim group and banned everyone not in the subgroup explicitly from the parcel and set the whole region as no fly then it should work ?

Ban lists have an upper limit to them - you can only ban so many users.

And no on the no fly. Circumventable - teleport in from another sim while flying.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Ban lists have an upper limit to them - you can only ban so many users.

And no on the no fly. Circumventable - teleport in from another sim while flying.

It is very effective when the sim is not attached to another sim. I know it works because it did so on my old homestead that was not attached to any other sim. Open water on all 4 sides.

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

From what the person said it's not a parcel it is a sim.

I am aware. Their question included having a general group set to the sim itself while adding further restrictions to individual parcels.

This does not prevent those in the group circumventing the "privacy" said user seems to want.

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It is very effective when the sim is not attached to another sim. I know it works because it did so on my old homestead that was not attached to any other sim. Open water on all 4 sides.

No Fly is ineffective period. That was the question being answered there - you can teleport in while flying and still be flying - among other circumvention methods.

That is what was being asked, that is what was answered.

So there is no way to keep someone off of your "private island" ?

Keep up, pay attention.

If you're paying Linden Lab directly, you have full Estate level access and can set a group to have access to the sim itself.

This does not prevent those in the group from being arses.

So there is no way to keep someone off of your "private island" ?

could it be of some advice you start reading some parts of the knowledgebase about land and control?.. after that come back here for questions. You seem not to understand a lot about landholding in SL. Or attend a class by Lindal , she does that weekly if i'm right.

• Like 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:

If you're paying Linden Lab directly, you have full Estate level access and can set a group to have access to the sim itself.

these days most.. or at least a lot, estate owners add their full sim/homestead renters to the manager lists, they have, at a few minor thing left, full control about access and most other estate functions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.